Page 565 of 568 FirstFirst ... 65465515555561562563564565566567568 LastLast
Results 8,461 to 8,475 of 8519

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its always very interesting to me when I read descriptions like this one. The imagery here evokes, to an extent, the imagery in Nebuchadnezzar's Dream - Head of Gold, Breast of Stone, Thighs of Brass, Legs of Iron and Feet of Iron and Clay. Which, many believe, is a timeline. Now I really wonder what the symbolism is in Christ's appearance. Got to read Revelation again soon.
    It also pulls a lot from Daniel particular Daniel 10:5-6.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Certainly more likely than that second one you posted LOL!(which still not sure why you posted it in answer to what you quoted; asking for legit descriptions of him)?
    But yeah approximating someone from place and time(formerly Palestine/northern Israel).

Interesting citation thanks!
    Also you think "unattractive" would be implied? Or just plain, as in doesn't stand out?
    I don't think it's implied, I believe He was literally unattractive.
    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"--Romans 8:28

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

“Would you like a jelly baby?”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Hope folks are well and 2020 is off to a good start for you.

Anyone seen the series that was recently released on [I]Netflix[/I]?

Thoughts?

(Some aspects reminded me of Batman v Superman and the Supergirl series over on CW)
    Hey Adkal, which one?
    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"--Romans 8:28

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Hey Adkal, which one?
    Messiah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjLWuzGVyew

General description:

"A CIA officer investigates a charismatic figure whose followers believe he can perform miracles; he may be a divine entity or a dangerous con artist."

This imagery of Christ in Revelation 1 does indeed depict Jesus in his physical glorified resurrection body which is and will be how he appears in his 2nd coming.

Revelation (singular) does indeed have a conflicted history within the Church as does most books that fall within the apocalyptic genre of writing. Most who think that Revelation is about Rome are called preterists and believe that the book was written in around 60 AD prior to the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in AD 70 and that the events in Revelation have already occurred. However, most futurists date the book around 90 AD after the destruction of the Temple and that Chapters 4 depict a future judgment and tribulation that culminates in the 2nd coming of Christ. Regarding the book's authorship, the grammatical construction of the Greek is similar to John's Gospel and 3 letters that most do not question his authorship. Both St, Augustine and Martin Luther found Revelation problematic because they both held to an allegorical hermeneutic of Biblical interpretation and both had adopted an amillennial eschatological of Revelation. (no earthly 1000 year reign of Christ).

Hope folks are well and 2020 is off to a good start for you.

Anyone seen the series that was recently released on Netflix?

Thoughts?

(Some aspects reminded me of Batman v Superman and the Supergirl series over on CW)
    I'm about 5 episodes in and I'm finding it meh.

A recent show I watched about Jesus is one called "The Chosen". It's the story of Jesus from the perspectives of his disciples, particularly Simon Peter, Matthew, Mary Magdeline and Nicodemus. It's free to watch, but you have to download an app (Google Play or the Apple Store) but it can be cast to a Roku or the like. It uses a Pay it Forward model so people donate to keep it free but there's no obligation to do so. There are 8 episodes and a Christmas short in Season and they're working on funding Season 2 now. It's very well done and while it fictionalizes many characters backstories (for example, Matthew is clearly an autistic savant though they never actually say that) it does not contradict the Gospels in any way. It's well worth the view.

And the other interesting thing (at least to me) is how "John" was written so far from the middle east, unlike the other Gospels.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Psimitar View Post
    I'm about 5 episodes in and I'm finding it meh.
    We found many of the episodes to be 'filler' and not move things along much. A couple of friends haven't gotten beyond the second or third episode, and likely won't.

A recent show I watched about Jesus is one called "The Chosen".
    Haven't seen that - will try to check it out.

Has anyone read The Gospel According to Lazarus by Richard Zilmer?

There are elements of the 'account' that Christians and Muslims would disagree with (for slightly differing reasons) but it's an interesting read, especially with regards to the main character (Lazarus) and how the people would react to what happened to him.

Messiah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjLWuzGVyew

General description:

"A CIA officer investigates a charismatic figure whose followers believe he can perform miracles; he may be a divine entity or a dangerous con artist."
    Thanks. I haven't seen it.

Today's Devotion:

IN CHRIST ALONE
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/17/

Has anyone read The Gospel According to Lazarus by Richard Zilmer?

There are elements of the 'account' that Christians and Muslims would disagree with (for slightly differing reasons) but it's an interesting read, especially with regards to the main character (Lazarus) and how the people would react to what happened to him.
    I'm a huge fan of Zilmer, I've not gotten to this book yet but it is on my to read list.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Today's Devotion:

THE VINE AND THE FIG TREE
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/18/

Today's Devotion:

LOVE YOUR ENEMIES
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/20/

Today's Devotion:

WAITING ON THE LORD’S RETURN
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/21/