Page 577 of 589 FirstFirst ... 77477527567573574575576577578579580581587 ... LastLast
Results 8,641 to 8,655 of 8827
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Today's devotion:

CORRECTING WITH LOVE
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/02/
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

“Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

“I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

“Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

Today's devotion:

PRAY FOR ALL PEOPLE
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/04/

Today's devotion:

MEN, WOMEN, AND WORSHIP
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/05/

What part of the bible is everyone currently reading?

For some reason a weird question crossed my mind today. (especially considering that i'm absolutely not a religious person but well, that's what too much free time does to you)

Jesus knew of course he was going to die. He came to Jerusalem, knowing that each step would lead to his death.

Isn't that suicide?

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    For some reason a weird question crossed my mind today. (especially considering that i'm absolutely not a religious person but well, that's what too much free time does to you)

Jesus knew of course he was going to die. He came to Jerusalem, knowing that each step would lead to his death.

Isn't that suicide?
    That's a great question. Knowing you are going to die isn't suicide. For example, people with cancer know they are going to die and some have the choice to have treatment to kill the cancer. My father in law had the choice to leave it alone and die in a few months or have it removed and hope he lived longer.

Jesus could have chose to not die and He could have, at any moment, shown just how powerful He was and struck everyone dead. In fact, Jesus' human side struggled with what was about to happen in the Garden of Gethsemane and prayed so hard that He cried tears of blood. But Jesus was following God's plan and doing His will, so He allowed Himself to be arrested, tried unfairly and put to death for our sins, so that we may be spiritually alive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    What book of the bible are you reading? I like to read chapters from one book of the Old Testament and New Testament at the same time. I'm currently reading Habakkuk and Hebrews.
    Lol I don't see religion people on forums anymore. I grew up and was raised predominately by very religious people since I was an orphan and the people around me all thought that I should be a Christian at the very least and somehow this would solve or alleviate most of my problems, okay? so I'm not religious at all but I believe in the bible. I spent lots of time studying politics and attending some political rallies and civil protests, I was a little involved in those scenes and then I just gave up and became extremely disheartened and disenchanted when I was how insincere and fake the desire for meaningful or real lasting change is. Often times, it's all just for some self centered agenda. There was other things I was into, when I was very young I loved comic books and superheroes, and I went through this spiritual and philosophical phase. I went around testing ideas and spiritual, philosophical ideas in the real world but again I kept re-occurring having the same experiences wherein I found most people are disingenuous and not at all interesting in serious discussions beyond their own fleeting and petty self interests. Then I got into spirituality to attempt and find inner peace but I found the spiritual community too quick to attempt and control other people and use their philosophies as this one sized fits all solution to everything. You know, the answer to everything is just to "live in the present"

I then tried the Enneagram and MBTI (Meyer's Briggs system https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/type-descriptions) but was left disheartened with that community as well again it was just largely the same thing everywhere. They are often just used as systems of control to confuse or gain leverage above other people or individuals. Eventually, I gave up on everything and felt myself spiraling into meaninglessness and despair and felt I was becoming a nihilist but I couldn't live in an empty meaningless world.

That's when all the biblical stuff that was forced one me as a child throughout my life started coming back and I started having visions almost of things from the bible. So I came back around to Judaism, Christianity and Muslim, but decided on Christianity I guess.

I'm not really sure about religion though, I struggle a lot with atheism and it feels good these days just to think "well, I guess it's just evolution" which, is another point I got to. I like Nietzsche a lot, his quote in particular "God is dead" I find particularly pertinent. I'm not against religion, but I have many qualms with it.
    Last edited by RisingForce; 05-05-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Oh but I basically think that overall it is "God" you either except that or you don't, but that's a complicated thing to define and I think there's many pretenders that are at times more difficult to decipher or acknowledge then you would realize.

I guess I just feel like religion isn't worth it anymore for me, for one it's as liable to misunderstanding and disagreement as much as any other institutions or organizations and establishments and going back to making everybody wear robes against and take vows of celibacy isn't going to really solve our differences and even then is just not worth it to me, I'm all for personal choice and individualism. I think that people are inherently good or bad often and you don't really need to force and coax then on the surface into acting "good" and that well, it's just not worth it for me I guess.

I've noticed a lot of peculiar things about my circumstances and from experience that further make it more complicated and difficult if I can truly simply be religious or a Christian. For one, I struggle a lot politically for representation and find people like me somewhat left out of the equation. I'm not sure what my race or demographic could be considered though I am relatively 'European' I am not Italian and I have darker features but I am medium skinned and have light olive skin and dark wavy hair and yet blue eyes.

I find I really am in-between, people like me have to be center-left a little bit politically, and yet at the same time I have to be conservative somewhat. i am leery of religion because while I do believe put into practice that's another story all together, you have people with actions that are prone to extremism and fanaticism all the time. Thus I can't just be a "Christian" as easily either.

I then question and wonder all these thoughts on the bible like "could it ever go back to first testament" I think this is somewhat what the jews envision, as they see themselves constantly in a state of being still in the same situations as the first testament and I think "is that really valid" I would like to think that and then othertimes I think Christianity and religion are to fault for the destructive forces which have taken place on the world and I halfway think that it is religion's fault.

It all just makes everything exceedingly more complicated I guess. I feel like Armageddon really is like a clock that's continually moving forward akin to the factories in the classic movie "Metropolis" and that it has become Christianity and the concept of Armageddon which has become this out of control force and locomotion we cannot readily control. It reminds me of this song I guess.
    Last edited by RisingForce; 05-05-2020 at 02:28 PM.

oh and I've thought about attending church regularly but in the country I live in even attending church doesn't really make any difference, in fact the only solution or choice I really have is to vacate the country I currently reside in. I will perhaps attend church when I move to the U.S., but again it doesn't really change the inherent qualms I have with religion. Like having two people people in the same religion, how does that exactly make for a precept that they will easily get along with each other?

(In the country I live in when I go to church they like think I'm evil or something) but it's like that somewhat everywhere I guess where I'm found fickle and kinda glib religious people as well. Like going to church does not make you a pious lamb I think.
    Last edited by RisingForce; 05-05-2020 at 02:48 PM.

What part of the bible is everyone currently reading?
    Acts. Love reading about the early church, and all the excitement that happened (as well as the trials) during that time. Especially in these current circumstances, it makes you appreciate the ever-present hand of God in all situations.

That's a great question. Knowing you are going to die isn't suicide. For example, people with cancer know they are going to die and some have the choice to have treatment to kill the cancer. My father in law had the choice to leave it alone and die in a few months or have it removed and hope he lived longer.

Jesus could have chose to not die and He could have, at any moment, shown just how powerful He was and struck everyone dead. In fact, Jesus' human side struggled with what was about to happen in the Garden of Gethsemane and prayed so hard that He cried tears of blood. But Jesus was following God's plan and doing His will, so He allowed Himself to be arrested, tried unfairly and put to death for our sins, so that we may be spiritually alive.
    Good answer!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Acts. Love reading about the early church, and all the excitement that happened (as well as the trials) during that time. Especially in these current circumstances, it makes you appreciate the ever-present hand of God in all situations.

Good answer!
    Thanks. I love Acts. The history part of it really helps me with my faith. Knowing the struggles they went through and how the church was built. I think about that whenever I am going through my own struggles.

I often wonder what it would have been like trying to spread the gospel like Paul did. How hard and frustrating it must have been. But he had the Holy Spirit guiding him and comforting him.

Quote Originally Posted by RisingForce View Post
    oh and I've thought about attending church regularly but in the country I live in even attending church doesn't really make any difference, in fact the only solution or choice I really have is to vacate the country I currently reside in. I will perhaps attend church when I move to the U.S., but again it doesn't really change the inherent qualms I have with religion. Like having two people people in the same religion, how does that exactly make for a precept that they will easily get along with each other?

(In the country I live in when I go to church they like think I'm evil or something) but it's like that somewhat everywhere I guess where I'm found fickle and kinda glib religious people as well. Like going to church does not make you a pious lamb I think.
    Can I ask, when you read the bible, do you feel moved? I don't mean spiritually in general, but specifically towards God? Towards Jesus?

Today's devotion:

OVERSEEING THE CHURCH
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/06/

Can I ask, when you read the bible, do you feel moved? I don't mean spiritually in general, but specifically towards God? Towards Jesus?
    Why do you ask this specifically? I think I have a pretty fair grasp of the bible, but I don't think how I feel when I read the bible really changes my beliefs.