Page 535 of 544 FirstFirst ... 35435485525531532533534535536537538539 ... LastLast
Results 8,011 to 8,025 of 8160
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    It isn't stated in the bible and you can theorize what exactly happened, but IMO, I believe that Abraham had such great faith in God that if he did kill Issac, God would bring him back to life. The test therefore was could he still sacrifice his son not knowing for sure what was going to happen. And he passed the test.
    That's how the author of Hebrews interpreted the story: "By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, even though God had said to him, 'It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.' Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death."

Even if he thought God would bring him back to life, it would still be incredibly hard to kill your son.
    And still incredibly immoral.

I believe every individual narrative in the Bible must be weighed against the tone and temper of the scriptures as a whole, as well as judged according to one's conscience and reason. The Old Testament repeatedly emphasizes God's disdain for human sacrifice, so why would he test Abraham according to his willingness to slaughter his son? The binding of Isaac strikes me as an early step in the process of disentangling humanity's concept of God from superstition and blood sacrifice. The author makes it a point that God doesn't actually require Isaac's blood, after all. But it's just a baby step, if you will, toward a picture that comes into sharper focus over time.

There's a sequence in Robert E. Howard's Conan story "The Black Colossus" where the princess Yasmela seeks the counsel of the god Mitra. Her attendant, Vateesa, explains the ways in which Mitra is different than other deities. He does not inhabit his idols, but they are merely imperfect human images of his true glory. And she advises Yasmela that "Mitra would have folks stand upright before him--not crawling on their bellies like worms, or spilling blood of animals all over his altars." I love that quote!

In the scriptures, we have concepts of God that sometimes come into conflict as they evolve. Certainly the picture we get of a god who tests Abraham by demanding he slaughter his son is very different than the loving Father preached by Jesus. I choose Christ.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Today's Devotion:

TREASURING GOD IN TROUBLES
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...tions/june-18/
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.--Isaiah 40:31

“Everything’s impossible until somebody does it.” – Batman

“You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! Best weapons in the world!"--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    That's how the author of Hebrews interpreted the story: "By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, even though God had said to him, 'It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.' Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death."
    Right, it says Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, but he didn't know for sure that God would raise Isaac.
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.--Isaiah 40:31

“You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! Best weapons in the world!"--The Doctor

Today's Devotion:

WISDOM FILLS THE HOUSE WITH TREASURES
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...tions/june-19/

Ever since I was a child there is a certain type of character, most of them female, that I gravitate to and find inspiration from. The person I constantly strive to be. They come in different guises. But they usually tend to be very focused, poised, classy, disciplined and with a good heart (even if it's not apparent at first). She thinks its' her responsibility to help and add to the lives of others.

One thing I have noticed from all these characters is that they all have rough beginnings, ugly child hoods, abusive relationships, betrayals etc. where they were forced to fend for themselves or when through crushing humiliations and difficulties. Most of which they had to cope with on their own. But in the final analysis they came out stronger.

But they did not come out stronger in and of themselves. They made a decision to allow their difficulties to make them stronger. As opposed to allowing them to crush them and make them bitter.

This morning in my devotions THS led me to this verse:

John 12:24 New Century Version (NCV)
    24 I tell you the truth, a grain of wheat must fall to the ground and die to make many seeds. But if it never dies, it remains only a single seed.
    And in it I feel that God is telling me that if I want to change and be stronger and better. 'To produce good fruit'- then when I go through the storms of life I need to allow them to shape me so that I can have the character that God wants me to have and be who He made me to be.

Amen.
    • “We do not choose our destinies but we must do our duty no? Great or small we must do our duty.”- Stannis Baratheon
    • “Physical books are more than just the words they contain. They are also tools that stimulate the senses & adjust our thinking”-Makashima

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Ever since I was a child there is a certain type of character, most of them female, that I gravitate to and find inspiration from. The person I constantly strive to be. They come in different guises. But they usually tend to be very focused, poised, classy, disciplined and with a good heart (even if it's not apparent at first). She thinks its' her responsibility to help and add to the lives of others.

One thing I have noticed from all these characters is that they all have rough beginnings, ugly child hoods, abusive relationships, betrayals etc. where they were forced to fend for themselves or when through crushing humiliations and difficulties. Most of which they had to cope with on their own. But in the final analysis they came out stronger.

But they did not come out stronger in and of themselves. They made a decision to allow their difficulties to make them stronger. As opposed to allowing them to crush them and make them bitter.

This morning in my devotions THS led me to this verse:

And in it I feel that God is telling me that if I want to change and be stronger and better. 'To produce good fruit'- then when I go through the storms of life I need to allow them to shape me so that I can have the character that God wants me to have and be who He made me to be.

Amen.
    Amen Mia! God is good!

Today's Devotion:

WHAT DO YOU TREASURE?
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...tions/june-21/

Today's Devotion:

SEEKING ETERNAL TREASURES
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...tions/june-23/

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans."

Proverbs 16:3

Today's Devotion:

ALL TREASURES ARE THE LORD’S
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...tions/june-24/

Today's Devotion:

THE RICH YOUNG MAN CHOSE THE WRONG TREASURE
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...tions/june-25/

Just curious, for the non believers, who do you think Jesus was, is you don't believe he was the Messiah?

Just curious, for the non believers, who do you think Jesus was, is you don't believe he was the Messiah?
    A preacher or traveling Rabbi named Yeshua Ben Joseph. Had a small following and later people created stories about him that turned him into a mythical God.

Not the first time this has happened.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 06-25-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Just a bloke.

Or possibly a complete fabrication.

Or possible an amalgamation of a few different blokes.

Probably just a bloke though.

He was/is the Messiah, just not what most of the Jewish people were expecting/wanting and not what most Christians later made him out to be.

He was/is unique (a miracle) in a number of ways but still human - a man.

He was a Word of God and was permitted to do various deeds (miracles), including:

- speaking as a newborn
    - healing the blind and lepers
    - praying for a table laden with food
    - creating a bird from clay and bringing it to life
    - bringing the dead to life
    - knowing what people had eaten and what they had stored away.

He called people to worship God alone - urged them not to go to extremes in doing so and not to "show off", either. He advised people to look at their own sins and misdeeds and mistakes first before pointing fingers at others.