Page 543 of 550 FirstFirst ... 43443493533539540541542543544545546547 ... LastLast
Results 8,131 to 8,145 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaJones View Post
    Hello team! I identify as a queer woman (she/her) and always have. I was lucky that my coming out story to my mother when I was 12 went like this:
    “Mother… I think I’m bisexual…”
    “Who the **** isn’t Fleur!?”
    And then we never spoke of it again! Thanks for having me, I’m new to CBR.
    Your mom sounds very cool! her reaction was like my moms. Welcome to the board! love the Red hair!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    I loved Brokeback Mountain. It moved me so much. I saw it 11 times at the cinema (easily a record for me). Must be my most-watched movie. Haven't seen it for a number of years though, so need to do something about that soon.
    Hello Tugger. I saw it in the theaters/cinema 15 times.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    People who do hate may not come around some may need a better understanding or a personal stake in the debate.
    If only it ended like that every time. But you can’t predict the reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    To what? People that hate us aren’t about to do that.

I misunderstood what you were talking about. I thought you were talking about LGBT people who don't know the history of the community. I didn't realize you were talking about bigots.

Unfortunately, there will always be segments of society that hate us. People of color have been dealing with this for centuries. It often seems that they only change after a close family member or friend comes out.

Hello team! I identify as a queer woman (she/her) and always have. I was lucky that my coming out story to my mother when I was 12 went like this:

Hello, welcome to CBR and the LGBTQIA thread!

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    Unfortunately, there will always be segments of society that hate us. People of color have been dealing with this for centuries.
    The difference is their number seems to be shrinking, at least publicly.
    Ours may be as well, but at a much slower pace.

YABBA-DABBA-DO!!!!!!!
    Give this man his own movie / TV series right now
    HA! Yes, any casting directors listening, please do this NOW! (also thankyou)

Kieran, lookin' good! Thanks for sharing your pics!
    Awww, very, very welcome.

Hello hello, and welcome to the thread. Your story is ADORABLE!

We sort of do this 'intro' thing in this thread, if you like, where you list:
    1) your favourite LGBT+ comic character
    2) hottest Disney prince/or princess
    3) favourite LGBT+ couple (real or fictional across all mediums)
    4) your favourite LGBT+ icon in real life.

Don't feel pressured to do it, it's just a little fun and if you'd rather not, that's totally okay too. Enjoy.

Another issue is that there is a lack of any sort of programing on gay history.

When I first moved into the apartment I'm in now, I selected an expanded cable selection, because I wanted to get the LOGO network. I liked it at first, and then it became a place of reruns for shows like "The A-List". Now, it's full of reruns of "camp classics" like Golden Girls, The Nanny, Will & Grace, Facts of Life, and other stuff that you can see on other networks.

Meanwhile, on F/X, which isn't a gay network, they aired the award winning original series "Pose". This summer, they also aired a six-episode mini-series called "Pride", which talked about the LGBT movement in these installments.

"1950s: People Had Parties"
    "1960s: Riots & Revolutions"
    "1970s: The Vanguard of Struggle"
    "1980s: Underground"
    "1990s: The Culture Wars"
    "2000s: Y2Gay"
    Sounds like an awesome TV series. And I agree, so little programming talks about our history or culture. There was one on the BBC not too long ago (two years) but they called it Qu**r something- (I forget) and it rubbed sooooooooooooo many UK gays the wrong way. Really got the tone completely off. BUT it did talk about modern LGBT+ culture, the pressure of body issues esp. among gay men; Grindr, open relationships, etc. Still needs more history but a decent effort (if tone deaf in the title).

Between Ryan Murphy and RuPaul, it's lovely to finally have LGBT+ shows, with LGBT+ cast, about LGBT+ lives. And it to be mainstream, not hidden away at 11pm at night. The future it is looking bright.

Brokeback Mountain had a HUGE effect on my life. I hope you all don't mind if I share.

