Page 548 of 550 FirstFirst ... 48448498538544545546547548549550 LastLast
Results 8,206 to 8,220 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It’s a skill not to feel anger at words — and to a different extent actions.
    I have faith that with a position like that it’s unlikely he’ll win an election.
    He may not win. And I really hope he does not. But the fact that he and other people like him are out there. The fact that with his views that he does not hide and they fact he says them like he does and the GOP are still fine with having him on the GOP ticket is so sick.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I disagree. I think that’s great. That’s a major part of what Democratic process should be about.

I don't think it's great for anyone to have those views, but if they do, I think it's a good thing that they don't hide it. I don't want another false sense of security like we had right after we elected Obama. People like that pastor are always going to be out there and we have to be aware of them to fight them. We can't just stick our heads in the sand and pretend that they don't exist or that no one would ever vote for them. That's a sure way to lose.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I disagree. I think that’s great. That’s a major part of what Democratic process should be about.
    No I disagree a great deal here.

Anyone whose platform is one where they are advocating the murder of others based on their Race, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity should not be given a large platform like being a Candidate for a major Party. It gives them a larger platform to spew their hate and it shows other who think this way

"A Major Party is fine with having him on the ticket so of course they agree with us." it is dangerous and people should not be allowed to spew hate speech and threats and tell others it is okay to kill those different in the name of the Democratic Process.

I dont want to pretend they dont exist. We have seen the danger of that. But they damn sure should not be encouraged. We have and are seeing the danger of that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

This is not a matter of different views. This is not a pastor who disagrees with gay marriage or Trans because of religious reasons. This is a man who is talking about killing public officials and executing those different then him.

At that point it is not political views but advocating murder. And at that point he says it on tv in an interview while he is running for office he should be taken off the ballot.

Lets pretend for a minute that this was a candidate that said "Black people who want to be treated as equals are a threat to our national security, Latinos crossing the boarder are a threat to national security we need to execute them for treason."

What would the reaction be?

Looks like the Mennonites are on our side now https://www.abc27.com/national/menno...inclusion/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I posted this in the politics thread. But it needs to be spread.

This is a sick human. He is Pastor Mark Burns running for office in SC. His views on LTGB+ are sickening. Pure sick. This is what we need to fight against at the booth. Anyone who reads this and does not feel anger is not human.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2022/06/...t-lgbtq-youth/
    While this is awful, take heart, he's run twice before and not got in. It's highly unlikely he will win, which is very comforting to know. Alas, people like this exist across the world. But times continue to change, and the number of men (and women) like this decrease with each year that passes.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    While this is awful, take heart, he's run twice before and not got in. It's highly unlikely he will win, which is very comforting to know. Alas, people like this exist across the world. But times continue to change, and the number of men (and women) like this decrease with each year that passes.

I don't know that that is actually true though unfortunately. We thought the same thing with racism etc. If the old racists die out things will get better. But, they raise new racists. Same with anti LGBT policies, rhetoric. You see it all the time with anti "woke" sentiment. Its just a catch all for people to be angry about minority inclusion in media. But, you have new and younger attacks on LGBT people now. New insidious rhetoric, about "grooming" used to denounce things like drag shows. Attacks like "Don't say Gay" bills cropping preying on fearmongering and repeated attacks to breed new generations of hate.

It's never going away. They're not all old and they're not all white. Look at Diamond and Silk or Candace Owens. We can pretend that they've gone away to make ourselves feel better, to help ourselves sleep at night. But the reality is that people like that will always be with us.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    No I disagree a great deal here.

Anyone whose platform is one where they are advocating the murder of others based on their Race, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity should not be given a large platform like being a Candidate for a major Party. It gives them a larger platform to spew their hate and it shows other who think this way

"A Major Party is fine with having him on the ticket so of course they agree with us." it is dangerous and people should not be allowed to spew hate speech and threats and tell others it is okay to kill those different in the name of the Democratic Process.

I dont want to pretend they dont exist. We have seen the danger of that. But they damn sure should not be encouraged. We have and are seeing the danger of that.
    Agreed. People seem to be more and more open about their hatred and if others don't push back, they will just get more encouraged.

I don't think that is the case, sadly. I thought that we just need to wait for the bigots to die out, but young people are still having those opinions, so I don't see much generational progress in thinking. There has been a lot of progress in past few decades in laws and public opinion, at least in Western World, but that seems to be happening despite the huge part of population having hateful and backwards opinions, not because there is fewer of them.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    It's never going away. They're not all old and they're not all white.
    Oh it'll never go away completely, of course. That's the reality of life. But their power has VASTLY decreased; and so too have their numbers. The vocal ones make it seem like there are more, but all polls shows a VAST change in attitude to LGBT+ people in the Western world over the last twenty years. You can even see the change just by Drag Race. S1-S4 queens, most of them had a poor relationship with family, because of their career and sexuality. Now... the majority have very supportive parents, of both drag and their sexuality. Times they do change. I remember being openly gay in the 90s well; where nearly everyone laughed at gay people, made gay jokes, thought less of, looked down on. We had nearly no visible representation in media, in politics. In fact, you lost your job for being gay.

