Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Very hit or miss. And when it missed...
    ..It hit the guy between his eyes, not the apple...

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Cho was hired onto Bendis's Mighty Avengers run as ongoing penciler and that didn't last

Hawkeye got fill ins before it hit double digits then to switch it up they switched to Kate getting her solo arcs which also got delays

You're skipping over that a lot of popular tpbs only share one writer's vision and that's it, look at how many artist have been in Hickman's Avengers and Bendis's X-Men yet both are on the best sellers list. One writer one artist is reserved for indy books
    Mainstream assembly line comics (of which Hickman's Avengers is one) rarely become perennial evergreen sellers, and Hickman's books for Marvel are not evergreen books-few if any have gotten second printings in trades let alone been kept in print like a true evergreen. What Hickman books that do hav ea chance tobecome evergreen books are his creator-owned stuff all with one specific artist collaborating to create the unified vision.

As for Cho got, he got hired once as an ongoing artist for Marvel and it didn't work, hence only being hired for arcs since, and what aside from Liberty Meadows that Cho has done have become evergreen books?

One of the things that inhibits growth of comics outside the hardcore audience is the lack of consistency in the visual storytelling on stories. Look at the books that are crossing over into the mainstream-Walking Dead, Saga, etc. or the books that have become evergreen books-Bone, Watchmen, Sandman, Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, Y-The Last Man, Preacher, Daredevil Born Again, etc. i.e. books that keep their audience and don't lose steam after 1 printing of the collection-the trait they all share in common is that unity is both story and art for the most part. Comics are a visual medium and need the visuals to be consistent if they are going to expand their audience beyond the niche market they currently have.

The long term growth will not come from the period where the Coates issues come out monthly, the long term growth will come if the Coates run becomes an evergreen seller in collected form, and that will require a consistency in both art and story that comes form a single creative team not rotating artists, and whatever delays occur in the release as floppies will be forgotten when it is collected and presented as a unified whole for all the years after it has been released bring audiences (hopefully) not just during his run on the book but long after whenever Coates or Stelfreeze does something else (either in comics of outside of comics) and gets people looking for their stuff.

You're skipping over the fact that a lot of "popular" tpbs that lack consistent artistic presentation do not have an extended shelf-life and go out of print as a rule ( with very few exceptions) and do not garner long term growth outside the regular customer base that already exists ans accepts the lack of consistency in their favorite books. Those books tend to get blown out in bargain bins (I see Hickman avengers trades and Bendis X-Men trades at cons for $5 each all the time as those best sellers to retailers didn't wind up in end customers hands and best seller to retailers doesn't expand your audience if no one buys them form retailers and reads them). Yes I rarely see those evergreen books with consistent art and story that are kept continually in print wind up in clearance/bargain bins because retailers can't sell them to end customers.

-M

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    A mystery that can be solved with a Google search
    You're assuming that everyone also likes this artist. I know he's technically good but his art isn't to my taste so I wouldn't follow him to a book I wasn't already interested in for character and/or writer so why Google him? I'm sure that's a lot of the reason why most of us unfamilar with the greater body of his work remain that way...

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    At least in that particular scene to me they sounded more like advisers rather than an actual check and balance against T'Challa's authority. Though it's been awhile since I read the story so maybe they've got a bit more teeth than I'm recalling.

Either way they're certainly expressing valid concerns. I wish they'd explore more the views of Wakandans over some of the choices T'challa has made in recent years. There's definitely a lot of interesting drama they mine there.
    Which is why I have trouble following heroes who are rulers. You can't be a globe trotting adventurer and seriously rule a country. You can be a figurehead and do that but not sole ruler. Imagine if our president also fought crime in England. It'd be a clusterfuck. I can suspend disbelief about a lot to read comics but not that...

(And am I the only one who uses the spell check on people's posts when replying with quote when the misspellings barely register at all when reading the original post?)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve068 View Post
    You're assuming that everyone also likes this artist. I know he's technically good but his art isn't to my taste so I wouldn't follow him to a book I wasn't already interested in for character and/or writer so why Google him? I'm sure that's a lot of the reason why most of us unfamilar with the greater body of his work remain that way...

Which is why I have trouble following heroes who are rulers. You can't be a globe trotting adventurer and seriously rule a country. You can be a figurehead and do that but not sole ruler. Imagine if our president also fought crime in England. It'd be a clusterfuck. I can suspend disbelief about a lot to read comics but not that...

(And am I the only one who uses the spell check on people's posts when replying with quote when the misspellings barely register at all when reading the original post?)
    Yeah, one has to wonder what the GOP would be saying about Obama if he spent even half his time fighting crime in France or something.

Of course because it's a comic we can suspect our belief on the matter if we have to. But I did like the fact that Shuri being ruler of Wakanda meant we didn't have to. She was the ruler and he was their protector. It was a nice and clean sollution to it. I think I'll miss that a little bit. On the plus side it does sound like Coates will be addressing the issue head on... that should make for some interesting reading.