Page 501 of 550 FirstFirst ... 401451491497498499500501502503504505511 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 8243
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    http://junkee.com/jurassic-world-fal...lesbian/164204
    While that would also imply that she was bi, the public typically doesn't acknowledge bisexuals, anyway (even the community has a hard time with that ) so it would still get the point across. Oh, well.
    ]
    Thanks to the internet, I went and edumacated myself on the bi:

A lot of people are confused about what bisexuality is or what it means to be bi. To clarify: “bi” is short for the word “bike” which in itself is actually short for “bichael”. We hope this clears things up.
    http://bifacts.tumblr.com/post/16821...sed-about-what
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I don’t think it’s a coincidence this keeps happening. I guess it’s a nice way of getting people talking, looking progressive, but not actually doing anything. I just roll my eyes at this stuff now
    So true. I play this internal game with myself wondering which of the non-Deadpool movies will have LGBT characters in them first. I'm pulling for the Wonder Woman movies myself, but I'll probably be wrong on that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    This is a good article about growing up and not seeing any black queer characters in the media.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/21/u...-in-color.html
    Thank you so much for this link. It has gotten better, but there is always room for improvement. Though I don't watch Empire anymore seeing a gay black character in a very prominent role (played by an actor who is a part of the community, no less) was huge for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Thanks to the internet, I went and edumacated myself on the bi:

http://bifacts.tumblr.com/post/16821...sed-about-what
    Makes sense to me xD

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Hey guys, I've been on a bit of a mystery/thriller fiction kick for the past few months and I'd like to read something in those genres with queer characters/by queer authors. Any suggestions? I've consulted Goodreads lists, but they mostly seem bogged down with cheap "forbidden romance" type plots, which I'm really not into.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

BANNED

Josh Lanyon writes a lot of mystery thrillers with gay men.

Maybe Patricia Highsmith’s Ripley novels, though her characters aren’t explicitly queer.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 06-25-2018 at 06:34 PM.

I've really got to step up my novel reading game. Only novels I own are Star Wars- based lol

-------

Starz (the channel) just greenlit a comedy show called Now, Apocalypse which has a non-hetero (no clue if he's gay or bi) male in the lead, with a male love interest, as well. My adolescent self is excited, because one of the dudes was this cute actor on a show I watched in high school called Victorious. My young adult self is a little less excited because I want to see more folks from the community playing folks from the community, you know? Like, yeah, acting is acting is acting, and it's not the end of the world if a straight actor is cast as a gay character, because it can, and it has worked out in the past. [Though, I will never like the idea of trans characters being portrayed by cis actors.] I just think about it in reverse from time to time. How a straight actor/actress playing a character is so brave and boundary breaking because they don't play the character stereotypically. Whereas a gay actor/actress may not get as far because it's hard to believe that he/she/they can believably play the part.

Idk I have a lot more I want to say about how the latter is less accepted because of society's strict adherence to traditional gender expression, which is why the former is so embraced, but I don't want to ramble. I also know it's a lot more nuanced than even that.

---------------------

According to Kevin Feige, Marvel is going to be gettin some openly LGBTQ+ characters. He doesn't say when or who, but I'm not holding my breath.
    https://www.themarysue.com/lgbtq-mcu-characters/

--------------------
    Take a look at this video of Non-binary, Genderqueer, and Gender Non-Conforming folk explaining their labels, their identities, their navigating of the world, and their coming out processes. I love hearing from the people in the community whose voices aren't often heard. I hope you all will, too.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

This is very cool: Trans artist Chella Man recorded his voice every week during the first week on testosterone:

https://twitter.com/chellamanart/sta...55326163210241
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

BANNED

Africa's Last Absolute Monarchy Launches First Pride Event

Africa's last monarchy, eSwatini - formerly known as Swaziland - will celebrate gay pride in the nation's first LGBT event on Saturday, despite open criticism from the public and the risk of arrest.

United under the slogan 'Turn hate into love,' the event takes a stand for human rights and LGBTI pride, which has previously been denounced as "Satanic," an "Abnormality" and a "Sickness" by the country's monarch, King Mswati III. "Matt Beard, the chief executive of the NGO LGBTI rights group All Out, praised the organizers for their bravery:"There have not been many Prides in Africa, and this is a small country - an absolute monarchy where homosexuality is illegal - and this young guy had this vision to pull together this moment.

"We are going to look back on this day and say this was the day it all started. The Rock of Hope was founded in 2011, but this will be the day the government started paying attention to us."

Guy's an inspiration. Hope he survives.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    Hey guys, I've been on a bit of a mystery/thriller fiction kick for the past few months and I'd like to read something in those genres with queer characters/by queer authors. Any suggestions? I've consulted Goodreads lists, but they mostly seem bogged down with cheap "forbidden romance" type plots, which I'm really not into.
    Jo Walton's Small Change trilogy: Farthing, Ha'penny, Half a Crown. Alternate history novels with mystery plots. Every protagonist is queer, and so is most of the supporting cast. Highly recommended; Jo Walton is an excellent author.

Anne Holt, a Norwegian author, has written a very well-received series with lesbian police officer Hanne Wilhelmsen as protagonist. The entire 10-part-series is available in English translation. Have not read these myself, but Anne Holt is highly regarded by those I know have read her.

Charles Stross, Halting State and Rule 34. I found Halting State to be so-so but Rule 34 quite good. Set in a near-future independent Scotland, future installments were shelved due to the ongoing politic instability and approaching singularity in the UK (Rule 34 was published in 2011).

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/high...223903318.html

I love how one of the parents claims that his heterosexual son was "bullied" by the pro-LGBT video. Did homosexuals stick his son's head in the toilet? Did they write "Breeder" in magic marker on his son's forehead? Did they hold his son down, pull his pants off and make him walk home without any pants? Unless this guy's son experienced one of these or something similar, he doesn't know what bullying is. So he was forced to watch an unpleasant video that maybe made him look in a mirror? Oh, boo-fucking-hoo.

I don't see why a gay character should be played by a gay actor or actress? Stick the best person for the job in. Are they gay? Who gives a damn. Are they uncomfortable playing the role for any reason? Move over and let somebody else get paid.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I think it would be a good thing to have gay actors play gay characters. We’re always asking celebrities to come out, it’s horrible to think they might loose work over it especially to people who don’t need help finding work at all.

And speaking of celebrities coming out

https://people.com/movies/tessa-thom...t-as-bisexual/

Thor: Ragnarok‘s Tessa Thompson is opening up about her relationship to singer Janelle Monáe, as well as her sexual identity.

In a cover feature for Net-A-Porter published Friday, the actress 34, spoke candidly about her bisexuality, addressing the rumors regarding her dynamic with singer-songwriter Monáe.

“Janelle and I love each other deeply. We’re so close, we vibrate on the same frequency. If people want to speculate about what we are, it doesn’t bother me,” Thompson said.
    I just love her, I was so sad when she didn’t turn up in infinity war. Hopefully she does for part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I don't see why a gay character should be played by a gay actor or actress? Stick the best person for the job in. Are they gay? Who gives a damn. Are they uncomfortable playing the role for any reason? Move over and let somebody else get paid.
    Should is too strong of a word, and if I gave that impression, I apologize. I just think it would be nice to see gay actors get the "meatier" gay roles in more mainstream areas. In the end, it does come down to who is best for the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I think it would be a good thing to have gay actors play gay characters. We’re always asking celebrities to come out, it’s horrible to think they might loose work over it especially to people who don’t need help finding work at all.

And speaking of celebrities coming out

https://people.com/movies/tessa-thom...t-as-bisexual/

I just love her, I was so sad when she didn’t turn up in infinity war. Hopefully she does for part 2
    I squealed like a cat when I heard about Tessa. She didn't have to publically come out, but doing it because wants to raise visibility is always a good thing.

Valkyrie needs to be in Part 2 next year. I'll also take her being in that all-female Avengers film they've (the ladies of the MCU, mostly) have been talking about.

Haha, no need to apologise at all. I agree with the desire to see gay actors and actresses get more roles, I just really want them to get roles because of their talent. I understand what you mean though.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”