Page 586 of 589 FirstFirst ... 86486536576582583584585586587588589 LastLast
Results 8,776 to 8,790 of 8823
  1. #8776
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    So exiling Adam and Eve for disobeying him isn't 'throwing them to the wolves'? And that was their very first mistake.
    Not sure I understand what you are getting at. God made rules, they broke the rules. Instead of doing what most gods would do and just destroying them for disobeying, he exiled them and gave them a path forward under a new set of rules to still be able to commune with him (animal sacrifice, mainly, at the time).

    Yes they could have gotten eaten by wolves. Overall, though, I'd say mankind has done pretty good for themselves over time, considering we have developed the ability to completely, utterly wipe out the planet. Yay us?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  2. #8777
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post

    Do good parents test their children to determine if they're worthy of love?
    That was nothing compared to what he did to Abraham. Commanding someone to kill their own son is being cruel. Doesn't matter that he stopped it at the last second.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  3. #8778
    Astonishing Member foxley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Not sure I understand what you are getting at. God made rules, they broke the rules. Instead of doing what most gods would do and just destroying them for disobeying, he exiled them and gave them a path forward under a new set of rules to still be able to commune with him (animal sacrifice, mainly, at the time).

    Yes they could have gotten eaten by wolves. Overall, though, I'd say mankind has done pretty good for themselves over time, considering we have developed the ability to completely, utterly wipe out the planet. Yay us?
    If you don't understand, I'll try to explain.

    You said:
    A good parent isn't going to disown the kid and toss them to the wolves. No, a good parent will say "this is on me" and try to help and reconcile.
    I pointed out that God did 'throw them to the wolves' by casting Adam and Eve out of Eden for disobedience. Are now claiming that when you said "A good parent isn't to disown the kid and toss them to wolves", you actually meant "A good parent doesn't kill the kid"? Because those are two very different concepts. I have serious issues if the only criterion for being a "good parent " is not killing your kid.

  4. #8779
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading Daredevil
    Posts
    15,520

    Default

    Today's devotion:

    GROWING TO MATURITY
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/04/
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

    “Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

    “I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

  5. #8780
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    If you don't understand, I'll try to explain.

    You said:


    I pointed out that God did 'throw them to the wolves' by casting Adam and Eve out of Eden for disobedience. Are now claiming that when you said "A good parent isn't to disown the kid and toss them to wolves", you actually meant "A good parent doesn't kill the kid"? Because those are two very different concepts. I have serious issues if the only criterion for being a "good parent " is not killing your kid.
    Ok thanks I see. No I'm not trying to establish those boundaries and state that its only bad if you actually kill your kid. There are bad ways to parent, bad ways to raise a kid. My wife's brother was plain old kicked out of the house at 18. Lock the door, see ya, don't come back around. Is that bad parenting? I think so, or incompetent parenting, because her mom and dad had terrible examples growing up, plus they probably let emotion get the best of them.

    So yes God threw them to the wolves. The world outside of Eden was a hardscrabble life, and that is what he consigned them to live in. Not sure you could call it an objectively bad world. In comparison with Eden, sure its bad! But he didn't disown them, he still was there for them. Whether or not it was justified is absolutely the decision of the reader.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  6. #8781
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading Daredevil
    Posts
    15,520

    Default

    Today's devotion:

    GOD'S GREATER GOOD
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/05/
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

    “Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

    “I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

  7. #8782
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading Daredevil
    Posts
    15,520
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

    “Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

    “I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

  8. #8783
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading Daredevil
    Posts
    15,520

    Default

    Today's devotion:

    A FAILED BUILDING PROJECT
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/07/
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

    “Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

    “I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

  9. #8784
    Fantastic Member Psimitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Ok thanks I see. No I'm not trying to establish those boundaries and state that its only bad if you actually kill your kid. There are bad ways to parent, bad ways to raise a kid. My wife's brother was plain old kicked out of the house at 18. Lock the door, see ya, don't come back around. Is that bad parenting? I think so, or incompetent parenting, because her mom and dad had terrible examples growing up, plus they probably let emotion get the best of them.

    So yes God threw them to the wolves. The world outside of Eden was a hardscrabble life, and that is what he consigned them to live in. Not sure you could call it an objectively bad world. In comparison with Eden, sure its bad! But he didn't disown them, he still was there for them. Whether or not it was justified is absolutely the decision of the reader.
    Another angle to consider: In Genesis 3:22, God says-

    “Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—”

    If you look at the grammar, there, God doesn't finish the sentence. It's like the outcome was too horrible to contemplate. Prior to the Fall, Adam and Eve were not forbidden to eat from the Tree of Life, but attaining immortality in their fallen, sinful state was literally a fate worse than death. And this is what necessitated their eviction from Eden. God was protecting them from having to live with their sin forever. Think about every sci-fi/fantasy book or film or media where the subject is immortality. The immortal person is almost always trying to figure out how to die. They're looking for a release. Why is that? Because there's only so much garbage we can take. That is why our resurrection into new eternal bodies that are free from the defect of sin coincide with the new heaven and new earth (1 Corinthians 15:12-58; Revelation 21-22). Our eternality is tied to God finally purging sin and evil and death from our existence.

  10. #8785
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading Daredevil
    Posts
    15,520

    Default

    Today's devotion:

    A DIFFICULT LESSON
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/08/
    One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

    “Fortunately for me, I'm not a cop. so, I can break your face into a jigsaw puzzle if I want to...”--Daredevil

    “I am a citizen of the universe. And a gentleman to boot.”--The Doctor

  11. #8786
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psimitar View Post
    Another angle to consider: In Genesis 3:22, God says-

    “Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—”

    If you look at the grammar, there, God doesn't finish the sentence. It's like the outcome was too horrible to contemplate. Prior to the Fall, Adam and Eve were not forbidden to eat from the Tree of Life, but attaining immortality in their fallen, sinful state was literally a fate worse than death. And this is what necessitated their eviction from Eden. God was protecting them from having to live with their sin forever. Think about every sci-fi/fantasy book or film or media where the subject is immortality. The immortal person is almost always trying to figure out how to die. They're looking for a release. Why is that? Because there's only so much garbage we can take. That is why our resurrection into new eternal bodies that are free from the defect of sin coincide with the new heaven and new earth (1 Corinthians 15:12-58; Revelation 21-22). Our eternality is tied to God finally purging sin and evil and death from our existence.
    It seems to me that you are right, God's purpose was to save us from being immortally mundane beings.

    The Tree of Life was not forbidden before the fall, right? Not expressly. It was the eating of the Tree of Knowledge that linked Adam and Eve to death (Genesis 2:16-17) - "when you eat from it, you shall die." This tells me that Adam and Eve could have been eating from the Tree of Life in the Eden days. They no longer had access to the Tree of Life, though, after getting exiled from Eden. But they were still immortal beings, just not physically:

    "There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations - these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendors. This does not mean that we are to be perpetually solemn. We must play. But our merriment must be of that kind (and it is, in fact, the merriest kind) which exists between people who have, from the outset, taken each other seriously - no flippancy, no superiority, no presumption.” -CS Lewis, The Weight of Glory

    God could have made them immortal in the first place, too. I wonder if that, in part, is what is meant by "image of God."
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 06-08-2020 at 01:22 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  12. #8787
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,958

    Default

    So you are parsing the English words of a story taken from an earlier Babylonian myth and then translated into several dead languages over a few millennia before we get it in it's current form?
    I am amazed at people who know it's exact meaning and what God actually wanted.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  13. #8788
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So you are parsing the English words of a story taken from an earlier Babylonian myth and then translated into several dead languages over a few millennia before we get it in it's current form?
    I am amazed at people who know it's exact meaning and what God actually wanted.
    No, just stating what it says in the Bible and offering an opinion. Sort of like you are doing, except not bringing in the condescending tone.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  14. #8789
    Paranoid Android ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Incertisque loci...incerto tempore
    Posts
    2,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So you are parsing the English words of a story taken from an earlier Babylonian myth and then translated into several dead languages over a few millennia before we get it in it's current form?
    I am amazed at people who know it's exact meaning and what God actually wanted.
    You posted what I was thinking.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

  15. #8790
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    No, just stating what it says in the Bible and offering an opinion. Sort of like you are doing, except not bringing in the condescending tone.
    Point taken.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •