Page 62 of 550 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Such a wonderful film. I'll try and find my review I did on old-CBR (I saved them on my computer) and post it. So visually stunning, Tom Ford NEEDS to do more films. He's barely scratch the surface of his talent.

I've never heard of this, I'll need to look it up. Thank-you for this, it's exactly why we do these questions, to bring new information for us to consume (in a good way)

LOVE Mitch and Cam! They are a brilliant LGBT couple. Probably my second favourite after Billy&Teddy (with Kurt&Blaine coming in third). I love that they posted a pro-marriage picture on twitter, and three years later got their marriage in a glorious 2-part episode (that was HI-LARIOUS!!!)

Wonderful answers, and Anna Paquin is a good choice (and just makes Singer's LGBT cast even more wonderful, with McKellan, Cumming, Paige and Paquin).
    Thank you! This is such an awesome thread on an awesome site, I'm happy to be a part of it!

I raised this in the Minorities thread; but with Big Hero 6 being in a San Fran-esq city; should the film include LGBT characters? Not necessarily as main cast, but should we see same-sex holding hands in the background during an outside crowd shot or have some very "suspect" friends running a shop, etc? Or will this be another the Hunger Games? Lots of LGBT influence, why void of LGBT characters?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    Thank you! This is such an awesome thread on an awesome site, I'm happy to be a part of it!
    We're very happy to have you here.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

“Gotham” exclusive: Victoria Cartagena talks playing a lesbian detective with mad swagger

AE: I’m familiar with the many incarnations of Renee Montoya in DC’s comic books and cartoons, but will you tell me a little bit about Gotham’s version?
    VC: I think what you’ll see with her personality and her life are actually really consistent with what’s in the comic book universe. She is a detective in the Major Crimes Unit of the Gotham City Police Department and she is a lesbian character. She definitely has a history with James Gordon’s fiance. It’s not even a big deal that she’s gay; she just is. So she won’t be going through that “Half a Life” arc from Gotham Central.

(Comic nerd note: The “Half a Life” arc of Gotham Central deals with the personal and professional fallout Renee suffers when she’s revealed as a closeted lesbian and framed for the murder of the guy who supposedly outed her. It was written by Greg Rucka—you know him from Batwoman: Elegy—and you should definitely read it because it is sexy and intense and perfect.)

AE: That was actually my next question. I was going to ask if Renee is already out and if being a lesbian is going to be a hinderance to her career, but you’re telling me, awesomely, that it just is what it is.
    VC: It absolutely is what it is. GCPD has a lot of problems, but that’s not one of them. They’re pretty accepting.

Quote Originally Posted by dahllaz View Post
    I would suck in a zombie apocalypse if they expected me to birth kids. HELL. NO. So while I could deal with the straight sex, I couldn't with the actual point of having straight sex in that situation.

So fyi, don't depend on me for the survival of the human race.
    Hehe... If i could birth em myself i would

I raised this in the Minorities thread; but with Big Hero 6 being in a San Fran-esq city; should the film include LGBT characters? Not necessarily as main cast, but should we see same-sex holding hands in the background during an outside crowd shot or have some very "suspect" friends running a shop, etc? Or will this be another the Hunger Games? Lots of LGBT influence, why void of LGBT characters?
    I would be over the moon if the film (which I probably won't see until it comes out on VHS or Betamax) including LGBT characters, but because it's Disney and "marketed towards the kids", we'll probably see more of your second example, than the first. There was fan speculation that the sauna owner in Frozen, Oaken, was gay and had a husband (I remember reading somewhere that the writer confirmed it, though I can't find that exact quote), but some also suggest that the "husband" could have been a brother, an older son, etc. Of course those very same people probably don't like the idea of LGBTs invading their precious Disney films, so they'll say anything to deny it.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I would be over the moon if the film (which I probably won't see until it comes out on VHS or Betamax) including LGBT characters, but because it's Disney and "marketed towards the kids", we'll probably see more of your second example, than the first. There was fan speculation that the sauna owner in Frozen, Oaken, was gay and had a husband (I remember reading somewhere that the writer confirmed it, though I can't find that exact quote), but some also suggest that the "husband" could have been a brother, an older son, etc. Of course those very same people probably don't like the idea of LGBTs invading their precious Disney films, so they'll say anything to deny it.
    As for for Frozen, that's the impression I got watching it.... But strangely I never thought about it after that

Rewatching Season 1 of the Newsroom this week. Loving it (minus Maggie's insipid love-triangle; god how does anyone fall for her, let alone two people?) BUT... once again getting annoyed at Aaron Sorkin's soap box over gay rights. For someone who likes to tell everyone how it's okay to be gay, it's annoying none of his main cast (or even main supporting cast) are LGBT.

Very please to hear "Gotham" will have an openly LGBT character; will that make it the first mainstream comic show to have an LGBT character? And will Constantine or Agents of SHIELD take note?

