Page 559 of 561 FirstFirst ... 59459509549555556557558559560561 LastLast
Results 8,371 to 8,385 of 8405
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    All - my mother in law passed away last week and is now celebrating in heaven with her husband and friends. She's probably already whipped up a couple of nice Frito Pies for everyone up there!

We're doing memorial services this week, one at the National Cemetery where her ashes will lie and one at my church.

Wanted to thank all for their prayers.
    Continued prayers for you and yours Scott
    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"--Romans 8:28

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

“Would you like a jelly baby?”--The Doctor

Today's Devotion:

GOD DESERVES ALL THE PRAISE
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...2019-devotion/
    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"--Romans 8:28

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

All - my mother in law passed away last week and is now celebrating in heaven with her husband and friends. She's probably already whipped up a couple of nice Frito Pies for everyone up there!

We're doing memorial services this week, one at the National Cemetery where her ashes will lie and one at my church.

Wanted to thank all for their prayers.
    To God we belong and to Him we return.

May your memories of her be good.

I learned last month that a young man I had briefly mentored and worked with earlier this year passed away in a hiking accident. Honestly thought it was a hoax at first Reading the articles about it was quite upsetting and I can only imagine what his family went through. I wanted to attend the memorial but was out of the country at the time

How do you 'see' Jesus Christ (as) to have been, as a person? I appreciate that our individual visualisation of him will be informed by different mediums (paintings, documentaries and movies, mostly) and, perhaps, historical (and religious (Jewish)) knowledge of the period, but do you 'see' that visualisation as you're reading the Gospels?

Do you, for example, 'see' him as having long hair and with a beard? The 'hippy' look generally ascribed to him these days? Or is his hair shorter and more in keeping with the styles Jewish men had at the time?

Do you see him as a drunkard (as he says his naysayers described him to be)?

Approachable?

Noticeable? (he walked through crowds without them realising, so I don't I've ever considered him to be someone who stood out)

Most likely, he looked like this.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    To God we belong and to Him we return.

May your memories of her be good.

I learned last month that a young man I had briefly mentored and worked with earlier this year passed away in a hiking accident. Honestly thought it was a hoax at first Reading the articles about it was quite upsetting and I can only imagine what his family went through. I wanted to attend the memorial but was out of the country at the time
    We've been going through old photos and making a memorial slide show for the service. Lots of fun memories!

Thats so tough when people go so young. A young woman I knew of 28 died a few years ago, leaving three kids and a husband, plus the family business. Her plaque is in the memorial garden I tend at my church, and seeing it is always a reminder to treat life as a precious gift.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I've thought about what Jesus looks like before, but have never actually pictured his face. The first guys who come to mind, though are Victor Garber and Ted Neeley, haha. Also some of the great art depicting Jesus, in particular Michaelangelo but also a host of others. In churches I've seen all sorts of depictions, from the classic "Head of Christ" by Warner Sallman to depictions of a laughing black Jesus to more bizarro abstract stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Most likely, he looked like this.

Shroud of Turin recreation?

That was done by a forensic anthropologist nearly 20 years ago for a BBC documentary, Son of God, based on a skull found in Galilee (I think). It's not meant to be Jesus, though. It's more to show, in general, what a Galilean man would have looked like.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

How do you 'see' Jesus Christ (as) to have been, as a person? I appreciate that our individual visualisation of him will be informed by different mediums (paintings, documentaries and movies, mostly) and, perhaps, historical (and religious (Jewish)) knowledge of the period, but do you 'see' that visualisation as you're reading the Gospels?

Do you, for example, 'see' him as having long hair and with a beard? The 'hippy' look generally ascribed to him these days? Or is his hair shorter and more in keeping with the styles Jewish men had at the time?

Approachable?

Noticeable? (he walked through crowds without them realising, so I don't I've ever considered him to be someone who stood out)
    That's a great question.

As far as physical traits go, I have no idea. It's hard not to see Jesus as he's typically depicted in church paintings and films, but I think Kirby101's picture would probably be more accurate. It's pretty incredible how our mental image of Jesus has been so thoroughly Westernized that it takes a conscious mental effort to remember that Jesus was Middle Eastern. Many who claim Christ as lord would probably suspect him a terrorist if they actually encountered him in his earthly form. It's also odd how clean people in biblical films tend to look. They didn't have access to running water, so people wouldn't have appeared 'clean' by our modern hygienic standards. (Western films typically have the same problem. It's the bad guys that have dirt-caked clothes and rotten teeth, but c'mon--they didn't have sinks and showers and washing machines.)

