Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    I can't remember her name. She had some light and psychic powers. She was introduced in Joe Kelly's JLA run, I think.

Champions of Angor. They're DC's answer to Squadron Supreme.

Freedom Fighters.
    Sounds like Faith. I think Joe Kelly introduced her in JLA: Obsidian Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Loved him and Dawn too but I think they would need to redesign him.

I wouldn't mind seeing another Young Heroes in Love title. That book was one of the few teen team superhero books that I liked as a kid. That, Young Justice, and Runaways.

Would like to see The Heckler even if just for a one-shot. Triumph too, for some reason.
    The Manitous were Native American sorcerors right? How well were they written? Native Americans and magic tend not to mix well in American fiction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post

Champions of Angor. They're DC's answer to Squadron Supreme.
    I would love to see back the super-team Champions of Angor or "The Assemblers" in the DC Universe New 52. By way of curiosity here is some data on them taken from the site Artistic License:

Way back when, in the dark and distant 1970s, it was a fan's dream that Marvel and DC characters would be allowed to interact, but until the classic Superman vs Spider-Man, such meetings occurred only in the form of "pastiche" type characters and super-teams, A few years back, I did a column on Marvel's "Justice League" the Squadron Supreme. This time around, I thought I'd look at DC's "Avengers", known variously as the Champions of Angor, the Justifiers and the Assemblers.

Appearing in Justice League of America #87, which had the same cover date as the first appearance of the Squadron Supreme, the Assemblers were drawn into conflict with the Justice League when resource plundering robots, following attacks both Earth and Angor, were tracked back to their home world Can-Nam-Loo. Each team thought the other had sent out the plunder-bots and the traditionaly hero-vs-hero battle was on. We won't discuss how any culture that could contruct robots capable of interstellar travel and able to extract resources from distant planets could use the same robots to strip mine their own star system's planets, moons and asteroids, as well as those of hundreds of millions of uninhabited star systems, without inconveniencing any sentient types with super powers.

The Assemblers, in that story, consisted of Wandjina, an angry-looking storm-god, filling Thor's role. Bluejay is a shrinking man with artifical bird wings, doing Yellowjacket's job. Silver Sorceress, who doesn't seem to wear any silver, at all, indicating someone missed the point of the "scarlet" in Scarlet Witch's name, eh? And, last, but not least, the super speedster called Jack B. Quick, who looks, to me, like an early 70s Clint Eastwood in a Quicksilver knock-off costume.
    Last edited by Sansomon; 12-06-2015 at 05:32 AM.

BANNED

Much later, Wandjina, Silver Sorceress and Bluejay were reintroduced to Justice League fans when Justice League was relaunched, following the Legends mini-series. This time around, the heroes from Angor were wandering the universe, determined to help prevent nuclear disaster on the worlds they visited. When a nuclear reactor was damaged in their battle with the Justice League, Wandjina gives his life preventing a meltdown.

In a later appearance, we got to travel to the Assemblers' homeworld, via time travel, and get a glimpse of Angor and several other Assemblers. The members who were shown in that story include Tin Man, Bowman, and an unnamed giant-man clone. I never liked the name Tin Man, which seems somewhat demeaning, to me. In one flashback sequence, Jack B. Quick's real name was revealed to be Harry Christos and his code-name was changed to Capt. Speed. Considering the occassional name changes Marvel characters go through, sometimes, I can see that. It also allows me to come up with different names for a couple of the characters.

For the main characters, I haven't made any name changes. Wanjina's costume, I updated and gave him pants, always important to one's godly dignity. Instead of the red cape, I wanted something a little "stormy" looking. Lost the damn gold fur, no need for that.

With Silver Sorceress, I streamlined the outlandish headgear and gave her some silver color to the costume, in the blue/silver cape and revealing her silver-white hair. I kept the gold body suit and thought red boots fit better with it than blue/silver.

Looking at Jack B. Quick's costume, I decided (as with the Whizzer costume from my Squadron Supreme) that dark blue and silver would look good. I gave him a goggle-mask, because I think eye protection is important. Instead of a repetative jagged "lightning" pattern, I went for a more "energetic" lightning design.

Last edited by Sansomon; 12-06-2015 at 05:56 AM.

