Page 522 of 550 FirstFirst ... 22422472512518519520521522523524525526532 ... LastLast
Results 7,816 to 7,830 of 8243

Is anyone else here excited about Mayor Pete? An openly gay, married, Christian war veteran is one of the front runners for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States!!! That's so cool. He won Iowa's primary (like Obama) AND he came second in New Hampshire (no Democrat has ever won the presidency without coming at-least second in New Hampshire primaries). So he has a lot of the table to potentially get the nomination. SQUEAL!!!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

I don’t like his policies. He’s also a bit irritating.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I don’t like his policies. He’s also a bit irritating.
    The first time I saw him try to smile I was sure he would not win the nomination.
    I want gay politicians to succeed, but ...
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Oh... well those were disappointing responses...
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Is anyone else here excited about Mayor Pete? An openly gay, married, Christian war veteran is one of the front runners for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States!!! That's so cool. He won Iowa's primary (like Obama) AND he came second in New Hampshire (no Democrat has ever won the presidency without coming at-least second in New Hampshire primaries). So he has a lot of the table to potentially get the nomination. SQUEAL!!!
    I hate his "All lives matter" ass.

He's an empty suit that doesn't represent the best interests of our community

Queers Against Pete highlights the LGBTQ community's frustration with Buttigieg

https://mashable.com/article/queers-...btq-community/

On a certain subsection of Twitter there is a common refrain: LGBTQ — “Let’s Get Buttigieg To Quit.” It’s even made its way onto tote bags.

To some, the “slogan” may appear surprising, as Buttigieg is the only out-queer candidate in the 2020 presidential race. For some members of the queer community, however, his campaign is frustrating — especially as he emerges as the centrist pick, having come in second behind Bernie Sanders in the New Hampshire primary. His moderate policies, billionaire donors, and the way he's distanced himself from the community (last September he said he stopped reading LGBTQ media) are a few issues cited by his critics.

This is not a new revelation, but now that primary voting has begun its impacts are starting to show. Buttigieg came in third with queer Iowans who voted in the caucus, according to New York Times reporting. (They were more likely to vote for Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren.) Since Buttigieg’s campaign took off last year, queer people have spoken against the candidate due to the fact that, as BuzzFeed News reporter Shannon Keating wrote in November, he represents “everything the marriage-focused mainstream gay rights movement has failed to deliver.”

“Marriage equality is not justice or equality for the most marginalized of our community,” Jes Scheinpflug, a community organizer based in Chicago, told Mashable. “He [Buttigieg] talks about marriage equality as if it’s the greatest thing, and it leaves behind so many people.”

This is a sentiment that reverberates throughout the progressive queer community: Buttigieg represents respectability and whitewashed politics. For some members of said community — particularly those who are rich, white, and cis — the fight for equality may have ended when same-sex marriage became legal in 2015.

For others, however, there are many issues yet to be addressed. For example, LGBTQ voters listed violence against transgender people as the top concern that the community faces in the country, according to an Out magazine and YouGov survey released last November. The issue in second place was workplace discrimination; in 26 states, employees can still be fired for being gay.

Now, as primary season is underway, some queer voters are pushing back against Buttigieg harder than ever. One collective, called Queers Against Pete, has a mission of doing just that. Queers Against Pete was born out of frustration over Buttigieg’s policies, like his lack of support of free college, and his actions as South Bend mayor, such as how he handled the shooting of black resident Eric Logan by a white police officer.

Queers Against Pete organizer Gregory A. Cendana told Mashable he was inspired to get involved in a more active way after seeing Black Lives Matter - South Bend protest Buttigieg in Iowa. “It’s important for us to center black communities,” Cendana said, “Especially because black trans women are disproportionately impacted within the broader LGBTQIA community.”

Cendana said Queers Against Pete wants to push candidates, like Buttigieg, on issues that could be potentially harmful to their communities.

Queers Against Pete has “been truly grassroots, organic folks all just connecting through our organizer networks,” said Scheinpflug, who was pulled into Queers Against Pete when someone emailed them about shutting Buttigieg down in Chicago.

Indeed, Queers Against Pete’s first intervention was at Buttigieg’s fundraising event in Chicago shortly before the Iowa caucus. Cendana asked Buttigieg about how a queer teen who has been disowned by their parents would pay for college without universal free college. Scheinpflug asked about Eric Logan. At the end of Buttigieg’s remarks, they chanted “Queers against Pete.”
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

I stopped reading after the first line, sorry (EDIT - okay, went back, tried to skim read, god it was hard to get through that dribble). All I'm hearing is the thoughts of people too privileged, too entitled, and too ill informed of the world (which is hilarious, as they actually think "they get it" which is the very reason they don't like Pete).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-15-2020 at 04:31 PM.

I stopped reading after the first line, sorry. All I'm hearing is the thoughts of people too privileged, too entitled, and too ill informed of the world.
    Pete and his base are more privileged than the people protesting him.

Queer activists disrupt Pete Buttigieg event in San Francisco: 'We deserve better'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...sts-fundraiser

“We need better, we deserve better,” Adiel Pollydore, a 26-year-old program director with Student Action who is black and queer, told the Guardian. “There’s a level of irony that this event costs hundreds of dollars to attend in the Mission, a historically Latinx and immigrant neighborhood. What does it say that this event is not accessible to the folks that live in the neighborhood where it’s being held?”

While Buttigieg has been open about his sexual orientation, with his husband Chasten playing a large role in the campaign, Pollydore felt there was a level of erasure in the way Buttigieg spoke about and presented LGBTQ+ issues.

“Pete Buttigieg represents a very small percentage of the experiences of queer and trans people in this country, being white and being cisgender and being a man, being someone who is highly educated,” Pollydore said. “We know queer and trans folks of color, especially black queer and trans folks, live at the intersection of so many systems of oppression in this country. This run for president could have been a really unique opportunity to lift up those experiences and talk about all the different ways we are criminalized and our safety is constantly threatened and we are shut out of institutions on the regular. But this campaign has not been about that.”
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

a) the fact they call themselves the Q word says it all. Quelle suprise they don't support potentially the first gay president of the united states
    b) they are ignorant. Ignorant of what this could mean. How important this could help gay kids across the world. How this MATTERS! The unstoppable influence this symbol could be across the world. 71 countries it's still illegal to be gay, but let's sabotage a gay man, because he's not talking up about specific LGBT+ issues enough
    c) Privileged because they get to smash "the nice things" they never had to actually earn.
    d) they want their cake and eat it to; and would rather let everyone starve just to prove "a point"

As a gay man I am excited that Pete is doing so well. To have a gay man in the conversation for president of the United States is huge. Even if he doesnt win that fact that he is doing so well is a major deal.

That said I will not vote for a gay man just because he is gay. I have to research him more and find out what he stands for. The Pros and Cons.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

a) the fact they call themselves the Q word says it all. Quelle suprise they don't support potentially the first gay president of the united states
    b) they are ignorant. Ignorant of what this could mean. How important this could help gay kids across the world. How this MATTERS! The unstoppable influence this symbol could be across the world. 71 countries it's still illegal to be gay, but let's sabotage a gay man, because he's not talking up about specific LGBT+ issues enough
    c) Privileged because they get to smash "the nice things" they never had to actually earn.
    d) they want their cake and eat it to; and would rather let everyone starve just to prove "a point"
    Gay kids are overwhelmingly against Pete. His main support comes from older white voters.

Pete has a history of racism. He stood with the police after Eric Garner was killed.

South Bend Politician: I Worked with Pete Buttigieg. He Did Not Respect Black Residents’ Struggles

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/2/...lack_community

Pete does not represent our interests. He represents the privileged.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    As a gay man I am excited that Pete is doing so well. To have a gay man in the conversation for president of the United States is huge. Even if he doesnt win that fact that he is doing so well is a major deal.
    Ding ding ding. EXACTLY! As a gay man, I say: Sameseys.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    That said I will not vote for a gay man just because he is gay. I have to research him more and find out what he stands for. The Pros and Cons.
    Neither would I, same way I don't instantly love everything any gay person does ever. But I'd certainly never actively try and destroy the best chance we've ever had for the first gay president because "waaaaaahhhh, he's not saying every single thing I want him to, right this second." GOD, the disgusting privilege that group is reeking. UGH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    Gay kids are overwhelmingly against Pete.
    Gay kids, or Q word kids

Also SuperBat, it took me seconds to find you're crazy, super pro-Sanders posts in the politics thread.

Gosh, what possible motive does your slander come with, hmmmmmmm...

You're obvious motives to slag a gay man off in an LGBT+ does not put you in the best light...
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-15-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Just try and picture a gay man even thinking of running 30 years ago. Or Hell even 20 years ago. No way he would have been taken seriously. Love him or hate him you cant deny what his candidacy means for gay rights.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Gay kids, or Q word kids
    I repeat. His support comes from older white voters.

He is the 3rd choice among LGBTQ voters. The last poll I saw of his youth support had him at 6%.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Also SuperBat, it took me seconds to find you're crazy, super pro-Sanders posts in the politics thread.

Gosh, what possible motive does your slander come with, hmmmmmmm...
    What have I said that is slander?

I didn't make up the polling and I didn't make up his "All lives matter" comment or him standing with the police after Eric Garner was killed.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us