Page 9 of 550 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109509 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    I literally cannot understand why anyone would NOT want to play as a sexy female badass in a videogame.
    I'd rather play as a tough female badass. Armor > cleavage.

Haven't played any of the Dragon Age games yet, but looking forward to the new one coming to the next gen systems. If I were to get one for the PS3, which would be the best?

Did really enjoy the new Tomb Raider game. Playing was fun, and also liked how Lara's character progressed from scared spitless to kick butt. And maybe I just had my subtext goggles on, but I totally shipped Lara/Sam while playing too.

I would really like them to have a girl/woman as a lead in a main console game in the Assasin's Creed series too. I know there was the PS Vita game, but...man, I have enough systems already. Haha. Just couldn't turn loose of the money to by the Vita for a single game.

There's a part of me that hopes there's a sequel to The Last of Us where Ellie is the main playable character. I would loooove to play a whole game as Ellie. Though I worry about a sequel sucking. :/
    I also liked how they had the character you played at in the multiplayer be random.

Quote Originally Posted by dahllaz View Post
    Haven't played any of the Dragon Age games yet, but looking forward to the new one coming to the next gen systems. If I were to get one for the PS3, which would be the best?

Did really enjoy the new Tomb Raider game. Playing was fun, and also liked how Lara's character progressed from scared spitless to kick butt. And maybe I just had my subtext goggles on, but I totally shipped Lara/Sam while playing too.

I would really like them to have a girl/woman as a lead in a main console game in the Assasin's Creed series too. I know there was the PS Vita game, but...man, I have enough systems already. Haha. Just couldn't turn loose of the money to by the Vita for a single game.

There's a part of me that hopes there's a sequel to The Last of Us where Ellie is the main playable character. I would loooove to play a whole game as Ellie. Though I worry about a sequel sucking. :/
    I also liked how they had the character you played at in the multiplayer be random.
    I liked Origins for what it was, though I haven't gotten to finish it. I heard that DA2's story was terrible, however.

I haven't played Tomb Raider yet, but I ship Lara/Sam too. Tumblr has corrupted me.

I also second a TLOU sequel with Ellie. She is by far one of the most well-written female characters I've seen in gaming, recently. On that note, am I the only one hoping that more shooters would have female protagonists?

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Racism, xenophobia, and religious intolerance are everywhere. Yet homophobia is conspicuous by its absence. Sleep with a knife ear, and you could be lynched in the streets. Sleep with your own gender though and nobody cares.
    Many historical societies didn't have a problem with that - as the old saw goes, heterosexuality is a relatively recent invention. So that it's not much an issue on Thedas isn't absurd.

As to the missed opportunity, I can certainly see your point. The romantic arcs in Bioware games seem more intended to have people feel happy warm fuzzy feelings, but there have been tragic ones where reality comes calling (like a female Shepard dating Thane Krios).
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Amazing Member

Only if you don't have the Citadel DLC, then the happys come right back!

In tear form.

I miss Thane.

Quote Originally Posted by dahllaz View Post
    The consensus is that Origins is better. Although I didn't find DA2 bad so much as not as good as it could have been. That was apparently down to deadline problems, so I'm hoping they learned their lesson and gave Inquisition enough development time.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Eli.C View Post
    Only if you don't have the Citadel DLC, then the happys come right back!

In tear form.

I miss Thane.
    "Perfect memory. It sometimes is a burden."

Dang, I said I'd avoid Mass Effect references and quotes since it is presumably annoying for non-ME fans. I am weak.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

So on the former-CBR I started a poll asking about the lack of LGBT characters in Star Trek, but I think here might be a better place to ask such a question.

QUESTION: does the lack of any LGBT cast members in Star Trek bother you?

Basically, over 5 series (all together 30 seasons), and 12 films the Star Trek-verse has never had an LGBT cast member. The only LGBT character (to my knowledge) was the evil "Dark Mirror" version of Kira in Deep Space Nine. Does this strike you as odd? Is it sending the wrong message about the absence of homosexuality in the future? And does it upset you that a series once ground-breaking (first interracial kiss on US television, several POC in all casts) is now seriously behind the times in terms of diversity and acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    It may be the host site. Is this any better?