BANNED

On Bluejay, I didn't make many changes. I borrowed the boots from one of his earlier costumes, but made them gold, like his gloves. One of the things that bugs me about old costume designs is their reliance on the gymnastic/circus costume lines. It was fine, in the early days, but by the 1970s, it was time to find other design influences. Instead of white, I made the bodysuit light gray and black/dark blue.

That covers the original Assemblers, from there I looked for the Avengers analogues who were missing. They need an Iron Man, a Captain America and a Hawkeye. They also need a "Wasp", to go with their "Yellowjacket", and a "Vision" to go with their "Scarlet Witch".

Filling those roles isn't that hard, since I've been designing my own characters for so many years. For Iron Man, I borrowed a bit from the "Tin Man" shown in JL Quarterly #3's "Justifiers" team, designing a bulky armored suit. In JLQ #3 his colors are light blue and pale gold. Imagine Tony Stark now imagine if the first armor he had created was just Armor "Hulk Buster" powered by atomic energy and will make you an idea of Ironsmith.

It's a bit more difficult with the Captain America type. There are so many "patriotic" characters around, it's easy to step on someone else's designs. For this exercise, I went with the "star-spangled" look. When I designed the shield and the "V" design was coming together, the name Victory came to mind and since these guys are from a different world, with different history and traditions, I figured their America-analogue used red, white, blue and gold.

Last edited by Sansomon; 12-06-2015 at 05:39 AM.

BANNED

IN JLQ #3, there was a Bowman, but I never liked his costume and the name, while excellent, lacks the flash of a Hawkeye. I came up with Arrowstar, and gave him colors that would let him find camouflage, in the woods or the city. The boots, I based on an Apache design I saw, once. And, instead of having the "bowman" trained by American Indians, I made him an indian.

As I said, with Bluejay in the Yellowjacket role, we need a Wasp. Or, in this case, a Lark. Like Bluejay, she "grows" its size in the process expanded his physical strength, endurance and stamina.

And, to round things out and provide a companion for Silver Sorceress, a being who can walk through walls and render himself indestructible. I don't think of Phantasm, as I call him, as an android, I was thinking more along the lines of the original Vision, a transdimensional being, able to phase in and out of normal existence.

Last edited by Sansomon; 12-06-2015 at 04:24 AM.

BANNED

Another superhero of Angor member team of super-heroes equivalents of the Avengers,of the DC Universe, The Champions of Angor or The Assemblers this time it is the equivalent superhero, of Beast / Hank McCoy superhero "Neo Human "(or" mutant ") former member of the super group of" Neo-Humans "of Angor" Geno-Man "and current member of Assemblers Bestial. While the Beast began as a human with feet gorilla later became a man beast furry blue gorilla and underwent a secondary mutation that made him a furry blue man-lion Bestial has mutated that made him a man-gorilla lion . He is the scientific genius humorist irreparable , super-strong, super-agile with a hyper-accelerated healing factor of Assemblers.

Last edited by Sansomon; 12-06-2015 at 04:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Matthew Logan1962 View Post
    Sounds like Faith. I think Joe Kelly introduced her in JLA: Obsidian Age.
    Yep, that was her name. She was a cool new character, but I don't think she was seen again afterwards. It's hard making a newly created character stick, it's not as easy as people make it seem.

Chester Williams: American Cop from Swamp Thing. Mark Millar did a one-shot about if Swampie's dope smoking friend Chester had wound up a hard ass cop, and it needs to get brought back the way Marvel brought back his Old Man Logan.

BANNED

Waverider

Last edited by Sansomon; 12-07-2015 at 06:48 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Arion

Wild Dog

Any I'm missing?

They mentioned Arion in Secret Six so its possible he'll show up.

BANNED

Green Lantern Garl Rathbone

Green Lantern Anya Savenlovich

Green Lantern Judge Sool

Spectacular Member

The superheroes of argentina.
    Supermalon2.jpg

BANNED

Twitter289ac31.jpg

I'm going to go with Wild Dog. I see someone mentioned him above, kudos to you sir. He appeared in Suicide Squad for an arc and that was it.

Twitter6873703.jpg

Him too! Can we just turn this into an appreciation thread for obscure characters haha?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    The superheroes of argentina.
    Supermalon2.jpg
    I know nothing about the character, but that Jaguar costume is spectacular. The mask is so creepy!