Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Default Are you reading the bible? And if so.....

What book of the bible are you reading? I like to read chapters from one book of the Old Testament and New Testament at the same time. I'm currently reading Habakkuk and Hebrews.
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.--Isaiah 40:31

“Everything’s impossible until somebody does it.” – Batman

“You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! Best weapons in the world!"--The Doctor

I've been wanting to read the one where Jesus talks about gay people and abortion, but I just can't find it anywhere.

Nice to meet a fellow Christian poster. Yes, I been reading the bible. Currently, I been on a reading plan to read the New Testament in 30 days. The You version bible app is great for stuff like this.

Fantastic Member

I haven't in many years. I was raised on it though, and have read probably more times that most front to back. I remember Song of Solomon being some great poetry, which was a bit more interesting as a younger person. As I got older I could even see the romantic poetry turn into erotica a bit. Mild yes, but the insinuations were certainly there, I just had to have the mindset.

Job was pretty interesting, but I don't see the conclusions of use it in the context of what most use it for as a debate on god's plan and/or love for humanity. I actually see it quite the opposite.

Revelations was of course a neat book to read young because of the all the monsters and symbolic things. When I had to read the bible daily I spent a lot of time reading revelations, even though I didn't understand all the symbolism.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    I haven't in many years. I was raised on it though, and have read probably more times that most front to back. I remember Song of Solomon being some great poetry, which was a bit more interesting as a younger person. As I got older I could even see the romantic poetry turn into erotica a bit. Mild yes, but the insinuations were certainly there, I just had to have the mindset.

Job was pretty interesting, but I don't see the conclusions of use it in the context of what most use it for as a debate on god's plan and/or love for humanity. I actually see it quite the opposite.

Revelations was of course a neat book to read young because of the all the monsters and symbolic things. When I had to read the bible daily I spent a lot of time reading revelations, even though I didn't understand all the symbolism.
    I would like to suggest you read John, the last of the four gospels.
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.--Isaiah 40:31

“You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! Best weapons in the world!"--The Doctor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I would like to suggest you read John, the last of the four gospels.
    Any particular reason that gospel? I do remember reading more of one gospel than the other when the bible was required reading. But that's been almost 20 years now. I've read some passages and good bit of some books over the years since then.

Back when it was required reading and it was sacred texts, and I read it as that because my parents told me they were, because their church told them they were, I had to find the things that I liked reading, in story or narrative. And some authors of the bible were better writers or poets than others. Now I tend to read it as I do all fiction, for the story being told. It doesn't mean that there cannot be hidden gems in it that are good qualities to live by or apply to oneself. But I don't see it as a non-fiction handbook on living life.

It also helps that I've gotten to where I personally don't need religion to read the bible. I can separate the two, which a lot of people find impossible. And that came from almost 20 years of being mad at god for what some religions do. So yeah at one time I was those people that come in a conversation with nothing other than hatred. But now, seeing the bible as I do all other fiction, I actually find it more interesting than I did as a scared text. I guess at my end on this world I will find out if I am right or not. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Nice to meet a fellow Christian poster. Yes, I been reading the bible. Currently, I been on a reading plan to read the New Testament in 30 days. The You version bible app is great for stuff like this.
    Cool, thanks for the info. And it is nice to meet other Christian posters

EDIT:

Wrong thread.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Yes, Iagree with you here. Its pretty good.
    That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain, the happy highways where I went and cannot come again.

I've been looking at Proverbs a lot recently; lots of great stuff in there! Although I'd consider myself a Christian, I unfortunately don't read the Bible all that often. A couple of weeks ago, though, I was reading Job. That book may be one of my favorites: great story almost in the form of an epic poem. Lots of beautiful lines in there! (Watchmen, anybody? "I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls." )
    Formerly the guy with the Black Panther picture

BANNED

I read the bible quite a bit, but I still did poorly on this Gospel Quiz.

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    I've been looking at Proverbs a lot recently; lots of great stuff in there! Although I'd consider myself a Christian, I unfortunately don't read the Bible all that often. A couple of weeks ago, though, I was reading Job. That book may be one of my favorites: great story almost in the form of an epic poem. Lots of beautiful lines in there! (Watchmen, anybody? "I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls." )
    It certainly is. Job shows us that as Christians, we are not exempt from bad things happening to us and that we will go through tough times, but God will always be with us and bless us. We just have to have faith in Him.

Ribrianne~4~Life!!! ^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    What book of the bible are you reading? I like to read chapters from one book of the Old Testament and New Testament at the same time. I'm currently reading Habakkuk and Hebrews.
    Indeed this is a Nice Idea for a Thread Dark Knight1047.

I was raised and still live by the Roman Catholic Faith and Teachings of the Bible.

Been to long since I did any reading or examination of the bible so I am at a similar point that Weezer17 is. But still, I remember Sunday School and the teachings I got from theme which helped form my main bases of my knowledge of the Bible. But now recently I am starting to do more reading and with that I got a new copy of the Bible that is at the top of my list. Show while I read threw it I will give my passages and views of the ones that stand out most to me here.

Still, their are a decent amount of passages I know and indeed live my life by; one of my Favorites that I always recount in my daily life and even when I am posting here on CBR is:

Luke 6:31-

"Do to Others as You Would have them do to You."
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”

~~ Brianne De Chateau ~ Episode 102, of Dragon Ball Super!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHGXMH6HB0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

I started reading the Bible, but stopped very quickly when the Bible called the pains of childbirth a punishment to women because of Eve's sin.

Such misogynistic drivel has hurt women over the centuries. I don't really like to read such hateful speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
    I started reading the Bible, but stopped very quickly when the Bible called the pains of childbirth a punishment to women because of Eve's sin.

Such misogynistic drivel has hurt women over the centuries. I don't really like to read such hateful speech.
    Not that there isn't plenty of misogyny, but that bit there is a blatant mistranslation. For the bits about men, it uses "toil," and for women, "pain." It also ignores the context that this is deliberately unpleasant and refers not to childbirth, but raising children and maintaining family.

It's still, y'know, God telling two people who just a moment before were totally innocent, that their lives have to suck now and that they are cursed to always be hungry and to have dysfunctional home life forever. But there's no special excess punishment for Eve in Torah or talmudic tradition.

Why mistranslate like that? Well, look at the culture(s) and political structures doing the translation. Of course, if you're a biblical literalist, then the mistranslation is the truth, it just had to be divinely uncovered.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 10-09-2015 at 12:34 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)