Page 101 of 568 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 8519
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
    I didn't know God had a name. From what I remember, when asked of his name, he simply replied "I am that I am."
    I thought that was Shirley Bassey?

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    so our guest speaker in church yesterday made an interesting point that i thought i'd share with you guys to discuss or whatever. he was talking about prayer, how to pray etc. now i'm sure we've all heard different things about it, even some fairly ritualistic things etc. however this was interesting and made some sense to me. and may help others who arent prayer warriors and find it a little difficult.

basically he was saying we pray wrong. we bring things to God like for instance, someone loses their job, and we pray 'God they lost their job, help them out' etc. then we're done with it and time goes on and it seems prayer wasnt answered. when really we should be praying 'God they lost their job what do you want me to do?'

the point being we are God's hands and feet here. that He wants us/we should be proactive. praying His will, seeking His direction with our requests rather than just listing and leaving them there. that a lot of our prayer requests are waiting for us to open up and be willing to be His hands in fulfilling them. make sense?
    Pretty much. Some people think praying is just some magic thing that grants all of your wishes, which is ridiculous. You don't pray to get things you want. IMO you pray to get put down the right path so you can help yourself. God isn't going to magically make your life perfect, he will just give you a way for you to help yourself make your life better.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

What a lot of Christians don't understand is that God's time and our time are two very different things. It's something I have to remind myself of from time to time. Like I will pray for something and then nothing happens for a while like weeks or months and then I am like "God where are you? What's going on? But more often that not, the prayer gets answered at the perfect time and as a Christian you just have to step out on faith and trust that God knows what he is doing. For example, like two years ago I was really struggling to find a job and was literally only making like 250 A MONTH and doing freelance media work to make it by (had to live with my parents).

I became frustrated because it had been a few years since I finished college and all my friends had good jobs, buying houses, getting married etc and here I was struggling and praying to God to send me a job or something. Of course now I am working two good jobs and getting more experience in the media industry, I can look back on that time and see that God was preparing me to be where I am not. If God had blessed me with what I wanted back then, I wouldn't have been ready. I was still kind of immature and didn't have the experience I needed. That time of struggle and seemingly unanswered prayers helped build character, allowed me to trust God more, and allowed me to not take things for granted.

thats one of the things i've always been fascinated with. God's timing. our perception of it and looking back to see how it all worked. it really takes a lot for us to come to a place of acceptance especially given whatever situation we're currently in. but once we do, its another example of amazing peace that comes with being a believer. we know we can trust who is in control. He knows what He's doing.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Amen

10 char
    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"--Romans 8:28

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

“Would you like a jelly baby?”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Found this quote from Jim Caviezel (the actor who played Jesus in the Passion and is on the tv show Person of Interest)

Jim Caviezel-"Your name may not appear down here in this world's hall of fame. In fact, you may be so unknown that no on knows your name.The Oscars and the praise of men may never come your way but don't forget that God has rewards that he will hand out some day. This crowd on Earth they will soon forget when you're not at the top, they will cheer like mad until you fall and then their praise will stop. Not God, he never does forget. In his hall of fame by just believing on His Son forever there's your name. I tell you friend, I wouldn't trade my name however small, that's written there beyond the stars in that celestial hall for all the famous names on Earth or the glory that they share. I'd rather be an unknown here and have my name up there."
    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"--Romans 8:28

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

“Would you like a jelly baby?”--The Doctor

man i do like him. so so true too. good thing to keep in mind in day to day life. especially in this achievement oriented society

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

BANNED

We're going to have to be very careful about how we speak on our beliefs. Crimes of hatred are going to be watched for more than ever. That includes what anyone may perceive as "hate speech". The bible is already considered a politically incorrect, or "hateful" collection of writings. I believe what the book says though, so I'll defend it, for better or for worse (I know, that sounds radical). We were warned about these times we live in.

indeed we have been warned. oddly a decade and a half ago i wouldnt have thought we'd ever really see the time though, and here we are. things change SO quickly.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Sad. So sad. It doesn't matter who they vote for president. It doesn't matter who gets to be president. They look for salvation in their governments, their science, and their technology. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step! The entire corrupt, wicked system of things is crumbling around them. But it's all they have. It's all they know.

True wisdom cries aloud in the street.
    It keeps raising its voice in the public squares.
    At the corner of the busy streets it calls out.
    the entrances of the city gates it says:
    “How long will you inexperienced ones love inexperience?
    How long will you ridiculers take pleasure in ridicule?
    And how long will you foolish ones hate knowledge?
    Respond to my reproof.
    Then I will pour out my spirit for you;
    I will make my words known to you.
    Because I called out, but you kept refusing,
    I stretched out my hand, but no one was paying attention,
    You kept neglecting all my advice
    And rejecting my reproof,
    I also will laugh when disaster strikes you;
    I will mock when what you dread comes,
    When what you dread comes like a storm,
    And your disaster arrives like a storm wind,
    When distress and trouble come upon you.
    At that time they will keep calling me, but I will not answer;
    They will eagerly look for me, but they will not find me,
    Because they hated knowledge,
    And they did not choose to fear Jehovah.

-Proverbs 1:20-29

BANNED

No offense, but it's getting a little scary in here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Sad. So sad. It doesn't matter who they vote for president. It doesn't matter who gets to be president. They look for salvation in their governments, their science, and their technology. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step! The entire corrupt, wicked system of things is crumbling around them. But it's all they have. It's all they know.

True wisdom cries aloud in the street.
    It keeps raising its voice in the public squares.
    At the corner of the busy streets it calls out.
    the entrances of the city gates it says:
    “How long will you inexperienced ones love inexperience?
    How long will you ridiculers take pleasure in ridicule?
    And how long will you foolish ones hate knowledge?
    Respond to my reproof.
    Then I will pour out my spirit for you;
    I will make my words known to you.
    Because I called out, but you kept refusing,
    I stretched out my hand, but no one was paying attention,
    You kept neglecting all my advice
    And rejecting my reproof,
    I also will laugh when disaster strikes you;
    I will mock when what you dread comes,
    When what you dread comes like a storm,
    And your disaster arrives like a storm wind,
    When distress and trouble come upon you.
    At that time they will keep calling me, but I will not answer;
    They will eagerly look for me, but they will not find me,
    Because they hated knowledge,
    And they did not choose to fear Jehovah.

-Proverbs 1:20-29
    That's why the powers that be are doing it to us. They believe they have the right to rule us because we put our trust in them. This will end very badly. The bright side is, we know Jesus wins in the end. We just have to get through this tough time ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    No offense, but it's getting a little scary in here.
    non taken. but why specifically?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    non taken. but why specifically?
    This whole "they're persecuting us and omg people are believing in SCIENCE over religion comes over really cultish to me. It's not a modern face of religion to me, very backwards. Just my impression, maybe I am reading those things all wrong.