Page 11 of 574 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111511 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I know, right? It's so full of contradictions and paradoxes and inaccuracies and nonsense. And its ancient morality seems so alien and cruel in places. It's a good thing for Christianity that only a handful of unshakable true believers with a healthy capacity for rationalization read it all the way through. It just doesn't stand up to actual thinking.
    Without getting into the accuracy of it's portrait of events and people like King David or Nebuchadnezzar or Jesus. That there are people who read the bible believe that any of the Old Testament, pre-Israel, was real, that people like Moses or Jacob or Noah actually existed is mind boggling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I was answering the question raised by the thread subject. Should only people who read and believe in the Bible post here?
    Absolutely not. This thread is open to anyone and I would encourage everyone to post here whether you're a Christian or not. All I'm asking is please stay on topic. When I posted this thread it was "What scripture verse are you currently reading?". But we have some posters on here who have come in and started throwing around off topic discussions about whether God exists and how Christianity is a mythology and this and that and it's really offensive.

This thread was not created for those discussions.

BANNED

Without getting into the accuracy of it's portrait of events and people like King David or Nebuchadnezzar or Jesus. That there are people who read the bible believe that any of the Old Testament, pre-Israel, was real, that people like Moses or Jacob or Noah actually existed is mind boggling.
    Or that they can look at the Bible's ancient understanding of the natural world, look at the world around them and what we know today thanks to science, and say "Yeah. This matches. This is accurate. This must have been divinely inspired."

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Absolutely not. This thread is open to anyone and I would encourage everyone to post here whether you're a Christian or not. All I'm asking is please stay on topic. When I posted this thread it was "What scripture verse are you currently reading?". But we have some posters on here who have come in and started throwing around off topic discussions about whether God exists and how Christianity is a mythology and this and that and it's really offensive.

This thread was not created for those discussions.
    Unfortunately, the OP cannot control where a thread will go. I have found this out myself, much to my chagrin.

Like Dark Knight said, if you actually want to discuss the topic at hand it's cool. But to all the people that are coming in just to say God isn't real, the bible is false, or people who believe in the bible ( fairy tales) are crazy/ unintelligent etc. This thread was not made for that. If you want to bash God and religion do that in a separate thread or something if that's how you really feel.

I believe Jesus and Moses existed. Some people believe the world we live in now just happened by accident and we all evolved from primates. It's mind blogging for me that some think that but I don't go around trying to challenge or bash their beliefs . Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Psalm 27:1

John 1:17

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Proverbs 3:5-6

Philippians 4:13

And of course two of the most popular and beloved:

John 3:16 and Psalm 23
    Awesome list! We have similar faves

Also, I don't think science can or ever will disprove the existence of God, heaven or hell. As a Christian, I think science makes GOD look very cool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Awesome list! We have similar faves
    Thanks! Of course I have more but those came to my mind right away

BANNED

Also, I don't think science can or ever will disprove the existence of God, heaven or hell. As a Christian, I think science makes GOD look very cool.
    Right. God cannot be quantified or proven by science. He wants us to have faith in something that cannot be seen (by us)

BANNED

Like Dark Knight said, if you actually want to discuss the topic at hand it's cool. But to all the people that are coming in just to say God isn't real, the bible is false, or people who believe in the bible ( fairy tales) are crazy/ unintelligent etc. This thread was not made for that. If you want to bash God and religion do that in a separate thread or something if that's how you really feel.
    Dude, I know you're new here, but the mods have already stepped in and chastised both sides, so let the thread policing fight go. I'll be nicer, you stop trying to set the parameters of the conversation.

BANNED

It's true, you can't disprove anything. The burden of proof is on the one making the affirmative statement.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    That's your prerogative, of course, but if you are interested in no one else's thoughts on the subject, why even come into a discussion thread?
    Well, feedback from those in the thread can be a nice thing. I do like hearing interpretations of the actual material.

I'm interested in your ideas, too. I know this may seem, at times, like everyone is putting you on the defensive, or poking holes in your faith, but it's mostly just discussion. In order to understand where someone's boundaries of faith are, where their position on a subject is, questions are sometimes asked. It's just a basic part of conversation, and I, at least, am genuinely interested in your answers. I'm not trying to redirect your thought processes or destroy your faith or anything.

It's an interesting set of subjects rooted in an interesting book. Don't feel the thread would be better for you not posting, or anything like that.
    Thanks, I appreciate you saying that, and I've seen you posting thoughtfully for as far back as I can remember on the forums. I actually do think questions are necessary as yeah, different walks of life lead to different outlooks. Questions are good because they promote answers. Answers are great when people want them.

Anyway, what are some of folks favorite bible verses and why?
    Naturally, the story of David. Strangely, I really like how Saul would just not play ball. It's something I understood instantly because he was just so persistent in chasing the enemy, which was himself.

I also like Exodus 8:10 for the same idea. "I'll fix it... tomorrow." I know this guy.

My favorite books would be roughly the books of James, Ephesus, and Galatians. My favorite chapters are probably James 2, Ephesians 3, and Ephesians 4. Verses get tricky because it's basically what's with me at a given time. I'm kind of a main idea person. Right now I'm really thinking of James 3:13.

Astonishing Member

There's not just one missing link there's hundreds and then there's advanced species that appear a lot faster than they should.

I honestly think the old testament is just parables, every story has a moral at it's end. I can't bring myself to take it literally whatsoever.