52 50.98%
  • Nope

38 37.25%
  • 50/50

12 11.76%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbgo View Post
    Miller is in really poor health. I question how much input he really has in this thing. 8 issues is really pushing it too. The original series weren't even that long. This is a quick marketing tie-in for the new Batman v. Superman/DC Extended Universe movie franchise launch. I wouldn't put it past DC to ghostwrite the books using Miller's name. They need all the help they can get. The trailer for "Suicide Squad" is still more successful than "Batman v Superman"'s. That's got them scared.
    That's not only presumptuous, and ignorant, it's insulting.

Miller and Azz aren't writing this issue by issue, right now. It's written. It's not even just written, by all accounts in the know, it's been through drafts and revisions.

But, yeah, I'm sure that DC is afraid that one of their own properties will outsell, in another medium, one of their own properties. Because they'll somehow lose money to themselves.

And, so the man who walked away from DC when DC was being ghoulishly corporate, a man who has spent decades championing creator's writes, fighting for creator recognition, for fair treatment of comics talent, and writing and drawing against the grain of the fast buck or easy sell, has surrendered his name to be slapped on whatever. Or, somehow had his name stolen used by people he considers friends and colleagues because DC is afraid one of their own properties will outdo one of their own properties in another medium.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Miller is in really poor health. I question how much input he really has in this thing. 8 issues is really pushing it too. The original series weren't even that long. This is a quick marketing tie-in for the new Batman v. Superman/DC Extended Universe movie franchise launch. I wouldn't put it past DC to ghostwrite the books using Miller's name. They need all the help they can get.
    What an absolute load of bollocks.

The trailer for "Suicide Squad" is still more successful than "Batman v Superman"'s. That's got them scared.
    That's your reasoning? You realise the BvS trailer has been reuploaded in more places than Suicide Squad so the total views are split? And successful? What even? It's a trailer. It's purpose is to generate hype, and it has. There'll be more of them. Do you think people really give a shit about view counts, enough that they'd essentially steal Miller's name to write promo comics?
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 09-26-2015 at 11:51 AM.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

We don't even know much about the plot of DK3 yet. For all we know, it could have nothing to do with Batman fighting Superman, and instead just focus on them for eight issues having a tea party and discussing PC gaming and the importance of mighty fine coats.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Just received DK2 in the mail. I have never read it...now I guess I will see if I love it or hate like most others (who seem to have strong opinions either way).

Maybe this will scare me away from DK3...

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I'm not a fan of Jim Lee's by a long stretch, but I thought he did the work of his career on ASBAR. He managed to loosen up a bit and lose his usual stiffness. I'm not saying another artists wouldn't have been better, but I don't think Lee hurt it too badly.

I think Aragones would have been a bad fit for the more serious bits. Bill Seinkeiwicz would have been great.
    Agreed, it works because Lee plays it straight. Just like his Master Men issue in Multiversity.
    And yes it is his best art, along with williams and sinclair, inking and coloring respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Just received DK2 in the mail. I have never read it...now I guess I will see if I love it or hate like most others (who seem to have strong opinions either way).

Maybe this will scare me away from DK3...
    Oh, tell us what you think!

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Oh, tell us what you think!
    Just had time to read book 1 of DK2. I really really am enjoying it so far.

The beginning of the book and the way the panels are laid out and the way the narrative is it makes me feel like I am reading DKR again. What happened to Ray Palmer just blew my mind! Kept in a petri dish! OMG, genius! Loved that our little Robin has taken a new ID as well; her stuffing Ray in her mouth and then accidentally swallowing him had me lol.

Loved seeing Ron and Don again; two of my fav's from DKR.

Barry Allen a Hamster working to keep us all in lights? OMG, another genius stroke in my opinion

As far as Kal is concerned; after reading DKR a hundred times I still didn't think Miller really hated Kal or made him look like too much of a turd...After seeing what Miller has made Kal into (so far) this series I might have to agree to with others that Miller must truly hate our Blue and Red boy scout. To be aware of what is being done to Ray and Barry and do nothing about it just sickens me! I know latter on we see that Braniac is holding Kandor hostage, but he had done that before and Kal didn't let such things go on....

Diana looked stunning still, but Cpt. Marvel's looks made me LMFAO!

The final nail in the coffin (for Kal) was him being soooo pissed off it looks like he could shatter the whole planet, but when he arrives in the Batcave he basically gets his ass handed to him by Barry, Ollie (like the new arm), and Ray... then to top it all off; Bruce jumps in and beats him like Egg! I mean; DAMN! That was an ass whoopin'!

Cannot wait to read book 2 and 3 tomorrow......... Can't type anymore, I am out of breath after that issue.

9 out of 10 stars in my book!

Seeing someone freshly coming to a comic you've "lived with" for ages is always so fun. Thanks for posting that, Mantis Girl.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    That's your reasoning? You realise the BvS trailer has been reuploaded in more places than Suicide Squad so the total views are split? And successful? What even? It's a trailer. It's purpose is to generate hype, and it has. There'll be more of them. Do you think people really give a shit about view counts, enough that they'd essentially steal Miller's name to write promo comics?
    And regardless of the "success" of a trailer, you'd have to be nuts to think that Warner Bros or DC are worried at all about how BvS will do at the box office. It could be a total critical failure and still make an absolute killing. Suicide Squad is the one they're going to have to try and sell to people. The other one's title consists of two of the most recognizable and marketable fictional pop culture icons of all time. Period. They don't need to crap out a tie-in comic to sell tickets. I'm weary of this book but there's no doubt in my mind that it's coming out because Frank Miller wants it to, not because DC bothered him to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    As far as Kal is concerned; after reading DKR a hundred times I still didn't think Miller really hated Kal or made him look like too much of a turd...After seeing what Miller has made Kal into (so far) this series I might have to agree to with others that Miller must truly hate our Blue and Red boy scout. To be aware of what is being done to Ray and Barry and do nothing about it just sickens me! I know latter on we see that Braniac is holding Kandor hostage, but he had done that before and Kal didn't let such things go on....
    Yeah, I never really had a problem with how he portrayed Superman in TDKR. Would the character as we know it allow himself to become a government lackey? No, but it's essentially an Elseworlds story and it's Batman that drives them toward throwing punches. But he does a number on the Man of Steel in DKSA... yeah. And it doesn't end at that chapter! Once you finish the book I think you'll have an idea of where DKIII is headed. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post
    Yeah, I never really had a problem with how he portrayed Superman in TDKR. Would the character as we know it allow himself to become a government lackey? No, but it's essentially an Elseworlds story and it's Batman that drives them toward throwing punches. But he does a number on the Man of Steel in DKSA... yeah. And it doesn't end at that chapter! Once you finish the book I think you'll have an idea of where DKIII is headed. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the rest!
    spoilers:
    He's doing it to save lives. Millions of lives, including those of cultures/species that are at near-excinction populations.

But, also, the beatdown he receives in issue one isn't just a beatdown, they're using that as a facade to plant a communications device on him without Luthor and Braniac being the wiser.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    spoilers:
    He's doing it to save lives. Millions of lives, including those of cultures/species that are at near-excinction populations.

But, also, the beatdown he receives in issue one isn't just a beatdown, they're using that as a facade to plant a communications device on him without Luthor and Braniac being the wiser.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I get that, but it's the part where Batman swoops in and declares, "Alright idiots let's go save your people now and by the way I'm in charge and you're taking orders from me and THAT'S FINAL GODDAMIT." I was like, really? You're telling me Superman never thought to actually try and save his people? I know Batman is the strategist of the bunch but I felt like Frank just saw Superman as the big muscular dumb-dumb who's all brawn and no brains whatsoever. He's not as smart as Bruce but he's still very intelligent.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I get that, but it's the part where Batman swoops in and declares, "Alright idiots let's go save your people now and by the way I'm in charge and you're taking orders from me and THAT'S FINAL GODDAMIT." I was like, really? You're telling me Superman never thought to actually try and save his people? I know Batman is the strategist of the bunch but I felt like Frank just saw Superman as the big muscular dumb-dumb who's all brawn and no brains whatsoever. He's not as smart as Bruce but he's still very intelligent.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's the same, to me, as him telling Robin in DKR that if she disobeys she's fired but never fires her. Or, Wonder Woman kinda bullying Superman into standing up and getting back in the game. He's trying to push Superman into action. He can't actually be Superman's boss any longer than Superman accepts him as his boss, but Superman has to learn to get there and stop trying to be the little guy. Miller's Superman is too repressed. Which, yeah, isn't the greatest take ever, but it's a good take for a repressed-in-other-ways Batman story. If it was a Superman story, it'd be, I dunno, Superman showing Batman he can stand in the sun and have sex more, probably. Smell the flowers. Be a worker.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

And regardless of the "success" of a trailer, you'd have to be nuts to think that Warner Bros or DC are worried at all about how BvS will do at the box office. It could be a total critical failure and still make an absolute killing.
    Eh, Man Of Steel did not do that well at all, especially domestically.
    If I were DC I'd just shrug because the succes of the film wouldn't affect me in any real way.
    If I were WB I'd be a nervous wreck.

Is water wet?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

The Dark Knight is very much about dismantling a corrupt structure that Superman protects and represents. Supermans is out of ideas and meant to be ridiculous.

I just dislike that this became the only dynamic Superman and Batman shared. Instead of this being a caricature of Superman at his worst, it became a default setting. I definietly see Supeeman as the enlightened man, so playing him as naive or manipulated is against type. It's okay for the story though.

I think this new book is going to be the Batman Family vs. The Wonderwoman/Superman Family. Battle of the Supersons!
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 09-27-2015 at 08:18 AM.