Page 578 of 589 FirstFirst ... 78478528568574575576577578579580581582588 ... LastLast
Results 8,656 to 8,670 of 8821
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RisingForce View Post
    Why do you ask this specifically? I think I have a pretty fair grasp of the bible, but I don't think how I feel when I read the bible really changes my beliefs.
    Sorry, no offense meant. I didn’t word my question right. You kept saying God so I just wondered if you believe in the holy trinity? I assume you do, but just thought I would ask.
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

“Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

“I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

Today's devotion:

SPIRITUAL MATURITY
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/07/
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

“Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Ok, here's the thing (sorry for sounding like that... non American/British)
    This week the thought occurred to me about meaning getting lost when translated. The Bible is not meant to be a rulebook for our lives because it is written down by men. Many times. Over centuries. I am Christian on paper but organized religion turns me off. You can be "good" without it. A part of me hates the idea we are only biological robots waiting for oblivion, though. For me there's a universal mind and its neither good nor evil and part of us will go on beyond death. That's my take. Since 2020 I am more spiritual and open-minded than ever and there are many different philosophies and theories I will check this year.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    This week the thought occurred to me about meaning getting lost when translated. The Bible is not meant to be a rulebook for our lives because it is written down by men. Many times. Over centuries. I am Christian on paper but organized religion turns me off. You can be "good" without it. A part of me hates the idea we are only biological robots waiting for oblivion, though. For me there's a universal mind and its neither good nor evil and part of us will go on beyond death. That's my take. Since 2020 I am more spiritual and open-minded than ever and there are many different philosophies and theories I will check this year.
    Hey bat, thanks for sharing. The bible is God breathed and while it is written by men, they were guided by the Holy Spirit. The bible is God's word for us here on earth, therefore we can apply it to our lives and daily living.

There are a lot of "good" people as you say, but it takes more than being good to be saved. Here is the story of the rich young man:

Matthew 19:16-22
    16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good[a] Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, [b]“Why do you call Me good? [c]No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept [d]from my youth. What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

Today's devotion:

SERVANTS AND DEACONS
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/08/

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    You are trying to be good? Give up! The Bible on "good" people:

"The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Genesis 6:5
    "To the choirmaster: according to Mahalath. A Maskil of David. The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, doing abominable iniquity; there is none who does good." Psalms 53:1
    "Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins" Ecclesiastes 7:20
    "as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;" Romans 3:10
    "And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone." - Luke 18:19

There are some tens of verses like these in the Bible. Plus tons of examples of flawed people rather than good people. The key concept of the Bible is this, actually, that people can't be good without God in their lives. That's "God", not "religion"

As to your quest - I think you should find out everything you can!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

So be an asshole your entire life, but believe in God, and you get into Heaven?

Doesn't sound very fair. Or that Heaven is a place I'd want to be, if it's full of assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    So be an asshole your entire life, but believe in God, and you get into Heaven?

Doesn't sound very fair. Or that Heaven is a place I'd want to be, if it's full of assholes.
    Who said God was fair? Certainly not me. He's a wild, untamed God who lets only the people he wants into heaven because He is God. This isn't some connect the dots life we have here where if you do it all perfectly you get to be rewarded for it. Nope, its an unfair, sorrowful life and at the end you have to get over the fact that you and everyone else are really assholes deep down.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 05-08-2020 at 07:39 PM.

That description of God sounds like an asshole as well.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Who said God was fair? Certainly not me. He's a wild, untamed God who lets only the people he wants into heaven because He is God. This isn't some connect the dots life we have here where if you do it all perfectly you get to be rewarded for it. Nope, its an unfair, sorrowful life and at the end you have to get over the fact that you and everyone else are really assholes deep down.
    Doesn't sound very loving either. I thought the Bible was supposed to God was lov3.

So God is basically a tyrant whose only requirement for salvation is that believe in him? No loving, no forgiveness, none of that malarkey that Jesus is supposed to have preached? Sounds like he should have had a few more conversations with Dad to ensure they were on the same page.
    Last edited by foxley; 05-08-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Doesn't sound very loving either. I thought the Bible was supposed God was supposed.

So God is basically a tyrant whose only requirement for salvation is that believe in him? No loving, no forgiveness, none of that malarkey that Jesus is supposed to have preached? Sounds like he should have had a few more conversations with Dad to ensure they were on the same page.
    God is very loving and very forgiving, of course. If he weren't, then he would be just all judgement all the time no matter what, which is fair. Nope, God is very unfair. We can be assholes all we want and he still forgives us and loves us.

You should read what Jesus said. Don't take my word for all this. He pretty much lays it all out clearly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the more cruel god the old testament? Isn't that why he supposedly became Jesus to understand what it was like to be human? But the god loves you even if you don't believe in him thing was either a myth or someone's wishful thinking? I'm not really all that angry at the supposed god. There are other things that get interpreted different ways too. So I try not to sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    God is very loving and very forgiving, of course. If he weren't, then he would be just all judgement all the time no matter what, which is fair. Nope, God is very unfair. We can be assholes all we want and he still forgives us and loves us.

You should read what Jesus said. Don't take my word for all this. He pretty much lays it all out clearly.
    So every religious fanatic who committed genocide in the name of God is in Heaven because they believe, but Mahatma Gandhi is damned to Hell for being a Hindu? Why would you want to go there?

Reading the New Testament, I am struck that it ironically seems particularly Roman ambivalent or at least would not appear to advocate the overthrow of Roman occupation very strongly. I wonder if this is primarily due to the time it was assembled when under a Christian Rome or if that somewhat pacifist side of the sect is what turned away other Jews and attracted non-Jews to it. Compared to the zealous and militant anti-Roman messianic movements that led to the Jewish rebellion, early Christianity almost feels like something the Romans would promote in opposition to that.

Today's devotion:

THE MYSTERY OF GODLINESS
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/09/