Page 560 of 561 FirstFirst ... 60460510550556557558559560561 LastLast
Results 8,386 to 8,400 of 8405
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Today's Devotion:

PRAISE GOD, HALLELUJAH!
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...2019-devotion/
    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"--Romans 8:28

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

“Would you like a jelly baby?”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Good question. I really don't try to picture Jesus as anything in the physical sense. I mostly just "see" Him as a being of love, compassion, mercy and forgiveness.
    I'm partial to his descriptions in Daniel 7:13-14 and Revelation 1:12-16

“I saw in the night visions,

and behold, with the clouds of heaven
    there came one like a son of man,
    and he came to the Ancient of Days
    and was presented before him.
    And to him was given dominion
    and glory and a kingdom,
    that all peoples, nations, and languages
    should serve him;
    his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
    which shall not pass away,
    and his kingdom one
    that shall not be destroyed.
    Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength.

Today's Devotion:

THE FOUNDATION FOR THANKSGIVING
    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"--Romans 8:28

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

Today's Devotion:

THANKFULNESS FLOWS FROM FORGIVENESS

Both thankfulness and being repentant flow out of the same well inside of us. Thats how I see the linkage between forgiveness and thankfulness. Being thankful for what we have in front of us makes us humble.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Both thankfulness and being repentant flow out of the same well inside of us. Thats how I see the linkage between forgiveness and thankfulness. Being thankful for what we have in front of us makes us humble.
    That's a good point Scott

Today's Devotion:

THANKING GOD IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Very true!

A little over a month left to go - what are you doing (spiritually, personally, non-commercially) in preparation for Christmas?

Are there readings you tend to do? Upcoming services you intend to attend? Perhaps some volunteering (or knitting or something)?

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    A little over a month left to go - what are you doing (spiritually, personally, non-commercially) in preparation for Christmas?

Are there readings you tend to do? Upcoming services you intend to attend? Perhaps some volunteering (or knitting or something)?
    My church has advent services on Wednesdays leading up to Christmas, starting the week after Thanksgiving. We do the Holden Evening Prayer, and it always gets me in a mood for the holidays.

Other than that, reading through The Story, which is the Bible paraphrased into a single continuous story format. Its been rewarding spiritually to do the "Cliff Notes" version of the Bible at this time of year and see the overarching purpose of God's redemptive love.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post

We, as a church, have put together about a hundred Christmas shoe boxes and got them sent off. Our pastor is giving sermons on people in the bible starting this Sunday who were at Christ's birth. We also have a Christmas Eve service.

Today's Devotion:

PRAISE GOD AT WORK

Today's Devotion:

PRAISE GOD WHEN WE HURT

Today's Devotion:

PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW

Today's Devotion:

GREETINGS WITH THANKS AND PRAISE