In terms of his mannerisms, it's also interesting that Jesus is typically depicted as serene when he's frequently angry in the gospels. I think the passage where Jesus chases the money-changers out of the temple is particularly difficult to process, because if it happened today, we'd see Jesus as a troublemaker. Even people who supported his message would likely say he'd gone too far (and then, of course, you'd have those who said he hadn't gone far enough because he didn't support revolution). I'll be honest, if I knew Christ in person, I'm not sure how I'd respond. I might not even like him much! He had a tendency to pose uncomfortable questions to everybody, regardless of where they were coming from. (In terms of his views, he was actually closer in perspective to the Pharisees than other religious and cultural sects, but he never let them off the hook. That might explain their animosity to some degree. They expected Jesus to see himself as 'one of them' instead of issuing challenges. Sort of like the modern 'republican or democrat in name only' label.

So yeah, I think we have a tendency to re-create Jesus in our own image, rather than seek him out in spirit and in truth. It's probably why Mosaic law forbade any graven images. And while it's easy for us to laugh at the ridiculousness of ancients worshipping idols, is it really any different than our sanitized depictions of Christ? It's one thing to worship Jesus as Christ when you've primarily encountered him in romanticized church paintings, and another thing entirely if you're standing next to him and wondering why he won't just shut up about systemic evils, because doesn't he realize the Romans and the religious leaders are angry and they're headed this way?
    Last edited by David Walton; 11-14-2019 at 10:43 AM.

That was done by a forensic anthropologist nearly 20 years ago for a BBC documentary, Son of God, based on a skull found in Galilee (I think). It's not meant to be Jesus, though. It's more to show, in general, what a Galilean man would have looked like.
    Yes, thanks. It shows the general appearance of a man from Jesus' time and place. Of course his depiction western art resembled the population of where the painting was done more than any accurate picture of a man from Palestine.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I've thought about what Jesus looks like before, but have never actually pictured his face. The first guys who come to mind, though are Victor Garber and Ted Neeley, haha. Also some of the great art depicting Jesus, in particular Michaelangelo but also a host of others. In churches I've seen all sorts of depictions, from the classic "Head of Christ" by Warner Sallman to depictions of a laughing black Jesus to more bizarro abstract stuff.

Among the many, many things that showed the Shroud to be a fabrication (carbon dating being the most definitive) is that it depicts a man who looks like he is from southern france much more than Narareth.

The biologist in me says its wrong (or, not necessarily right) to look at Jesus as Middle Eastern in appearance. Jesus had DNA from Mary, whose lineage was mostly Jewish but also included non-Jews such as Rahab and others. Her lineage is certainly Middle Eastern, though, mostly from the fertile crescent area. The other half of the DNA is from God himself and could have been literally anything.

Maybe the half of Jesus DNA that God contributed was the same as was used in Adam. Adam's original DNA would have been a form of a perfect DNA without any of the mutations we see nowadays and probably would have made him immortal - scripture tells us he wasn't going to die until the fall happened. Adam disobeyed God and then it seems like God made a genetic change in him that left him mortal, among other things. Even after the fall, Adam also lived quite a long time, possibly because the DNA in his case was still so pure?

Getting sidetracked. Its all speculation. Jesus could have had that same DNA that Adam originally had is the point. Jesus is referred to as a second Adam in scripture, in a few places. So to me, he probably looked at least some like whatever Adam looked like.

Another possibility is that God used a new and different DNA in Jesus. But to me that seems less likely. God is too clean in the way he does things and ties things together throughout scripture and history.

To me, if you think about this logically, Adam and Eve would have both had wildly different skin tones and looks. Had they looked very similar to each other, I don't think we would have quite the diversity we see in humankind today. Genes for the blackest black guy and the whitest white person had to be there at the start. Therefore, to me, it seems likely that either Adam was a black guy and Eve was very light in skin color, or vice versa. Plus I just like to think that the first couple ever in history was, what we would mistakenly call today, a mixed race couple.

So yah Jesus was probably part black, guys. That would be soooo like God to do!
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-14-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Approachable?

Good question. I really don't try to picture Jesus as anything in the physical sense. I mostly just "see" Him as a being of love, compassion, mercy and forgiveness.

Today's Devotion:

PRAISE GOD FOR HIS WORD

Today's Devotion:

PRAISE GOD FOR A CERTAIN HOPE