Page 53 of 550 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I liked Brokeback but too much miserable gay in it to be fave. I tend to get annoyed when the depiction of gay and bi men is miserable and unrequited. I like joy or kinky fun times in my LGBT films. I needed something with a bit more resolution and happiness. I just saw Angels of Sex a few weeks ago and I loved it.

o

BANNED

My favorite gay movie remains one of the first I ever saw, My Beautiful Laundrette, with a young Daniel Day-Lewis.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I'm just glad he didn't say "queerest."

That reminds me- for times that were somewhat repressed, the people of Gotham were quite reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post
    I liked Brokeback but too much miserable gay in it to be fave. I tend to get annoyed when the depiction of gay and bi men is miserable and unrequited.
    I love the tragedy of it (because all the greatest romances of cinema are inevitably tragic) BUT I get what you are saying. It's not so much that specific film commits a crime, it's more you're tired of the trope, which is very fair.

I like joy or kinky fun times in my LGBT films. I needed something with a bit more resolution and happiness. I just saw Angels of Sex a few weeks ago and I loved it.
    o
    Have you seen Y Tu Mama Tambien?

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    My favorite gay movie remains one of the first I ever saw, My Beautiful Laundrette, with a young Daniel Day-Lewis.
    Such an amazing film about sexuality and racism. One of Day-Lewis' best performances (and MY GOD that is saying something). Did you know the bit with the champagne was improved, and the other actor wasn't expecting it?

BANNED

I loved Y Tu Mama Tambien. I don't believe I forgot about that. That would easily replace Philadelphia. I am not tired of the trope when it's placed on an international stage. There was an Israeli film that depicted it in a tragic way but I didn't feel the trope in the same way as I did for Brokeback.

o

Smithsonian Adds LGBT History To Its Museum Collection

The donation is part of larger effort to document gay and lesbian history, an area that has not been well understood at the museum. Curators are collecting materials from LGBT political, sports and cultural history objects from Arizona to Maryland.

Some items being donated include the diplomatic passports of Ambassador David Huebner, the first openly gay U.S. ambassador confirmed by the Senate, and his husband; materials from a gay community center in Baltimore; and photography collections from Patsy Lynch and Silvia Ros documenting gay rights activism.

From sports history, the museum will receive a tennis racket from former professional player Renee Richards who won a landmark New York Supreme Court decision for transgender rights after she was denied entry to the U.S. Open in 1975.

"There have always been gender non-conforming people in the U.S., and we've made contributions and lived life since the beginning of the country," said Curator Katherine Ott who focuses on sexuality and gender. "It's not talked about and analyzed and understood in the critical ways in which it should be. So for us to build the collection means we can more fully document the history of this country."
    Wonder if they included any comics?

There was an Israeli film that depicted it in a tragic way but I didn't feel the trope in the same way as I did for Brokeback.

o
    Would that be called something like The Bubble...Bubble? Something like that? I saw a film that I *think* was Israeli a few years back about two guys in a 'forbidden' romance kinda thing, due to politics, borders etc. Might be that.

An interesting comparison...

SUPPORT Countries which have signed a General Assembly declaration of LGBT rights and/or sponsored the Human Rights Council's 2011 resolution on LGBT rights (94 members).
    OPPOSE Countries which signed a 2008 statement opposing LGBT rights (initially 57 members, now 54 members).
    NEITHER Countries which, as regards the UN, have expressed neither official support nor opposition to LGBT rights (46 members).

I loved Y Tu Mama Tambien. I can't believe I forgot about that. That would easily replace Philadelphia.
    Have you seen any of Pedro Almodóvar's films? He is an openly gay director who includes LGBT themes in most of his movies. I love his work. A modern day Lorca (though often with more uplifting finales).

I am not tired of the trope when it's placed on an international stage. There was an Israeli film that depicted it in a tragic way but I didn't feel the trope in the same way as I did for Brokeback.
    Yossi & Jagger (2002)? Also, to be fair, Brokeback Mountain (2005) is based on a short story, so it's Pulitzer Prize winner Annie Proulx's fault more than the film.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Smithsonian Adds LGBT History To Its Museum Collection

Wonder if they included any comics?
    I know Alpha Flight #106 (where Northstar comes out) is the only comic book issue to have been inducted into the Gaylactic Hall of Fame. So I do wonder if the Smithsonian would include that one?

Africa in pictures: 8-14 August 2014
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28787033

A Ugandan woman wears a mask on Saturday at a gay pride parade in Entebbe that celebrated the constitutional court's annulment of a controversial anti-gay law which had been denounced by rights activists and Western governments...

... This man also joins in the celebrations. Homosexual acts are already illegal in the East African nation, but MPs have vowed to reintroduce the law to impose tougher punishments against homosexuals. The court annulled the law on the grounds that parliament lacked a quorum when approving it

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dodoriazarbon View Post
    Would that be called something like The Bubble...Bubble? Something like that? I saw a film that I *think* was Israeli a few years back about two guys in a 'forbidden' romance kinda thing, due to politics, borders etc. Might be that.
    Yes I think it was The Bubble (Ha Bua) - an Israeli- Palestinian lovestory from Eytan Fox, the maker of the short Yossi and Jagger. Excellent film and one of my favourites ever.

There was another excellent Israeli - Palestinian love story last year Out in the Dark which captured great complexity on the current political scenario. Israeli lawyer falls in love with Palestinian student.

Number of same-sex weddings revealed for the first time
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28878976

Just over 1,400 same-sex marriages took place in the first three months of the new law, official figures have revealed. Of these, 56% were female couples and 44% were male. The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 was introduced in England and Wales on 29 March this year.

The law triggered a rush of couples vying to be the first to tie the knot at midnight, and there were 95 same-sex marriages in the first three days. The figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) are the first official assessment of the popularity of the law change. Around 120,000 people in civil partnerships - which were introduced in 2005 - will have the option of converting their union to a marriage from 10 December. The average age of women marrying was 37 and for men it was 38.6, the ONS said. There were 351 marriages in April, 465 in May and 498 in June.

Richard Lane, of the charity Stonewall, said the significance of the law change went beyond the statistics. "Equal marriage also sends a powerful signal - regardless of the number of couples who get married - that same-sex relationships are every bit as loving, committed and valued as those between opposite sex couples," he said. "That's an incredibly important message for people growing up gay in Britain."

The government had predicted a combined figure of 6,000 same-sex marriages and civil partnerships every year. The first same-sex ceremonies in Scotland are expected in October. Northern Ireland has no plans to change its current law which does not allow same sex marriages.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    Yes I think it was The Bubble (Ha Bua) - an Israeli- Palestinian lovestory from Eytan Fox, the maker of the short Yossi and Jagger. Excellent film and one of my favourites ever.

There was another excellent Israeli - Palestinian love story last year Out in the Dark which captured great complexity on the current political scenario. Israeli lawyer falls in love with Palestinian student.

Israeli films about homosexuality are amazingly poignant and powerful. I think they do a better job of portraying the tortured gay myth better than Brokeback.

o

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dodoriazarbon View Post
    I loved the Bubble.

o

Openly gay NFL player Michael Sam did well in his game against the Cleveland Browns, sacking Johnny Manziel (who's press had dubbed 'Mr Football') after which Sam made the "money fingers" sign that Manziel often makes.
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/mich...ith-money-sign

And the internet didn't meltdown after the gay guy sacked another guy.