Page 555 of 574 FirstFirst ... 55455505545551552553554555556557558559565 ... LastLast
Results 8,311 to 8,325 of 8598

I feel for them as well. This is a situation that should not be. If more people were organ donors, others in need would get the tranplants. I think organ donation is something that Christ would look on as a good thing.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by kirby101 View Post
    i feel for them as well. This is a situation that should not be. If more people were organ donors, others in need would get the tranplants. I think organ donation is something that christ would look on as a good thing.
    delete post
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-25-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I'm sure you have already heard this, but take lots of pictures and videos when they're growing up, because before you know it, they're in their teens. It seems like only yesterday that my two kids were in elementary school. Not they're in their twenties.
    My wife and I pretty much take pictures every day (to share with the parents rather than me sneaking looks while at work... honest ).

Can't believe she's almost 16 weeks old already :O

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I have found that God leads and teaches His children in different ways. It can be according to life experience and temperament. We each have a different voice and the Almighty speaks to that and uses it. What is resonant for one believer is not for another. That's why Christianity as defined as 'a personal relationship with God' through Jesus Christ. Emphasis on personal
    The Islamic belief is that God is closer to us than our jugular vein - that He knows us intimately and directly. This further extends to each of us being different.

For me personally I find that the best way that I have for 'serving' God is to see myself as one of His employees (as in servant). As opposed to child, as I find that too passive especially in the North American context.
    'Abdullah' is a common name among Muslims - it means 'servant of God' (other 'Abdul'/'Abdel'-prefixed names use various attributes of God ('Abdulrahman' ('servant of the Most Gracious') and 'Abdulraheem' ('servant of the Most Merciful').

'Slave' and 'servant' are often used interchangeably in translation but they are different: 'slave', in essence, denotes someone wholly dependent on the provisions provided to them by another (i.e. all of us are dependent on what God gives us (even when we think we're providing for ourselves)), while 'servant', as you have outlined, is more a form of 'employment'. In Islam, it indicates someone who has willingly given themselves to God and is separate from 'slave' because, basically, whether we like it or believe it (per the teachings of the faith) we are all (the whole of creation) God's slaves (i.e. we wouldn't exist if He didn't want us to), while the 'servant', through their actions (and true words), try to conduct themselves in a worshipful way.

Translations can get difficult, even in a 'simple' exchange such as this one. 'Abd', in Classical Arabic, can refer to the relationship between God and man and between man and man, but when used in the plural ('Ibaad' for between God and mankind and 'Abeed' for between men) you can start to see the distinctions... but they don't translate well .

Another word you might come across is 'Ibaada', which is a word for worship - i.e. the actions and so on of a person in relation to God (prayers, supplication, helping the needy etc.)

Going back to 'Abd' and 'Abdul' etc., Arab Christians use it, too, and have names such as:

Abdul Masih ('slave of the Messiah' or 'servant of the Messiah')
    Abdul Salib ('slave of the Cross' or 'servant of the Cross')
    Abd Yasu ('slave of Jesus' or 'servant of Jesus')

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I feel for them as well. This is a situation that should not be. If more people were organ donors, others in need would get the tranplants. I think organ donation is something that Christ would look on as a good thing.
    The UK is moving to have organ donation as an 'opt-out' rather than an 'opt-in' in 2020. There has been a recent campaign advising of this but I don't think most people are actually aware of it.

Families will still be consulted on it, however, and it should be noted that (in the UK) only 1 in 100 people die in a way which allows for their organs to be fit for transplanting. Also worth noting that the change is for 'routine' transplants (so there has to be explicit consent in relation to organs like face, hands and uterus).

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    The UK is moving to have organ donation as an 'opt-out' rather than an 'opt-in' in 2020. There has been a recent campaign advising of this but I don't think most people are actually aware of it.
    That's a definite step in the right direction.