There is such a massive acceptance now in the West, compared to the 90s, the 2000s. It's not perfect, of course. We have ways to go, and we still have people who hate us... but it IS less. VASTLY less. By the simple fact it's not the majority anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I don't think that is the case, sadly. I thought that we just need to wait for the bigots to die out, but young people are still having those opinions, so I don't see much generational progress in thinking. There has been a lot of progress in past few decades in laws and public opinion, at least in Western World, but that seems to be happening despite the huge part of population having hateful and backwards opinions, not because there is fewer of them.
    I don't... understand how you can acknowledge there has been progress in public opinion then say there aren't fewer of the haters???
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I don't... understand how you can acknowledge there has been progress in public opinion then say there aren't fewer of the haters???
    I think the positive changes were done because LGBT+ poeple and allies are more bold now and probably people who are largely indifferent being more accepting now versus being more inclined to be against equality in the past. But the amount of people with negative views seems largely the same to me. Maybe there's fewer of them, I don't know how we could quantify it, but it is more concentrated. I think some people are more hateful now due to those accomplishments, like they were ok when LGBT+ people were just existing on sidelines with few rights, but getting more equality is what triggers them. It's like the situation is a sinusoid, everytime there is some accomplishment, there comes a period of stronger backlash and it's not just with LGBT+ rights, but also with other minorities and with female rights.
    What's the saying, "When you have been privileged for a long time, equality feels like oppresion"?

And the negativity has been especially strong lately with trans people, all over the World. Of course, when people point it out and call the haters on their BS, they tend to just double down and cry cancel culture. I don't see it changing much in the near future, everything is so polarized now. I wish people could just chill for a while.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

I think the positive changes were done because LGBT+ poeple and allies are more bold now and probably people who are largely indifferent being more accepting now versus being more inclined to be against equality in the past.
    You think LGBT+ people weren't bold in the 70s? 80s? 90s? REALLY???

But the amount of people with negative views seems largely the same to me. Maybe there's fewer of them, I don't know how we could quantify it, but it is more concentrated.
    Categorically disagree. I have to ask, and it sounds aggressive, and I don't mean it to be (apologies): but where did you grow up, and when did you grow up? I'm not even that old, and I remember clearly THE VERY MENTION of 'gay' on the news was shocking. Or only implied, if at 6 o'clock news. Everyone was shocked. It was so intolerant that we didn't even get mentioned. Where ONE gay kiss on ONE TV show sends people in a spiral, talking about the what we need to do to save all television from this sweeping monstrosity. Lots of people, not just bible bashing bigots but the majority, objecting to it being featured. That's not true now. The amount of people with negative views has CATASTROPHICALLY plummeted from the 90s. Because it was the vast majority.

I think some people are more hateful now due to those accomplishments, like they were ok when LGBT+ people were just existing on sidelines with few rights, but getting more equality is what triggers them.

And the negativity has been especially strong lately with trans people, all over the World. Of course, when people point it out and call the haters on their BS, they tend to just double down and cry cancel culture. I don't see it changing much in the near future, everything is so polarized now. I wish people could just chill for a while.
    I think what's happening is you're equating seeing online hate with 'there's the same amount of feeling as before in society at large'. Online hate is far more accessible to see; you only need to look at a positive pride post to see that. The anonymity of online as well allows the hate to be less controlled, more open. 90s and before that wasn't how the world worked. But this online hate is including the views OF THE WORLD; not just a country in the west. The world is a vastly different beast. The West... vastly improved from the 90s. Leaps and bounds. We are now entering a time where kids have parents who don't make gay jokes. And lightheartedly making degrading comments about gay people. That's new. That's hugely progressive. We have elected LGBT+ politicians. You think they'd have got a majority vote in the 90s? Come on.

I don't know enough about other countries outside the West to say how much they've evolved. Some evolution might be as limited as "well they used to execute them, now they just go to jail" (which is, sadly, still progress). But the internet also gives us access to spread the information of people's views, of politicians and celebrity views, in a way that was not possible before. So things might seem more transparent but it's because we are able to learn more. LEARNING more about now, doesn't mean if we had that power back in the 90s, it would be the same amount (it would have been vastly greater, actually). If that makes sense?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-15-2022 at 08:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Qatar's official ambassador for the upcoming FIFA World Cup, Khalid Salman, called homosexuality a "mental defect" and gay men "something children should not see" in a interview with German TV that escalated so badly into a homophobic rant that the interviewer ended it.

I guess I won't be watching.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Tina Kotek, a Democrat who faced a pair of well-funded challengers, won the Oregon governor’s race.

Kotek’s victory will make her and Maura Healey, who won the Massachusetts governor’s race, the first openly lesbian governors in American history.