I saw it for the first time the day after Christmas in 2005. I can remember this because Christmas fell on a Sunday that year, and I work for a bank, so I had the day after (Monday) off, because the banks were closed. Brokeback Mountain started to play in my area, so I went to see it. I mentioned it to my mom, and she wanted to see it too, so we went together.

I was completely knocked for a loop by this movie, and was determined to take my straight friends to see it, but that meant I had no one to talk with about the movie. When I got home, in desperation, I searched "brokeback mountain forum", and found an online forum for fans of the movie. We all pretty much had the same reaction, and were looking for kindred spirits to discuss with.

We were from all around the world, and getting to know each other, and discussing all aspects of "our" movie. We held live chat thread during the Golden Globes and celebrated its win, and during the Oscars, and express our rage at its loss of Best Picture.

Not long after that, one the moderators who assisted with the forum (and lived in Texas) said: "I have an acre of land behind my home, and I'm not doing anything the second weekend in August, how about we all meet up and BBQ at my place."

I replied to her - "Texas in August.....120 degrees? Put me down on the list, but don't be disappointed if you only get 10 people to come."

We ended up with about 85 people in her backyard that weekend, we all got rooms at local hotels, and spent our days with her hanging out and getting to know each other in person. We had attendees travel from England, Italy, Finland, Netherlands, and Australia. We all became fast friends, and this started a bunch of other Brokeback BBQs that took place around the world.

Until 2005 I had been a homebody, but from 2005 to 2015 I became a traveler, so I could see my new friends. To date I've been to about 20 of the 50 states, and to Italy, England (Oxford and London), Germany, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. In fact, in Canada we took a tour of the filming locations of the movie.

The forum is still around (but much slower than it was - times change) but I'm still friends with the people I've met there, and we're all connected on Facebook now. I'm hoping I can inspire someone to hold a new gathering once the Covid situation calms down.
    I loved Brokeback Mountain. It moved me so much. I saw it 11 times at the cinema (easily a record for me). Must be my most-watched movie. Haven't seen it for a number of years though, so need to do something about that soon.
    I love the pic. I remember when Brokeback Mountain came out. Seems like everyone was into it. I remember my dad had no clue what the movie was and was like oh cool a new western. He went to see it. I said what did you think of it dad? He just said Ill stick to John Wayne. It was a funny moment.
    I LOVE BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN!!! Honestly it's in my Mount Rushmore of gay cinema, it was hugely important. So I love all these stories, and that Texas BBQ meet up sounds EPIC! For me, I was a kid in college when I first saw it. Came back to my place and just cried for ages. Not because it end sadly, but because I'd never seen gay love so beautifully and carefully explored by Hollywood. It wasn't lascivious or overtly graphic, the focus was 100% on love (not sex, which is where most gay cinema before then focused too much attention). It was our Romeo & Juliet and I loved loved loved it. ROBBED at the Oscars, should have swept it. #rude

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I'm gonna make the same post here as I did online, because the one I made on Facebook is mini-trending (150 re-shares so far, eeeek that's never happened before), all about Tom Daley and his Olympic win as a proud gay man.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Upon winning his gold medal Tom Daley spoke out about how proud he was to be both a gay man and an Olympian.

To those wondering why it matters, there are ten nations taking part in the Olympics that currently have THE DEATH PENALTY for homosexuality. Afghanistan, Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Quatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, UAE and Yemen. Not to mention the many other countries around the world participating that have laws against homosexuality, punishable by jail time and hard labour.

Over two hundred nations just watched a gay man take gold at the toughest sporting event in the world, including ten countries where he would be executed for just being born. THAT is why it still matters.

#truthbombOFLOVE��

I have found this thread and the people on this forum as a whole very kind and accepting.
    It's lovely having the thread back and more regular posting. It's a lovely place here.