Really though, I would be fine if it was just something that happened with no option to opt out. If your organs are still good after you die and someone needs them, then why should you be allowed to deny them if you aren't using them anymore?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Can't imagine what they are going through. I'll pray for the situation and their relationship. An ordeal like that takes a toll beyond the obvious.
    Thank you Scott

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Absolutely. I am a donor and I hope if something happens to me, that others can live on through my organ donations.

BANNED

My wife and I pretty much take pictures every day (to share with the parents rather than me sneaking looks while at work... honest ).

Can't believe she's almost 16 weeks old already :O
    LOL. Keep up the good work Adkal

BANNED

BANNED

Today's devotion:

FINDING SIGNIFICANCE
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue...ember-28-2019/

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    A family that is friends with us is having an extremely hard ordeal right now. Their 14 year old son needs a heart transplant and has been physically deteriorating every day and is losing his battle. It's heart breaking to see this hit so close to home. It's hard when it's an adult, but it's so much worse when it's a child. I still have hope that the Lord will perform a miracle and he will get to go home, but right now he's in intensive care and his parents are emotionally and physically exhausted.
    I hope and pray that a suitable heart is found in time for him.

The one thing getting through all this is their love for Christ. They have never wavered (to my knowledge) but I can't imagine how tough it must be for them and their family. It's during these times when the devil likes to whisper in your ear that God has abandoned you, etc. We just have to be strong and trust in God, and not be spiritually crippled.
    Faith and hope are so intertwined in such situations it can be especially difficult to hold on to either or both the longer things last. It can be easy to say "God doesn't test someone more than they can bear" when one isn't in the situation themselves, and it's even harder to 'justify' the suffering when it's a child. It's often suggested to look at Job (Ayub (as)) (and there are many stories in the OT of those suffering and going through all sorts of hardships) but they don't always help. As you said, the whispers are there and the heart and mind wander and wonder.

It's a solitary thing, too, even when surrounded by friends and family. As a friend, the main thing (as well as prayers) is to be there for them, even if it's just as a silent presence.

One of my best friends is currently going through what may be another battle with cancer (a different type to the one he overcame a decade or so ago).

My Dad's best friend (basically an uncle of mine) passed away a little under two weeks ago after a two-and-a-half-year battle with (a very aggressive) cancer. It was heartbreaking - the man who used to carry me on his shoulders could barely shuffle to his bed in the hospice. That he couldn't turn in his bed without our help.

I have tears streaming down my face as I type this.

I wish your friend's son well.

BANNED

I hope and pray that a suitable heart is found in time for him.

Faith and hope are so intertwined in such situations it can be especially difficult to hold on to either or both the longer things last. It can be easy to say "God doesn't test someone more than they can bear" when one isn't in the situation themselves, and it's even harder to 'justify' the suffering when it's a child. It's often suggested to look at Job (Ayub (as)) (and there are many stories in the OT of those suffering and going through all sorts of hardships) but they don't always help. As you said, the whispers are there and the heart and mind wander and wonder.

It's a solitary thing, too, even when surrounded by friends and family. As a friend, the main thing (as well as prayers) is to be there for them, even if it's just as a silent presence.

One of my best friends is currently going through what may be another battle with cancer (a different type to the one he overcame a decade or so ago).

My Dad's best friend (basically an uncle of mine) passed away a little under two weeks ago after a two-and-a-half-year battle with (a very aggressive) cancer. It was heartbreaking - the man who used to carry me on his shoulders could barely shuffle to his bed in the hospice. That he couldn't turn in his bed without our help.

I have tears streaming down my face as I type this.

I wish your friend's son well.
    Thanks Adkal. Prayers sent for your Dad's friend. May God perform a miracle and heal him.

BANNED

My mother-in-law just went into hospice. This might sound bad, but please pray that God takes her home soon. She's got dementia, had it for many years, and is living a rudimentary shell of a life. My wife and I and her brothers would just as soon she went home.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.