Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

i finished re-reading mystery theatre yesterday, great timing to see this thread bump.

love the book to death. wesley and dian had one of the most authentic relationships in comics.

we all respond different emotionally for different reasons, but as a husband whose wife has lost four children to miscarriage, for my money the end of the goblin packs an emotional gut punch like no other scene in a comic book ever has. the scene where wes breaks down and admits he misses his unborn child gets me every time.

BANNED

I loved Sandman Mystery Theather... as far as i read at least. (dc didn't publish the entire run as tpbs... that was really lame)

What was so fantastic was reading The Starman (James Robinson run) Omnibus vol. 2 after The Mystery Theather. Wesley was at his prime at 40s in The Mystery Theather and 40s had its charm in its own way and everything but later on when i read The Starman Omnibus vol. 2 Wesley was very old in it, a retired hero who teamed up with Starman for a last adventure in modern times... that was so touching. Knowing and loving the character he was and how he aged now... to see that... my heart just melted lol it was a really good reading experince.

Sandman (Wesley Dodds) is my favorite JSA member.
    Last edited by Batarang; 02-02-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    . . . What was so fantastic was reading The Starman (James Robinson run) Omnibus vol. 2 after The Mystery Theather. Wesley was at his prime at 40s in The Mystery Theather and 40s had its charm in its own way and everything but later on when i read The Starman Omnibus vol. 2 Wesley was very old in it, a retired hero who teamed up with Starman for a last adventure in modern times... that was so touching. Knowing and loving the character he was and how he aged now... to see that... my heart just melted lol it was a really good reading experince.
    And don't forget

MADAME XANADU: EXODUS NOIR VOL. 2

had Madame Xanadu meeting up with the Sandman Mystery Theatre version in the 1940s.

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

Wesley Dodds is simply one of the greatest comic book characters ever created!
    seriously, look at him, how is it possible this guy is not treated as an A lister?

i would love to read a Sandman Mystery Theater sequel.
    Last edited by dr-brainwave; 02-02-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    As I just posted in another thread,
    As for the more recent Sandman Mystery Theatre trade paperbacks, Book One came out in June of 2016; Book Two was released at the end of 2016; and amazon.com shows that a Book Three is planned for release this June?
    We'll have to wait and see if they continue with these beyond where the previous tpb collection ended.
    And that Book Three collection which was due out last month was apparently cancelled with no new date announced for if/when it may still get released?
    (Though for some unknown reason the DC/Vertigo website makes it sound as if it's already available?)

BANNED

Wesley is the man. Out of all the Golden Age members of the JSA, he's one of only two (The other being Ted Grant) who I don't prefer a legacy character of theirs over.

Favorite story of his is probably [I]Sand and Stars/I] from Starman.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Since dc can't seem to get the series reprinted, I've decided to just get the actual issues...found a little over half the run at a local used book store for fifty cents each!!

The Sandman was always my favorite JSA'er. He looked so cool in his suit and cape with his gasmask. A very unique character. Very mysterious looking.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    The Sandman was always my favorite JSA'er. He looked so cool in his suit and cape with his gasmask. A very unique character. Very mysterious looking.
    It was a great look and much better than the superhero duds he wore later on.

The Famous First Edition issue of All-Star Comics #3 (back in '75) is most likely when I first saw him, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It was a great look and much better than the superhero duds he wore later on.

The Famous First Edition issue of All-Star Comics #3 (back in '75) is most likely when I first saw him, FWIW.
    And, if people haven't already participated,

BANNED

The Gas Gun is at least a top ten accessory in the DC Universe. In 2017 i still can't get over how cool he looks with such a simple look.

goldenagesandman_color.jpg

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Agree!
    Why license other companies pulp heroes, when they have their own they should be developing.
    To be fair, the Spirit is a great character with a huge legacy. It makes sense that DC would want to publish Eisner's creation.

I'd like to see a pulp character get the 90s Vertigo book treatment again.

From his first Golden Age story (reprinted in the 1970s):

You can read the rest of it here: http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blo...trikes-by.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    I am in hopes that one fine day, DC might go ahead and finish up their Archive collection of the Golden Age Sandman with a volume two...The Simon and Kirby run on Sandman deserves a solid and classy reproduction. Plus, there are still a few more of the gas mask era adventures of the character that has not yet seen the light of day.
    I'd love if DC collected those "gas mask era adventures" in a tpb collection or two.

(Hell, it was back in 2004 that the one Archives volume was originally available!)

Extraordinary Member

I'd love if DC collected those "gas mask era adventures" in a tpb collection or two.
    Btw. who long was his gas mask era actually? I never read the original comics, but in All-Star-Squadron it seemed that he and the Crimson Avenger switched their iconic costumes pretty early for spandex.