People who do hate may not come around some may need a better understanding or a personal stake in the debate. My dad has not always been LGBTQ friendly at all. he would not watch shows with gay people or even avoid gay people. When I came out he changed (Slowly) He never disowned me but he never would let me talk about that part of my life. He went from that to watching shows with gay people with me to hanging out with me and my Boyfriends. Went from avoiding gay people to welcoming them into his home and treating them like part of the family. I talk about being gay and we crack jokes about it I am very proud of his change. Would it have happened if I didnt come out? I dont know.
    I 100% agree, people can come around, it just takes time. A LOT can change once they actually know and talk to LGBT+ people, or realise people they love in their lives are LGBT+. It will take some deep thought and soul searching, but more often than not, good wins out. So often it comes from a place of ignorance and lack of understanding or education, these are two things we can help evolve and improve.

Unfortunately, there will always be segments of society that hate us. People of color have been dealing with this for centuries. It often seems that they only change after a close family member or friend comes out.
    Some people will always hate us, mostly for religious reasons. The same is true of any minority group, the size of the haterz will shrink and shrink as the world becomes more enlightened, but it'll always exist in some form. But times they are a changing. Since 2000, I've noticed such a HUGE shift across media, and public opinion to LGBT+ rights (and laws, in most Western countries). Some countries are taking longer than others, and a lot of countries it's still a terrible, terrible situation. But I'm hopefully for the future and the positive change we see now on a daily basis.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I LOVE BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN!!! Honestly it's in my Mount Rushmore of gay cinema, it was hugely important. So I love all these stories, and that Texas BBQ meet up sounds EPIC! For me, I was a kid in college when I first saw it. Came back to my place and just cried for ages. Not because it end sadly, but because I'd never seen gay love so beautifully and carefully explored by Hollywood. It wasn't lascivious or overtly graphic, the focus was 100% on love (not sex, which is where most gay cinema before then focused too much attention). It was our Romeo & Juliet and I loved loved loved it. ROBBED at the Oscars, should have swept it. #rude

Seeing that photo gave me goosebumps. I did love Jack and Ennis. Been too long. I had a few BM collectibles in the past - an Oscars (boo hiss) glossy booklet, a Japanese DVD special edition release where the sleeve was mock-denim (cowboys geddit?), the full orchestral score on CD (not released commercially). Several house moves have seen me offload lots of stuff and I do quite regret giving those up.

Kieran - couple of questions for you.

Did you see God's Own Country (often referred to as the Yorkshire BM)? That was a really great film too (and dare I say it, really speaks to me more than BM).

Do you follow Ballum (Ben & Callum) in EastEnders? I don't watch the show but I keep up to date with their story on YT. I love how their relationship has progressed from Callum realising he was gay and coming out through to their recent wedding. The actors Max and Tony are superb in the roles and so believable. I've always been quite sniffy about gay relationships on TV but I am SO invested in their story.

Haven't watched it for years but Strictly Come Dancing (the UK parent to US 'Dancing with the Stars') is getting its first all-male partnership next series (following the first all-female pairing last series, cut short by Covid).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58089932

Who's looking forward to the Sex and the City reboot / spin-off, And Just Like That?

https://www.tatler.com/gallery/sex-a...te-plot-photos

Watching the Golden Girls on Disney+. I know they tackle things like racism, homophobia, antisemitism etc (the show has aged SOOOOOOOO well in terms of acceptance and understanding) but what surprised me most is the pilot they had a gay live in housekeeper. Obviously he got cut once the series was picked up, but nonetheless proud to see him included at-all. VERY ahead of it's time.

Seeing that photo gave me goosebumps. I did love Jack and Ennis. Been too long. I had a few BM collectibles in the past - an Oscars (boo hiss) glossy booklet, a Japanese DVD special edition release where the sleeve was mock-denim (cowboys geddit?), the full orchestral score on CD (not released commercially). Several house moves have seen me offload lots of stuff and I do quite regret giving those up.
    That denim DVD cover sounds like evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvverything! For me Brokeback Mountain, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Carol and Mrs Doubtfire are my go-to gay Mount Rushmore movies.

