Page 574 of 586 FirstFirst ... 74474524564570571572573574575576577578584 ... LastLast
Results 8,596 to 8,610 of 8776
  1. #8596
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Inside the Jupiter 2
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Actually most of the cases of pedophiles are heterosexual. Most serial killers too. And dictators. And mass shooters. If there are "deviance" in genetics, statistically it's more likely to be in the male heterosexual gene.
    #FunFacts
    That kind of statistic is based on all kind of wrong reasonning and math buuuut, i can see your point.

  2. #8597
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Probably, given the spike in cases. Things are changing rapidly. Restaurants voluntarily ending dine-in eating, things along those lines.

    Sorry if I sounded judgmental. It's great your church is taking the issue on rather than burying their head in the sand. I tend to think all live services should be shut down for the next several weeks, but as always, it's a balancing act. Meeting people's needs and serving the larger public interest. These are hard times with difficult choices to be made.

    I think by the time this crisis is passed, it will fundamentally change the way a lot of services are provided.

    Stay well, my friend!
    No worries about sounding judgmental. Its a difficult time for all right now. So many unknowns to deal with.

    Update - we cancelled services. Bit eerie for me to not have church stuff in my life. Or much of anything right now. But at the same time, I'm still very much connected via email, etc. Not the same.

    This crisis has brought death and the potential for death much closer to many people. Death is inevitable for everyone, its just that we tend to all think that it won't overtake us until we get super old. But the reality of living life every day is that death is always a possibility. A car can hit you, disease, cancer, heart attack, etc. - all without coronavirus. Odds are good most people won't die on any given day, but there are always those who don't beat those odds, every day.

    In China, religious organizations of all sorts have been helping since the virus broke out. Donations of goods, food, money have poured in. And this in light of the fact that the Chinese government already distrusts practically all of them and actively fights against their growth and influence in many ways. Something to think about for those of us who are religious here in the states.

    Song from a Taoist songwriter:

    Today people act without virtue
    And blaspheme against heaven and earth
    In the human world greed has broken out
    And things are no longer in a normal state.


    I think we Christians still have a role to play during this crisis, to be Christ to those in fear and need around us. Safely, in the safest way possible, but in love.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  3. #8598
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    No worries about sounding judgmental. Its a difficult time for all right now. So many unknowns to deal with.

    Update - we cancelled services. Bit eerie for me to not have church stuff in my life. Or much of anything right now. But at the same time, I'm still very much connected via email, etc. Not the same.

    This crisis has brought death and the potential for death much closer to many people. Death is inevitable for everyone, its just that we tend to all think that it won't overtake us until we get super old. But the reality of living life every day is that death is always a possibility. A car can hit you, disease, cancer, heart attack, etc. - all without coronavirus. Odds are good most people won't die on any given day, but there are always those who don't beat those odds, every day.

    In China, religious organizations of all sorts have been helping since the virus broke out. Donations of goods, food, money have poured in. And this in light of the fact that the Chinese government already distrusts practically all of them and actively fights against their growth and influence in many ways. Something to think about for those of us who are religious here in the states.

    Song from a Taoist songwriter:

    Today people act without virtue
    And blaspheme against heaven and earth
    In the human world greed has broken out
    And things are no longer in a normal state.


    I think we Christians still have a role to play during this crisis, to be Christ to those in fear and need around us. Safely, in the safest way possible, but in love.
    Those are haunting lyrics, Scott. Thanks for sharing.

    Every day is an opportunity to be Christ for those in need, but in times like this, it feels more true than ever (though of course, the reality is that it's always true). Hopefully we'll all choose kindness even when the crisis has passed.

  4. #8599
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,723

    Default

    Haven't seen this thread in a while. I see the Whovian was banned. Sorry to see, we disagreed on God, but seemed like a nice guy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  5. #8600
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    So I've been reading from my favorite theological work again lately: UNSPOKEN SERMONS by George MacDonald.

  6. #8601
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    From George MacDonald, I've read his fantasy books like Lilith and Phantastes. Dabbled with his Princess stories - Tolkein based his concept of the LoTR goblins much after MacDonald in those stories. But I've not read his theological works. Bet they are pretty interesting. The one thing - I find MacDonald's works to be a little tedious to get through. He's not the best at making a narrative flow.

    Maybe I'll track down that work and give it a try.

    One thing positive that has come out of this Coronavirus stuff - my church has become more socially connected, in a modern sense. We do bible studies using zoom, stream church services, and get pretty much everything done online. Unfortunately those who are not as technologically able are getting left behind, though.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  7. #8602
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    From George MacDonald, I've read his fantasy books like Lilith and Phantastes. Dabbled with his Princess stories - Tolkein based his concept of the LoTR goblins much after MacDonald in those stories. But I've not read his theological works. Bet they are pretty interesting. The one thing - I find MacDonald's works to be a little tedious to get through. He's not the best at making a narrative flow.

    Maybe I'll track down that work and give it a try.
    I've never been able to get into MacDonald's stories, either, though I can't say I've really tried.

    That said, his theology flows beautifully. Sheer poetry in my opinion.

    Story-wise, I've been reading Ray Bradbury lately.

    One thing positive that has come out of this Coronavirus stuff - my church has become more socially connected, in a modern sense. We do bible studies using zoom, stream church services, and get pretty much everything done online. Unfortunately those who are not as technologically able are getting left behind, though.
    Yeah, there's lots of opportunities there. People can comment, for instance, when they might not feel as comfortable doing so in person (of course the reverse might be true for others who prefer conversation to messaging).

    And there will be many joyful reunions when social distancing restrictions are eventually lifted--though it's looking like that will be a long way out at this point.

  8. #8603
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    Whats everyone doing for Holy Week next week? My church has now gotten the online service thing down. In fact, our choir is going to attempt to sing live on Easter Sunday (and maybe Black Friday) using the Acapella App.

    Continuing our study on the Story, which is a book that highlights the main events contained in the Bible.

    https://www.amazon.com/Story-Continu.../dp/031095097X
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  9. #8604
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Whats everyone doing for Holy Week next week? My church has now gotten the online service thing down. In fact, our choir is going to attempt to sing live on Easter Sunday (and maybe Black Friday) using the Acapella App.

    Continuing our study on the Story, which is a book that highlights the main events contained in the Bible.

    https://www.amazon.com/Story-Continu.../dp/031095097X
    Our church is still working things out. Pastor said when this is all over--even if that's around Christmas--she still wants to have an 'Easter celebration. But taking all recommended precautions until advised it's safe to gather.

  10. #8605
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading Daredevil
    Posts
    15,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Haven't seen this thread in a while. I see the Whovian was banned. Sorry to see, we disagreed on God, but seemed like a nice guy.
    Yep, I was banned. I guess it's against the rules to say something is a sin. Jesus told us we would be persecuted for our faith. Good to be back though. How is everyone doing in this Coronavirus crisis?
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

    “Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

    “I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

  11. #8606
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading Daredevil
    Posts
    15,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Whats everyone doing for Holy Week next week? My church has now gotten the online service thing down. In fact, our choir is going to attempt to sing live on Easter Sunday (and maybe Black Friday) using the Acapella App.

    Continuing our study on the Story, which is a book that highlights the main events contained in the Bible.

    https://www.amazon.com/Story-Continu.../dp/031095097X
    Our church is not meeting for worship services. We haven't been for a few weeks. Our pastors still give a sermon and then post it to the website for everyone to see. For holy week, our church put together a "holy week worship bag" so we can celebrate it at home.

    My wife is still making our usual Easter Sunday dinner and we are having our moms up. So it will only be the 4 of us.
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

    “Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

    “I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

  12. #8607
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading Daredevil
    Posts
    15,418

    Default

    Today's devotion:

    AN UNANTICIPATED REQUEST
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/03/
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

    “Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

    “I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

  13. #8608
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Yep, I was banned. I guess it's against the rules to say something is a sin. Jesus told us we would be persecuted for our faith. Good to be back though. How is everyone doing in this Coronavirus crisis?
    Welcome back Who. We are all hanging in there.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  14. #8609
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading Daredevil
    Posts
    15,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Welcome back Who. We are all hanging in there.
    Thanks Kirby. Good to hear everyone is doing well. Stay safe
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

    “Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

    “I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

  15. #8610
    Paranoid Android ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Incertisque loci...incerto tempore
    Posts
    2,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Yep, I was banned. I guess it's against the rules to say something is a sin. Jesus told us we would be persecuted for our faith. Good to be back though. How is everyone doing in this Coronavirus crisis?
    Yes, it must be hard to continue your struggle in the face of all the oppression.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •