Page 547 of 554 FirstFirst ... 47447497537543544545546547548549550551 ... LastLast
Results 8,191 to 8,205 of 8299
  1. #8191
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The only thing I can contribute to this is that among those who have near-death experiences the vast majority (roughly 90% according to one study I've seen) go to "Heaven" whereas only a few go to "Hell" (roughly 10%). Those who go to Hell. and admit it, will say in retrospect they knew they were living a bad life when they temporarily died (using others without remorse appears to be the common denominator). Food for thought.
    The thing is, some people may not want to share the fact that they went to Hell. They may feel as though people would judge them poorly. I think if everyone who had these experiences told about them, the ratio wouldn't be so lopsided. I do know though that most of these people's experiences are so profoundly affected in a positive way, that it's life changing. Not just a "I feel better now" thing, but true life changing effect on them.

    One man, by his own admission, was an atheist who died and went to Hell. He called out to Jesus to save him and he was returned to his body. The man told about his experience and has since become a pastor and lives his life for Christ, telling everyone his story.

    And I know that skeptics on here are going to say "it's just the brain playing tricks on the person". If that is case, how do you explain the times when little children die, go to Heaven and return and tell their parents "I met my brother (or sister) in Heaven", and the parents are amazed because the parents never told them that mommy had a miscarriage before they were born, so they would never know this.

    Or the person who dies and sees a relative who they never met and they come back and tell their family that "a woman greeted me in Heaven and told me it wasn't my time yet, but tell your mom her Great Aunt Mary said "hello little butterfly". A nickname that the mother never told anyone about, because it was something only the two of them knew.
    Last edited by The Whovian; 08-11-2019 at 04:24 PM.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

    “A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

    “You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

  2. #8192
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,827

    Default

    Today's devotion:

    DESOLATE OF RESOURCES
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...ugust-11-2019/
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

    “A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

    “You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

  3. #8193
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    ...And I know that skeptics on here are going to say "it's just the brain playing tricks on the person". If that is case, how do you explain the times when little children die, go to Heaven and return and tell their parents "I met my brother (or sister) in Heaven", and the parents are amazed because the parents never told them that mommy had a miscarriage before they were born, so they would never know this....
    What gives me pause is the fact people from vastly different cultures report the same basic experience (out of body experience, tunnel, bright light, told it isn't their time often by a deceased loved one who sometimes they did not know in life, exact). Sure it could be random neurons firing in a common pattern still some shared experience is going on that much seems certain.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  4. #8194
    Mighty Member foxley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    What gives me pause is the fact people from vastly different cultures report the same basic experience (out of body experience, tunnel, bright light, told it isn't their time often by a deceased loved one who sometimes they did not know in life, exact). Sure it could be random neurons firing in a common pattern still some shared experience is going on that much seems certain.
    People hallucinating something they have been told their entire lives? Not so strange, surely.

    One researcher, curious about the common experience of floating towards the ceiling and seeing the room spread out below them described by people who experienced near-death experiences, place pictures on top of the wardrobes in the rooms of those likely to undergo a NDE. Interviewing those who 'died' and were revived and who described seeing the room from above as they floated away from their bodies, they were able to describe the room in detail, but not one could say what was on top of the wardrobe. Most likely conclusion, their mind constructed an image of the room from the details they knew but, not knowing about the picture on top of the wardrobe, they were unable to supply that detail.

  5. #8195
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Pure speculation (because, hey, who really knows?) but I feel like the Western emphasis on an objective afterlife experience is misguided. We tend to look at heaven, hell and purgatory as physical spaces one inhabits, in the same way one might travel to Kansas or Ohio. You're either 'there' or you aren't. But I think it's feasible that if a human soul finds itself suddenly freed from physical entanglements, they would still see their spiritual reality through a physical lens, at least until they'd fully transitioned. But the reality might be something inexpressible--an experience that is both communal (others can occupy 'it' like a shared space) and personal (the individual shapes their afterlife reality according to their understanding).

    In terms of Christian theology, this could be a training ground of sorts for the resurrection body. So at the first level, a physical/spiritual hybrid existence. At the second, purely spiritual. And finally, a body that's tethered to physicality (scars, etc.) but capable of ghosting through walls at will.

