Page 544 of 550 FirstFirst ... 44444494534540541542543544545546547548 ... LastLast
Results 8,146 to 8,160 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    It's got regular posting because we're making the effort. We need to continue to do so.

Have people shared their coming out stories here?
    Ill share mine. Not really much drama.

I was 19. i decided to come out to my mom first because I thought she would be more understanding. When my dad was at work I went to their place and told her I had something to tell her that she may not like. I sat her down and told her I was Bi but that I preferred men to women. She just said "Well I wondered when you were going to tell me." I was like you knew? She answered "You spend 6 days a week at Tonys house. You think I buy that you are just playing video games and reading comics." I said it doesnt bother you? "This is 2000 Everyone seems to be a bit Bi. And you are my son so no it doesnt bother me."

I told my dad later. he was quite and then said Ok. Didnt rant or anything. But when ever I tried talking about it the next couple years he wasnt having any of it. he came around though and is very comfortable with it.

My biggest push back was from my Brother in law who would not let me around my nephews alone for years because you know all gay men are pedos. To this day he is still not comfortable around me.

But my parents are very supportive and that is all I care about. Outside of a couple uncles and my BIl I got very lucky with people not disowning me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Great to see all that love for Brokeback Mountain. It really is the best onscreen love story to date IMHO. My second favorite one would be Crazy Heart (Jeff Bridges). BBMountain has been one of my favorite movies ever. I still remember watching BBM while camping outdoors with my first love.

I'm happy to see the love for Brokeback too.

Another good one was Handsome Harry. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

I came out late, considering today LGBTQ youth seem to be coming out in their teens.

I was at a New Year's Eve party, it was about to turn to 1997, and in a few weeks, I would be turning 27.

I was out with my usual group of friends (all straight) and I was having a private conversation with one of the guys I was close to (M), he was engaged to another of my friends (C). We all had been drinking (but not to excess) and I had said to him that I wasn't even sure what he thought of me as a person. He replied that he thought I was a tortured soul, and that I would stay this way until I admitted to what I needed to admit to.

I looked at him, and said "You're right, I need to come out." He congratulated me, and asked me if I wanted to tell anyone else, and I told him I would tell "C", so he sent her over to talk with me.

It was now close to midnight, and I didn't want M and C to be apart at midnight, so I hugged her and quickly blurted out that I was gay. She hugged me and said "Oh my God, you have to tell everyone!". At that point the countdown to the ball drop started, so I thought "saved by the bell" and we all got some champagne to toast with. After all the shouting and singing, we sat back down, and "C" looked at my friends and said, "Hey everyone, Chuck has something to say!" and she turned to me, put her hand on my knee and said "Go ahead, Chuck!"

So at that point I told them all, and I thought I was dropping some big bomb, and it turned out to be a non-event. (LOL) They all knew, and were just waiting for me to come out.

The following week I told my family. Mom turned into "PFLAG Mom", getting me brochures and such. Dad had a much harder time with it. In the beginning if I walked into the room he would walk out. Things improved slowly, but I could understand his actions. He and mom had a difficult time conceiving, so I was the first born son to the Italian, Roman Catholic, ex-Marine.

LOL

Things finally returned to normal. At one point I had a boyfriend over for a meal, and mom said dad went to her and said "he seems like a nice guy".

That is a great story Cellar. I think it is great that your friends were so supportive. That had to make it so much easier. I am sorry your father had such a hard time with it and I am glad he is coming around.

This story makes me happy that not every coming out story is a sad upsetting experience.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Thanks!

I consider myself fortunate that was my experience. I know that others had it far worse.

Thanks!

I consider myself fortunate that was my experience. I know that others had it far worse.
    Same here. I was pretty blessed when it came to my parents. I know a couple people who have been disowned by their family. I cant even picutre cutting a loved one out of my life because of their sexuality.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I'm happy to see the love for Brokeback too.

Another good one was Handsome Harry. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.
    Thank you, I will watch HH

Ok so I am slow to the party. I knew Jojo Siwa was dancing with a woman on Dancing with the Stars. but to be honest I thought it was a gimmick. I had no idea that she came out back in January and that the only way she would do the show is if she was paired with a female partner. Pretty cool.

Invincible Member

The issue is about censorship in general but if you read between the lines the lines, when the bad guy is unmasked, it's probably implied to be Bryant.

Great to hear that more people will be eligible for a pardon for historical criminal convictions relating to homosexual activity (the UK government has said). Still further to go though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59863140

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

The new government in my country (Germany) for the first time includes an official Undersecretary for Queer Issues (official title in German: Queer Beauftragter).

His name is Sven Lehmann, his post is part of the Federal Ministry of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth. Wondering if they will include the new field in the ministry's name, too.

This is wonderful news indeed!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

great news for Germany!!

It's great that there is a thread like this. One that celebrates the culture.

Did anyone watch Q-force on Netflix? I really loved it, it was so much fun, very funny yet also had a great plot. [from Wikipedia] This series is about Queer Force (Q-Force), a group of undervalued LGBT superspies, and is centered on a gay secret agent who is like James Bond, Steve Maryweather (also known as Agent Mary), as they try to prove themselves on personal and professional adventures.

Voice actors include Sean Hayes, Wanda Sykes, Gary Cole, David Harbour and Laurie Metcalf

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."