Page 564 of 575 FirstFirst ... 64464514554560561562563564565566567568574 ... LastLast
Results 8,446 to 8,460 of 8614

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    What are the physical "earthly life" (is that a fair term?) descriptions of him?
    This is a creation of what a typical man in his thirties at that time in Palestine. I am sure if he was blonde haired and blue eyed, the bible would mention it.

It's a counter to this type of image:

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

What are the physical "earthly life" (is that a fair term?) descriptions of him?
    I am sure if he was ____ the bible would mention it.
    LOL!
    I asked; what if anything the Bible mentions, if there is a physical description? Don't really get your answer to that? Or if you don't know it, say so.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-14-2020 at 09:09 PM.

LOL!
    I asked; what if anything the Bible mentions, if there is a physical description? Don't really get your answer to that? Or if you don't know it, say so.
    I was explaining the point of the pic I posted. I am not well versed enough in the NT to answer your question. Maybe some one else here?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Apparently one of the earliest portraits of Jews, taken from a Syrian synagogue dated by an Aramaic inscription to 244 CE

Re:
    Apparently he is not physically described―except that he didn’t stand out in any particular way.
    According to Gospels about 30 years old, Jewish man born in Bethlehem and raised in the town of Nazareth, in Galilee (formerly Palestine/northern Israel) first century A.D.
    When arrested he had to be pointed out to soldiers among the disciples―presumably because they all appeared similar to one another.

Roman coin 71 C.E
    Left- (Emperor) how they depicted themselves- "victory"
    Rigt- how depicted a captured Jewish man with hands tied behind back, and a seated Jewish woman in mourning under a palm tree. IVDEA CAPTA - “Judea Conquered.”

Last edited by Güicho; 01-15-2020 at 07:42 AM.

So the Nat Geo picture I posted is probably a good approximation.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Today's Devotion:

TAKE UP AND READ
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/15/
    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"--Romans 8:28

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

“Would you like a jelly baby?”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

From Isaiah 53:

"He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him."

I take this to mean that God purposely made Him unattractive so that people would not follow Him for his good looks, but only His message.
    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"--Romans 8:28

“A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

“Would you like a jelly baby?”--The Doctor

Thanks Whovian, thats a great verse.

From Philippians 2:

"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."

Personally I think he had charisma up the wazoo. But that came more out of who he was, how he treated people and how he carried himself than any super good looks. We all know people like that - people who are just cool to be around.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So the Nat Geo picture I posted is probably a good approximation.
    Certainly more likely than that second one you posted LOL!(which still not sure why you posted it in answer to what you quoted; asking for legit descriptions of him)?
    But yeah approximating someone from place and time(formerly Palestine/northern Israel).

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post

From Isaiah 53:

"He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him."

I take this to mean that God purposely made Him unattractive so that people would not follow Him for his good looks, but only His message.
    Interesting citation thanks!
    Also you think "unattractive" would be implied? Or just plain, as in doesn't stand out?
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-15-2020 at 06:15 PM.

While we don't have a good description of Jesus of Nazareth prior to his crucifixion, we do have a very good description of how Jesus looked post-resurrection circa AD 90:

Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength. Revelation 12-16

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psimitar View Post
    While we don't have a good description of Jesus of Nazareth prior to his crucifixion, we do have a very good description of how Jesus looked post-resurrection circa AD 90:

Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength. Revelation 12-16
    I don't think that's intended as a literal physical appearance, given that if his face was 'like the sun shining in full strength' anyone who looked at him directly would be blind.

... we do have a very good description of how Jesus looked post-resurrection
    Yeah, that description is so intentionally fantastic, for the discussion you are quoting, clearly asked for any physical description of his "earthly life" (not sure if that was the right term, hence I put it in quotes).
    As you and others indicate, there doesn't appear to be any in Biblical description. Other than place, time ,age(abt 30), ethnicity mother*) and to suggest the most outstanding thing about him was that he in fact did not stand out**.

So yeah "historically" your left looking at modern reconstruction/reimaginings of people of the time and place (although I'm not sure why you can't just look at actual Palestinian Jews who still exist today), or at art or any evidence of how others described or depicted them, or they depicted themselves, at the time.

*notwithstanding father hypotheses of Tiberius Julius Abdes Pantera
    (**which seems to be the point, as anyone can project who they want, which makes it all the more encompassing).
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-16-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Yeah, that description is so intentionally fantastic, for the discussion you are quoting, clearly asked for any description of his "earthly life".
    As you and others indicate, there doesn't appear to be any Biblical description. Other than to suggest the most outstanding thing about him was that he in fact did not stand out. (which seems to be the point, as you can project who you want).
    So yeah "historical "looking at reconstruction/reimaginations of people of the time and place, or art how others depicted them, or they depicted themselves.
    Revelations has got a conflicting history with the church. And is description of Jesus is like Jesus' ultimate final form or something. It is a diatribe all about revenge, against Rome for destroying Jerusalem and against certain Christians for disagreeing with the author. Both Martin Luther and Saint Augustine felt Revelations was not appropriate to the Bible, because it was not about Christ or the Apostles, because it is not written by an apostle (which was the criteria) and because it has no comment on how to live a spiritual life. Some will say that it was John the Evangelist that wrote it but there really is no evidence that John of Patmos and him are the same person. The author of Revelation was like an activist crusading for traditional values. In his case, he was a devout Jew who saw Jesus as the messiah. But he didn’t like the message that the apostle Paul and other followers of Jesus were preaching.

Jesus is the most painted figure in all of Western art, this image of Jesus actually comes from the Byzantine era, from the 4th Century onwards, and Byzantine representations of Jesus were symbolic - they were all about meaning, not historical accuracy. The Galilean man (posted by Kirby though I think it was for the BBC and not Nat Geo) a model created by forensic anthropologist Richard Neave would most likely be the closets as being a man of his time and place, since we are never told he looked distinctive.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 01-16-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Hope folks are well and 2020 is off to a good start for you.

Anyone seen the series that was recently released on Netflix?

Thoughts?

(Some aspects reminded me of Batman v Superman and the Supergirl series over on CW)

Its always very interesting to me when I read descriptions like this one. The imagery here evokes, to an extent, the imagery in Nebuchadnezzar's Dream - Head of Gold, Breast of Stone, Thighs of Brass, Legs of Iron and Feet of Iron and Clay. Which, many believe, is a timeline. Now I really wonder what the symbolism is in Christ's appearance. Got to read Revelation again soon.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-16-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.