Yes, that works, thank-you.

Bioware's games are great. I always play as a female, and I always play as a lesbian when possible.

(Ah, Isabella. My treacherous lovely.)

That said, I'm not sure Dragon Age took the right approach. Allowing the player to choose his own sexuality was great. But this is a world being torn apart by bigotry and prejudice of every kind. Racism, xenophobia, and religious intolerance are everywhere. Yet homophobia is conspicuous by its absence. Sleep with a knife ear, and you could be lynched in the streets. Sleep with your own gender though and nobody cares.

I just think that made no sense and was a missed opportunity for some interesting sidequests.
    Never played DragonAge (wanted to, but my laptop is not powerful enough for it). Very interesting point you raised about the lack of homophobia. On the one hand that's positive, BUT on the other... it seems odd to not be included in such a world. But, as Ghostwise says; it could be linked more to ancient societies (Ancient Greek society encouraged male lovers, while being very misogynistic)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    As to the missed opportunity, I can certainly see your point. The romantic arcs in Bioware games seem more intended to have people feel happy warm fuzzy feelings, but there have been tragic ones where reality comes calling (like a female Shepard dating Thane Krios).
    I'm not sure; both Viconia and Amonen's romance in Baldur's Gate II have somewhat tragic results.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I liked Origins for what it was, though I haven't gotten to finish it. I heard that DA2's story was terrible, however.

I haven't played Tomb Raider yet, but I ship Lara/Sam too. Tumblr has corrupted me.

I also second a TLOU sequel with Ellie. She is by far one of the most well-written female characters I've seen in gaming, recently. On that note, am I the only one hoping that more shooters would have female protagonists?
    Oh. Oh man, I haven't even thought about looking for Lara or Lara/Sam stuff on Tumblr. Know what I'll be doing later!

I suck at first person shooters, but I would play the hell out of a Splinter Cell type game with a female protagonist.
    Actually, that could be a cool type of game for Marvel to put out for Black Widow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I'm not sure; both Viconia and Amonen's romance in Baldur's Gate II have somewhat tragic results.
    Yeah, but if you ask me to remember how many romance arcs there were in BG2 to see which way goes the trend, my answer is going to be "LOOK BEHIND YOU A MONKEY !" because that was too long ago for me.

Top 10 comics characters: that changes fluidly for me, but 3 that often pop up are Moondragon, Shrinking Violet, and Storm. I agree that the Star Trek franchise should catch up! At least George Takei and Zachary Quinto are gay!

So on the former-CBR I started a poll asking about the lack of LGBT characters in Star Trek, but I think here might be a better place to ask such a question.

Basically, over 5 series (all together 30 seasons), and 12 films the Star Trek-verse has never had an LGBT cast member. The only LGBT character (to my knowledge) was the evil "Dark Mirror" version of Kira in Deep Space Nine. Does this strike you as odd? Is it sending the wrong message about the absence of homosexuality in the future? And does it upset you that a series once ground-breaking (first interracial kiss on US television, several POC in all casts) is now seriously behind the times in terms of diversity and acceptance.
    I found it very strange, once I stopped to think about it. With the '90s Trek series TNG, DS9, and VOY, I can understand it as part of the TV zeitgeist. The fact that Enterprise chose to continue on this heterosexist road, is baffling.

With Abrams' Trek movies taking a wholly different approach to the franchise, i.e. being a lot lighter on exploration and philosophy and being more action-focused, I don't see this improve any time soon.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Yes, that works, thank-you.

Never played DragonAge (wanted to, but my laptop is not powerful enough for it). Very interesting point you raised about the lack of homophobia. On the one hand that's positive, BUT on the other... it seems odd to not be included in such a world. But, as Ghostwise says; it could be linked more to ancient societies (Ancient Greek society encouraged male lovers, while being very misogynistic)

I think Mirror Ezri was also a lesbian, but I can't think of anyone else.
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

I was never able to get into Star Trek. Or any sci-fi thing for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by SpOck View Post
    I think Mirror Ezri was also a lesbian, but I can't think of anyone else.
    Brent Spiner?
    George Takei?
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif