• Yes i will

52 50.98%
  • Nope

38 37.25%
  • 50/50

12 11.76%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    He explicitly shows them, for that matter, to be rather irreligious at the higher levels, just as he does with the nominally Catholic terrorists. It's a problematic comic, no doubt, and I'm not huge on Miller's apparent belief that balanced representation is desirable or his indulgence in objectification, but Holy Terror wasn't quite as one note or dumb as I think a lot of people wanted it to be. I suspect that, had it been a Batman comic, it actually might have been, though. Removing it from Batman and DC seems to have freed up Miller to be critical of a lot more, and to give less easy answers to anything.
    You do realise that DC rejected that idea because even they saw how offensive it was right? Hell, Morrison was outspoken against Holy Terror. Any nuance that exists in this book is entirely in the reader's head.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just finished DKSA and it ends (SPOILERS).....

With the Kandorians free, Superman and his daughter look over the Earth and say to each other, "What exactly shall we do with our planet?"

The Master Race must be power mad Kryptonians. Superman comes off as such a weak minded and helpless lummox in this series. I really think Miller wants him to be a symbol for a corrupted version of the U.S filled with empty and naive ideals, all power with no integrity. (I loved the Question and Green Arrow in this book!)
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 10-01-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    No one involved has ever done a story like that and it seems implausible that DC would publish it if they did, but Miller and Azzarello, both, have been vocally anti racial supremacists in both serious and comedic works.)
    Well DC did publish Millenium - but no-one seemed to notice the pro-master race side to that story

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Any nuance that exists in this book is entirely in the reader's head.
    You could have saved me, and others, a lot of time and just said "I know all, and anyone who disagrees with me has nothing to contribute." Or, gone straight to that "it's entirely in your head."

I'm sorry I wasted your time trying to address specific points, like this was a conversation. I forget sometimes that just because I value what posters say and try to see their side, acknowledge their evidence, there are posters who are sure that anyone who sees something they don't or feels a way they don't, it's "entirely in the reader's head" and can't possibly just be a valid opinion or interpretation that doesn't jibe with their own taste.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Well DC did publish Millenium - but no-one seemed to notice the pro-master race side to that story
    DC has had some weird racial blindspots at times. Sometimes deliberately willed blindspots like the Japanese caricatures invading in a line-wide event.

For that matter, Marvel thought it was reasonable to have Cyclops call someone a "camel jockey" at one point. (Moon Knight has been explicitly bigoted against Muslims and Arabic people, both, but that seems to have been written knowingly and fairly as a bigotry.)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Miller can write what he pleases, but then he better be prepared for what people have to say about it (which btw is also free speech).
    Frank Miller is a hugely accomplished creator and innovator. He does not care about you or your angry internet opinions.

As someone who has first-hand experience living in an overwhelmingly Muslim country, I really enjoyed Holy Terror.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Frank Miller is a hugely accomplished creator and innovator. He does not care about you or your angry internet opinions.
    Doesn't mean it's okay for him to falsely attribute a quote to someone, though, does it?

As someone who has first-hand experience living in an overwhelmingly Muslim country, I really enjoyed Holy Terror.
    As someone currently living in one (and working with non-Muslims who are thoroughly enjoying living in 'an overwhelmingly Muslim country'), I'm quite intrigued as to why. Your sentence, to me, seems loaded with (bad) experience(s).

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default Dark Knight 3 .... Do you care?

It seem like at least a few times a week there is an article on CBR about Millers Dark Knight 3 trying to build up hype, and yet on the boards it seems like no one really cares about it. I know I personally have no interest in it after the let down that was the "The Dark Knight Strikes Again". The fact that I have not been impressed with anything Miller has written in a long time probably doesn't help either.

So is there a lot of interest in this or is DC banking to much on nostalgia and name recognistion?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It seem like at least a few times a week there is an article on CBR about Millers Dark Knight 3 trying to build up hype, and yet on the boards it seems like no one really cares about it. I know I personally have no interest in it after the let down that was the "The Dark Knight Strikes Again". The fact that I have not been impressed with anything Miller has written in a long time probably doesn't help either.

So is there a lot of interest in this or is DC banking to much on nostalgia and name recognistion?
    A simple yes.

BANNED

I'm not buying it until I've heard its good. Miller hasn't done enough quality work in ages and he sure hasn't written a good Batman in a while. No matter how many alternate covers depicting moments from the Dark Knight Returns they put out that will not change.

BANNED

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Miller's recent work. I'll probably wait for the trade.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Originally, I was iffy. But the fact we has a co-writer and isn't doing the art but the great Kubert is, I am gonna try #1 for sure.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

It's one of the few books by the big 2 that is on my MUST read list.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Not particularly.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I'll be skipping it.

I have the first one, never bothered with the second one, and just not interested in the third one.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.