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    There are people who think Oaken has a gay family
    http://mic.com/articles/79455/7-mome...ney-movie-ever
    I didn't even notice that. I mean yes the lady to the right "could" be his wife; but she seems way young. The one closest to his age is the other man. Consider some think Elsa is a gay metaphor (and I agree it could be); this makes Frozen the gayest (in the best possible way) Disney film since Mulan.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I don't know; that doesn't say he ISN'T gay, it merely says "it's unknown"

"It is unknown whether or not Oaken has a wife. None of it has been confirmed by the Frozen creators and/or Disney productions."

BANNED

I'm not sure if anyone here has seen this yet, it's a trailer for a new movie called The Loft featuring James Marsden, Karl Urban, and Wentworth Miller (star of Prison Break) , who I found out a few days ago is gay. It looks like he'll have one of the bigger roles in the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEjLOTdrI5I

And for those who didn't know he was gay, here is his coming out speech (kind of) . He also talks about dealing with depression as a teenager
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLRWDAfOzvA

In a stunning twist, a mainstream show I didn't expect now has a relationship between one of the supporting cast and a recurring transgender female character...

Sons of Anarchy, of all shows.

The relationship was played for laughs at first, which of course is problematic, but then the show actually committed to it. I've gotta say, I didn't expect that at all, but I'm glad it's happening.

BANNED

Very please to hear "Gotham" will have an openly LGBT character; will that make it the first mainstream comic show to have an LGBT character? And will Constantine or Agents of SHIELD take note?
    I'll be very surprised if Agents of Shield's Lance Hunter isn't revealed as gay, since he's played so stereotypically camp.

As a straight male but strong supporter of total orientation freedom, I must admit that I'm a bit of a square with keeping up with the culture. I had a quandary and would appreciate some input: what are everyone's feelings on the sudden spike in popularity of the "poly" lifestyle? Is this something that the LGBT community feels kinship with in anyway? I'm trying more to understand and appreciate it, and a particular friend was comparing it to homosexuality in that its not necessarily a choice. Its just all really new to me and I'm curious to what the public perception is, but with honest and accurate info.

Ah, I always wonder about this too! Even worse, someone argue that John Constantine bisexuality isn't important because he's rarely shown with men. You know why he wasn’t shown with men until several years ago into the comic? Constantine was created back then in 1985! He was written during the height of panic and misinformation about AIDS, in which gay and bisexual men were regularly demonized with virulent homophobia. So, I cannot what will happen to Constantine if he was really outed that time.

I raised this in the Minorities thread; but with Big Hero 6 being in a San Fran-esq city; should the film include LGBT characters? Not necessarily as main cast, but should we see same-sex holding hands in the background during an outside crowd shot or have some very "suspect" friends running a shop, etc?
    That... would be interesting. I've read Big Hero 6 comic and there's no romance there expect one-sided crush, so their sexuality is in blank state. Which member do you think have 'potential' to be gay/bi?
    Last edited by Kencana; 10-05-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    I'll be very surprised if Agents of Shield's Lance Hunter isn't revealed as gay, since he's played so stereotypically camp.
    I was thinking, but they seemed to indicate he had a past with Lucy Lawless. Granted a fling with Xena might not be out of question for some otherwise-gay guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    In a stunning twist, a mainstream show I didn't expect now has a relationship between one of the supporting cast and a recurring transgender female character...

Sons of Anarchy, of all shows.

The relationship was played for laughs at first, which of course is problematic, but then the show actually committed to it. I've gotta say, I didn't expect that at all, but I'm glad it's happening.
    Oh cool. That is interesting considering the fanbase for the show seems more conservative judging strictly by which of my facebook friends watch it. (although more tolerant conservatives)

Another show with LGBT content is "How to get away with murder". Two gay guys and they make out plus one is Asian-American so a gay person of color at that.
    I only know because of screencaps but it's a Shonda Rhimes show and she's usually pretty popular.
    http://gallery.superherofan.net/J/Ja...er1x02--04.jpg

I don't know; that doesn't say he ISN'T gay, it merely says "it's unknown"
    I meant the user comments at the bottom of the page, some just insisting he wasn't gay. I don't know, the "wife" looks as young as the son/husband. They could all be kids or maybe they placed the guy in the center to be ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    what are everyone's feelings on the sudden spike in popularity of the "poly" lifestyle? Is this something that the LGBT community feels kinship with in anyway? I'm trying more to understand and appreciate it, and a particular friend was comparing it to homosexuality in that its not necessarily a choice. Its just all really new to me and I'm curious to what the public perception is, but with honest and accurate info.
    I don't know much about it. I would maybe argue multiple partners isn't an orientation and people need to stop acting like they're the new gay. There are activists who want to blast "homo normative" ideas they claim are being forced on them. There are definitely gay couples in open relationships, I run into them on dating sites. It's a little weird to me, you have someone and yet even with the threat of STDs you're going to get more guys? Eh. If they want, it's their life but I don't feel anything with them.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 10-05-2014 at 07:32 AM.