Page 77 of 550 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by dahllaz View Post
    My post got really long, so decided to split 'em up.
    Haha that's ok. I have a lot of the same problems with Remender, but it doesn't stop me from reading the title. I just really like the pacing. I feel like shit happens in every issue, and for me that means I'm getting my money's worth. I had to stop reading things like the Bendis books and Wolverine and the X-men because it just felt like nothing, or at least nothing important, ever happened. Battle for the Atom was the final straw for me. Remender has demonstrated with Uncanny X-Force that he can tell compelling, fast-paced, action-packed stories and balance them with great character drama. Yes, he has fallen off the beaten path with Uncanny Avengers, but I haven't given up on him yet.

His writing of Wanda bothers me (really this goes back to House of M). Having made her character that powerful, she's essentially useless unless they keep her relevant, and they can only keep her relevant by having her do huge, crazy shit (like creating Planet X). Really the best thing for her would be to kill her off. But I am biased, I've only ever read her in events and this run here, and never found her to be a sympathetic character during this limited exposure.

Haha I LOVE Teen Wolf. My ultimate guilty pleasure, mostly because it reminds me so much of Smallville (but much more enjoyable), and it even has the same problems Smallville had.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I know some of you are fans of "How To Get Away With Murder", Shonda Rhimes has some words for a Tweeter who was complaining about "The gay scenes" in it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...ef=mostpopular
    Love this, and love Shondaland. I support her statement so much. Love is love. We're all people.

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Not yet but I'm hoping.
    We're in the process of winning the culture war, but it seems highly likely that Republicans are going to dominate Congress after midterms. If we go on to get a Republican president after that, I shudder to think of how much will be undone in a few short years.

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Hellion, this is pretty on-topic to what you were saying.

"The Battle for Gay Rights in Rural America."
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    Hellion, this is pretty on-topic to what you were saying.

"The Battle for Gay Rights in Rural America."
    Great article. Definitely describes my current home territory. Still amazed that, being raised in such an environment, that kind of mental poison didn't affect me.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

TLL, that was a good article, reminds me of my hometown. It's getting better as people feel more comfortable opening up about equality.

We had an early Halloween party since people are usually busy on it.
    Thanks to this thread I decided on Shere Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! That's Sarah Jessica Parker??? Man, I haven't seen that movie in years; though oddly she's the one that sticks most in my mind (when she sings "Come Little Children" on her broomstick above the houses). I've forgotten nearly everything about the film but that moment. That said, man that doesn't look like her. Has she had work done since?
    Like Ms. Rivers once said, "Everyone one in Hollywood has had work done." Plus, there's age to factor in too.

I do agree that (in the last 5 years) we have now come much closer to the point where people don't feel comfortable voicing their homophobia so publicity (though it still happens). Where as, 10 years ago, you might here some lads laughing about "those faggots" in a pub, nowadays there is less of a "comfortability" (for want of a better word) with so publicly (and loudly) saying such things. It does still happen, and loudly too BUT it's less safe to do, it's less accepted, and it's less tolerated.

That said; anonymous comments really show what some "perfectly nice people" REALLY think when they are allowed to express it. But, as I say, plenty of public posters (i.e. it's linked to their facebook) still post massively homophobic things. Even on this board we see plenty of obviously "coded" shade being thrown... yet if WE made a list of the posters who consistently do it we'd get in trouble (while they are free to post their passive aggressive homophobia inspired posts). Doesn't seem fair BUT... at-least we look far fabulous than them. And that is a comfort in of itself! Hahaha!
    My favorites are the ones where they're like, "I don't have problems with gay characters, but I don't think a character should be made gay. That's not a good way of bringing about diversity." Glad to know there's only one right way to implement LGBT (and racial) diversity. *Insert rolling eyes gif here.*

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Alas, I will miss out on KH3. I just can't keep up with game systems and games these days. I only got a PS3 last year, more for it's internet capabilities than anything else. I am awaiting Kingdom Hearts 2.5 though. But I will just have to live vicariously through future Kingdom Hearts fans and Assassin's Creed fans until I have the wealth and leisure to play the forthcoming installments.
    I got my PS3 last year too, I think. That was my second. (My first got stolen in a home invasion >.>)
    Knowing about KH 2.5 makes me miss my PS2 that my mother's idiot friend/dog/creature sold to some greedy children in Jamaica. I use to play KH2 on it all the time. Loved that game.

YOU NEVER LIKE BOY MEETS WORLD??? Just kidding. Not even Feeny? Sure anything other than hetero sex was taboo during the era in which that show ran, but I feel like Feeny would've been a great counselor for a gay student. Probably won't get to How To Get Away With Murder until it goes up on Netflix, but I have powered through Penny Dreadful over the weekend and damn what a show. Not nearly enough Dorian Grey in my opinion, though.
    Feeny was alright, but something about the show never gelled right with me. I'd say it's some kind of generational gap, I was born in the mid 90s, but grew up in the 2000s; still that doesn't stop me from enjoying shows like Full House, Seinfeld or other 90s shows (even shows from way before then). Just one of those unexplainable occurrences I guess.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Just discovered that Netflix has Queer As Folk (the American version) so I'm happy to get started on that as soon as I finish Fargo! I've been told the British version is better...how do folks find the American version? How accurately would you say it depicts gay culture? I'm just curious, being from landscape lacking in diversity, watching this show is more of an educational endeavor than simple entertainment for me.

INTERSEX AWARENESS DAY!!!!!

Don't forget this part of the community, y'all! They already get little enough media attention and societal understanding as is. Try and educate yourselves and others on the fact that this isn't gender identity, it isn't sexual orientation, it's another aspect of a person entirely.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

He/him/his pronouns.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Just discovered that Netflix has Queer As Folk (the American version) so I'm happy to get started on that as soon as I finish Fargo! I've been told the British version is better...how do folks find the American version? How accurately would you say it depicts gay culture? I'm just curious, being from landscape lacking in diversity, watching this show is more of an educational endeavor than simple entertainment for me.
    I watched this show at the time it was airing and thought it had a pulse on what gay culture was and may still be. It is a fictional drama so some things are just too "gay romance novel" to be real. I loved the characters, especially Michael's mother Debbie, and the portrayal of Brian and Justin's relationship throughout the series. The lesbian couple are great too from what I remember. I should get a Netflix account and watch it again. Nostalgia! I've never seen the British version so I'm interested in how others who have rate/compare the two as well. I look forward to your interpretation of the show. Your likes and dislikes of the approaches they take on relevant gay issues and the relationships of the characters.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

INTERSEX AWARENESS DAY!!!!!

Don't forget this part of the community, y'all! They already get little enough media attention and societal understanding as is. Try and educate yourselves and others on the fact that this isn't gender identity, it isn't sexual orientation, it's another aspect of a person entirely.
    Thank you for bringing this to the thread TLL. I read the article and found it really enlightening. I have always been one of those people who labeled intersex individuals as hermaphrodites. Now that I know better I can correct myself and others. I have always been aware that the labels we put on ourselves and others can be harmful. More love and communication is what we need to understand each other.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Yes I thought that QAF showcased gay issues in quite a bit of complexity back in the day. Need to rewatch to see how it has held up. Definitely groundbreaking. Personally I preferred the American (Canadian?) version. Didn't quite like Aiden Gillen then on the British version but find him so hot now on Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    Thank you for bringing this to the thread TLL. I read the article and found it really enlightening. I have always been one of those people who labeled intersex individuals as hermaphrodites. Now that I know better I can correct myself and others. I have always been aware that the labels we put on ourselves and others can be harmful. More love and communication is what we need to understand each other.
    Ditto. To be honest, I'm still unclear, which makes me sad. Thank-you for highlighting this, TimeLikeLightning.

No problem, guys! Glad you all are open to educating yourselves, that's so fantastic and I'm so proud of y'all.

Hopefully I get time in the next few weeks to learn more about this and share some annotated stuff with you guys.

He/him/his pronouns.

No problem, guys! Glad you all are open to educating yourselves, that's so fantastic and I'm so proud of y'all.

Hopefully I get time in the next few weeks to learn more about this and share some annotated stuff with you guys.
    I can't wait you do post some interesting stuff here.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