Page 554 of 557 FirstFirst ... 54454504544550551552553554555556557 LastLast
Results 8,296 to 8,310 of 8341

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Hi

I'm around (sort of).

Have been blessed with a daughter (she's so amazing) back in June so have been spending my evenings and weekends with her

Also started a new job.

Hope you're all well.
    Congrats adkal! Thats a great reason for spending less time on the boards, don't want to miss that time
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Thanks, both.

It's still quite surreal (but amazing!).
    I'm sure you have already heard this, but take lots of pictures and videos when they're growing up, because before you know it, they're in their teens. It seems like only yesterday that my two kids were in elementary school. Not they're in their twenties.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

“You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

Today's devotion:

THE OWNER OF ALL
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...ember-18-2019/
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

“You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

Today's devotion:

IN GOD WE TRUST
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...ember-19-2019/

I have found that God leads and teaches His children in different ways. It can be according to life experience and temperament. We each have a different voice and the Almighty speaks to that and uses it. What is resonant for one believer is not for another. That's why Christianity as defined as 'a personal relationship with God' through Jesus Christ. Emphasis on personal

For me personally I find that the best way that I have for 'serving' God is to see myself as one of His employees (as in servant). As opposed to child, as I find that too passive especially in the North American context. At any rate I want to share a poem I found the other day online that helps me to keep my focus on carrying out God's task (in whatever form that may be) for me. Here it is:

I am a soldier in the Army of God.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is my Commanding Officer.
    The Holy Bible is my code of conduct.
    Faith, prayer, and the Word are my weapons of warfare.
    I have been taught by the Holy Spirit,
    Trained by experience,
    Tried by adversity,
    And tested by fire.
    I am a volunteer in this Army,
    And I am enlisted for eternity.
    I will either retire in this Army at the rapture,
    Or die in this Army;
    But I will not get out,
    sell out,
    be talked out,
    or be pushed out.
    I am faithful, reliable, capable, and dependable.
    If my God needs me, I am there!
    I am a soldier. I am not a baby.
    I do not need to be pampered, petted, primed up, picked up, or pepped up.
    I am a soldier.
    No one has to call me, remind me, write me, visit me, entice me, or lure me.
    I am a soldier. I am not a wimp.
    I am in place, saluting my King,
    Obeying His orders,
    praising His name,
    and building His kingdom!
    No one has to send me flowers, gifts, food, cards, candy,
    Or give me handouts.
    I do not need to be coddled, cradled, cared for, or catered to.
    I am committed.
    I cannot have my feelings hurt badly enough to turn me around.
    I cannot be discouraged enough to turn me aside.
    I cannot lose enough to cause me to quit.
    When Jesus called me into this Army, I had nothing.
    If I end up with nothing, I will still come out ahead.
    I will win.
    My God has, and will continue, to supply all of my needs.
    I am more than a conqueror.
    I will always triumph.
    I can do all things through Christ.
    Devils cannot defeat me,
    people cannot disillusion me,
    Weather cannot weary me,
    sickness cannot stop me.
    Battles cannot beat me,
    money cannot buy me.
    Governments cannot silence me,
    And hell cannot handle me.
    I am a soldier.
    Even death cannot destroy me.
    For when my Commander calls me from this battlefield,
    He will promote me to Captain and
    Then allow me to rule with Him.
    I am a soldier in God’s Army,
    And I am marching to claim the victory.
    I will not give up.
    I will not turn around.
    I am a soldier, marching heaven bound!
    Here I stand! Will you stand with me?

...Written by B.J. Morbitzer
    • “You need not be large to be great. What you need is to be open to a Power greater than yourself.”- Rabbi Sacks
    • “If you can’t control your actions, you aren’t quite whole.”- Bruce Wayne (Hush)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I have found that God leads and teaches His children in different ways. It can be according to life experience and temperament. We each have a different voice and the Almighty speaks to that and uses it. What is resonant for one believer is not for another. That's why Christianity as defined as 'a personal relationship with God' through Jesus Christ. Emphasis on personal

For me personally I find that the best way that I have for 'serving' God is to see myself as one of His employees (as in servant). As opposed to child, as I find that too passive especially in the North American context. At any rate I want to share a poem I found the other day online that helps me to keep my focus on carrying out God's task (in whatever form that may be) for me. Here it is:

I am a soldier in the Army of God.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is my Commanding Officer.
    The Holy Bible is my code of conduct.
    Faith, prayer, and the Word are my weapons of warfare.
    I have been taught by the Holy Spirit,
    Trained by experience,
    Tried by adversity,
    And tested by fire.
    I am a volunteer in this Army,
    And I am enlisted for eternity.
    I will either retire in this Army at the rapture,
    Or die in this Army;
    But I will not get out,
    sell out,
    be talked out,
    or be pushed out.
    I am faithful, reliable, capable, and dependable.
    If my God needs me, I am there!
    I am a soldier. I am not a baby.
    I do not need to be pampered, petted, primed up, picked up, or pepped up.
    I am a soldier.
    No one has to call me, remind me, write me, visit me, entice me, or lure me.
    I am a soldier. I am not a wimp.
    I am in place, saluting my King,
    Obeying His orders,
    praising His name,
    and building His kingdom!
    No one has to send me flowers, gifts, food, cards, candy,
    Or give me handouts.
    I do not need to be coddled, cradled, cared for, or catered to.
    I am committed.
    I cannot have my feelings hurt badly enough to turn me around.
    I cannot be discouraged enough to turn me aside.
    I cannot lose enough to cause me to quit.
    When Jesus called me into this Army, I had nothing.
    If I end up with nothing, I will still come out ahead.
    I will win.
    My God has, and will continue, to supply all of my needs.
    I am more than a conqueror.
    I will always triumph.
    I can do all things through Christ.
    Devils cannot defeat me,
    people cannot disillusion me,
    Weather cannot weary me,
    sickness cannot stop me.
    Battles cannot beat me,
    money cannot buy me.
    Governments cannot silence me,
    And hell cannot handle me.
    I am a soldier.
    Even death cannot destroy me.
    For when my Commander calls me from this battlefield,
    He will promote me to Captain and
    Then allow me to rule with Him.
    I am a soldier in God’s Army,
    And I am marching to claim the victory.
    I will not give up.
    I will not turn around.
    I am a soldier, marching heaven bound!
    Here I stand! Will you stand with me?

...Written by B.J. Morbitzer
    Thanks for sharing that Mia. I agree that everyone has a different relationship with Christ. It's also why He gives us all different gifts. He doesn't want us all to try and be the same, because we're not. We are to use our gifts from God to further His will.

Good devotion. We are all crippled spiritually at one point or another and need to be able take refuge in Him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Good devotion. We are all crippled spiritually at one point or another and need to be able take refuge in Him.
    A family that is friends with us is having an extremely hard ordeal right now. Their 14 year old son needs a heart transplant and has been physically deteriorating every day and is losing his battle. It's heart breaking to see this hit so close to home. It's hard when it's an adult, but it's so much worse when it's a child. I still have hope that the Lord will perform a miracle and he will get to go home, but right now he's in intensive care and his parents are emotionally and physically exhausted. The one thing getting through all this is their love for Christ. They have never wavered (to my knowledge) but I can't imagine how tough it must be for them and their family. It's during these times when the devil likes to whisper in your ear that God has abandoned you, etc. We just have to be strong and trust in God, and not be spiritually crippled.

Today's devotion:

THE BLESSED ONE
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...ember-25-2019/

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    A family that is friends with us is having an extremely hard ordeal right now. Their 14 year old son needs a heart transplant and has been physically deteriorating every day and is losing his battle. It's heart breaking to see this hit so close to home. It's hard when it's an adult, but it's so much worse when it's a child. I still have hope that the Lord will perform a miracle and he will get to go home, but right now he's in intensive care and his parents are emotionally and physically exhausted. The one thing getting through all this is their love for Christ. They have never wavered (to my knowledge) but I can't imagine how tough it must be for them and their family. It's during these times when the devil likes to whisper in your ear that God has abandoned you, etc. We just have to be strong and trust in God, and not be spiritually crippled.
    Can't imagine what they are going through. I'll pray for the situation and their relationship. An ordeal like that takes a toll beyond the obvious.