Kieran - couple of questions for you.

Did you see God's Own Country (often referred to as the Yorkshire BM)? That was a really great film too (and dare I say it, really speaks to me more than BM).
    I haven't, but it's on my Netflix watch-list. I will get round to it once my tour is over. Promise. I hear it's great.

Do you follow Ballum (Ben & Callum) in EastEnders? I don't watch the show but I keep up to date with their story on YT. I love how their relationship has progressed from Callum realising he was gay and coming out through to their recent wedding. The actors Max and Tony are superb in the roles and so believable. I've always been quite sniffy about gay relationships on TV but I am SO invested in their story.
    I'm aware of it, but I haven't watched Eastenders in years. Though I get why many root for it, I remember the HUGE uproar Simon and Tony caused back in the 90s, and their gay kiss that made national news. AND unusual for gay stories, they were given a happy ending, and got back together to go and travel Europe.

Haven't watched it for years but Strictly Come Dancing (the UK parent to US 'Dancing with the Stars') is getting its first all-male partnership next series (following the first all-female pairing last series, cut short by Covid).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58089932
    It's really good they FINALLY have a male/male pairing (as with most LGBT+ representation it started with a female/female pairing last year -- tragically cut short as one of them got Covid so had to be eliminated from the competition, surprised they aren't back this year, to be honest). And I so enjoyed him on Great British Bake-Off. Unsurprisingly people are saying "woke BBC" and "I'll not watch it then". And the one that really gets my goat "why is this news?" BECAUSE IT'S THE FIRST! When things happen for the first time it's news. This isn't rocket science. If someone makes a new Covid vaccine it won't be half as bigger news as when we FIRST made a vaccine. But I always find those people to be insidious, motives beyond 'genuinely wondering why this is news, innocent, innocent, innocent.'

Who's looking forward to the Sex and the City reboot / spin-off, And Just Like That?

https://www.tatler.com/gallery/sex-a...te-plot-photos
    I was never a huge Sex and the City fan, I didn't like most of the characters and... reading between the lines, I side with Kim Cattrell.

I'm gonna make the same post here as I did online, because the one I made on Facebook is mini-trending (150 re-shares so far, eeeek that's never happened before), all about Tom Daley and his Olympic win as a proud gay man.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Upon winning his gold medal Tom Daley spoke out about how proud he was to be both a gay man and an Olympian.

To those wondering why it matters, there are ten nations taking part in the Olympics that currently have THE DEATH PENALTY for homosexuality. Afghanistan, Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Quatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, UAE and Yemen. Not to mention the many other countries around the world participating that have laws against homosexuality, punishable by jail time and hard labour.

Over two hundred nations just watched a gay man take gold at the toughest sporting event in the world, including ten countries where he would be executed for just being born. THAT is why it still matters.

#truthbombOFLOVE��

I loved this story, and I'm so happy he got his gold medal! He's a great role model for LGBT youth!

Some people will always hate us, mostly for religious reasons. The same is true of any minority group, the size of the haterz will shrink and shrink as the world becomes more enlightened, but it'll always exist in some form. But times they are a changing. Since 2000, I've noticed such a HUGE shift across media, and public opinion to LGBT+ rights (and laws, in most Western countries). Some countries are taking longer than others, and a lot of countries it's still a terrible, terrible situation. But I'm hopefully for the future and the positive change we see now on a daily basis.

I totally agree, and I'm hopeful as well. It seems the younger generation is more open to their LGBT peers.

It's lovely having the thread back and more regular posting. It's a lovely place here.

It's got regular posting because we're making the effort. We need to continue to do so.

Have people shared their coming out stories here?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Great to see all that love for Brokeback Mountain. It really is the best onscreen love story to date IMHO. My second favorite one would be Crazy Heart (Jeff Bridges). BBMountain has been one of my favorite movies ever. I still remember watching BBM while camping outdoors with my first love.