  6. #8196
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,827

    Default

    Today's devotion:

    RECOGNIZING JESUS
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...ugust-12-2019/
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

    “A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

    “You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

  7. #8197
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    People hallucinating something they have been told their entire lives? Not so strange, surely.

    One researcher, curious about the common experience of floating towards the ceiling and seeing the room spread out below them described by people who experienced near-death experiences, place pictures on top of the wardrobes in the rooms of those likely to undergo a NDE. Interviewing those who 'died' and were revived and who described seeing the room from above as they floated away from their bodies, they were able to describe the room in detail, but not one could say what was on top of the wardrobe. Most likely conclusion, their mind constructed an image of the room from the details they knew but, not knowing about the picture on top of the wardrobe, they were unable to supply that detail.
    But some of these people expected different things to happen in the afterlife (from different cultures) than what they experienced. Some of these people were from isolated groups and were interviewed by anthropologists (there are books written about the subject and studies done).

    I've heard that I've also heard of people who correctly described details of things going on with their loved ones and around (neighborhood) them before they traveled to the "tunnel" they could not possibly have known about any other way.

    So there are pros and cons to each argument. But I digress, back to the Bible.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-12-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  8. #8198
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    But some of these people expected different things to happen in the afterlife (from different cultures) than what they experienced. Some of these people were from isolated groups and were interviewed by anthropologists (there are books written about the subject and studies done).

    I've heard that I've also heard of people who correctly described details of things going on with their loved ones and around (neighborhood) them before they traveled to the "tunnel" they could not possibly have known about any other way.

    So there are pros and cons to each argument. But I digress, back to the Bible.
    I agree with this. There are times when the person couldn't possibly know things but did. I said it above, but I ask the skeptics again, how do you explain examples of this like when the little kid dies and goes to Heaven and sees their brother or sister they never knew they had? They come back, tell their parents they met their sibling and the parents are astonished because they didn't tell her about their sibling dying before she/he was born. How can this be explained?
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

    “A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

    “You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

  9. #8199
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,827

    Default

    Today's devotion:

    AGAINST RELIGIOUS TRADITION
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...ugust-13-2019/
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

    “A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

    “You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

  10. #8200
    Mighty Member foxley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I agree with this. There are times when the person couldn't possibly know things but did. I said it above, but I ask the skeptics again, how do you explain examples of this like when the little kid dies and goes to Heaven and sees their brother or sister they never knew they had? They come back, tell their parents they met their sibling and the parents are astonished because they didn't tell her about their sibling dying before she/he was born. How can this be explained?
    Do you have any figures on many times a child comes back and tells their parent that they meat their brother/sister, only for the parents to say there was no sibling for them to meet and they must have dreamt/imagined/hallucinated the whole thing?

  11. #8201
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Do you have any figures on many times a child comes back and tells their parent that they meat their brother/sister, only for the parents to say there was no sibling for them to meet and they must have dreamt/imagined/hallucinated the whole thing?
    No. But even once has to be explained, don't you think?
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

    “A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

    “You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

  12. #8202
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,827

    Default

    Today's devotion:

    PRIVATE MIRACLES
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...ugust-14-2019/
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

    “A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

    “You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

  13. #8203
    What fresh hell is this? ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Incertisque loci...incerto tempore
    Posts
    2,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    No. But even once has to be explained, don't you think?
    The problem is that a single case is very easily explained yet you insist on labeling it as proof.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

  14. #8204
    Postin' since Aug '05 Dalak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    No. But even once has to be explained, don't you think?
    The sub conscious mind is a funny thing, as there is a 'God Helmet' that stimulates the brain in a way that brings on visions similar to near death experience. They might not have told the kid directly, but if they mentioned it within the child's hearing at any point the memory could be brought up even if they can't remember it consciously. Dreams bring up experiences we forgot or have only imagined all the time after all.

  15. #8205
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    ohio, usa
    Posts
    4

    Default

    nice to see fellow Christians on this forum! keep it up!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •