Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    The idea that Wolverine has a consistent presentation that could possibly support such things falls apart when no one can provide feat one outside of these fights, to support these fights.
    What I'm asking for is his limit. Outside of his fights with other characters.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    The best argument I heard for it was " Wolverine cuts through a whole lot more metal than even peak humans oughta be able to cut through ."

Cutting sentinels was the next best feat he had . It's basically " cuts steel and things in that range and then sentinels and then .....the Hulk "

Though honestly , even cutting through a sentinel doesn't seem beyond what a peak human with unbreakable claws could do given

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...9732-36618.jpg

http://m.imgur.com/Ntwstt6
    The argument is that Cap's shield is as magical as Wolverine's claws. Even though for instance Batman will kick apart robot heads while flying through the air without, say, unbreakable boots.

edit: though I'll say that the severing a tank so hard it goes flying as opposed to gets sliced through is getting into bridge too far. Granted from the way it looks he only severed such as was attaching the top of that tank, to the tank. Which when I type that out actually kinda makes it less impressive outside of the goes flying thing..
    Last edited by Pendaran; 09-24-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    What I'm asking for is his limit. Outside of his fights with other characters.
    So did I. The only thing I got in response were people saying why they didn't have to provide one. Wolverine outside of his fights basically easily slices through various thicknesses of metals.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    What IS the most durable person Wolverine could cut anyway?
    Luke Cage maybe?
    It depends how seriously you take some of Luke Cage's later era stuff.

The argument is that Cap's shield is as magical as Wolverine's claws. Even though for instance Batman will kick apart robot heads while flying through the air without, say, unbreakable boots.

edit: though I'll say that the severing a tank so hard it goes flying as opposed to gets sliced through is getting into bridge too far. Granted from the way it looks he only severed such as was attaching the top of that tank, to the tank. Which when I type that out actually kinda makes it less impressive outside of the goes flying thing..
    He only severed the top of the tank and not the whole thing . That's kinda ....really impressive in how much metal it (still ) manages to slice through

From the way it looks, the shield is sundering through things that keep the top of the tank attached to the tank (it's a thing that swivels around after all), and the top of the tank goes flying as a result. This first thing is less impressive than it first seems, the second thing means the shield was now.. causing secondary explosions or something that sent it flying (and we actually see explosions, as if underneath the top of the tank they were storing nitro or something).

edit: it's not unimpressive, it just means he didn't put the shield through one end of the tank and out the other or something like that.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 09-24-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Here's a non magic weapon example . Though it involves someone arguably ( slightly ) stronger

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...tting+feat.jpg

Here's a non magic weapon example . Though it involves someone arguably ( slightly ) stronger

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...tting+feat.jpg
    Deathstroke's sword was clearly also magic, or a lightsaber (it was glowing!) or something.

Those scans really remind me on how weird it is to determine the line between Peak Human and Superhuman.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Those scans really remind me on how weird it is to determine the line between Peak Human and Superhuman.
    It's not that weird. None of that stuff is really a big conceptual leap from the crap we see peak humans doing with their bare hands (tearing the trunk hoods off cars underwater from outside, punching people through, in the sense that the door buckles and smashes down, reinforced steel doors, aerial tackling people right through brick walls, so forth).

I mean it's weird in the sense of real life humans, sure. Real life humans aren't taking out tigers and Rhinos and such in hand to hand combat either.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 09-24-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Deathstroke's sword was clearly also magic, or a lightsaber (it was glowing!) or something.
    It was set on fire with friction lol. It's from Adventures of superman 580. In the previous page he is shown with a not glowing sword . In the page after , still talking with Encantedora whatever her name was , his sword is still smoking but no longer burning . By the next panel it's back to normal .

It was set on fire with friction lol. It's from Adventures of superman 580. In the previous page he is shown with a not glowing sword . In the page after , still talking with Encantedora whatever her name was , his sword is still smoking but no longer burning . By the next panel it's back to normal .
    It became a lightsaber long enough for him to cut the car in half, then he flicked the switch that turned it back into a normal sword off panel ;p

From the way it looks, the shield is sundering through things that keep the top of the tank attached to the tank (it's a thing that swivels around after all), and the top of the tank goes flying as a result. This first thing is less impressive than it first seems, the second thing means the shield was now.. causing secondary explosions or something that sent it flying (and we actually see explosions, as if underneath the top of the tank they were storing nitro or something).

edit: it's not unimpressive, it just means he didn't put the shield through one end of the tank and out the other or something like that.
    I'll recheck the issue but I'm pretty sure no explosives were involved . That's just the art to show the shield cutting through stuff with a bang

As you said , it's still a noteworthy feat even if it's just the swivelling top

I'll recheck the issue but I'm pretty sure no explosives were involved . That's just the art to show the shield cutting through stuff with a bang
    My point is really just that unless Michael Bay wrote the issue, when you show explosions, they have to come from somewhere or things have suddenly gone bizarre. I don't actually think they were storing nitro under the top of the tank.

Being more serious on Deathstroke, it's worth noting his sword is promethium (the DC super metal- nothing as good as adamantium, just, y'know, a really tough metal), and he is somewhat nebulously stronger than the peak human brigade. It's still an example of "give someone in that range a basically indestructible weapon and..."

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

The idea that Wolverine has a consistent presentation that could possibly support such things falls apart when no one can provide feat one outside of these fights, to support these fights.
    For myself, I've seen comics where Wolverine slices through Sentinel armor like it's nothing, or rips apart the Danger Room's door without effort (zip, zip, two big cuts through it, each over 6' in length). Though to be fair, the latter was of dubious canonicity (Obnoxio the Clown versus The X-Men).

What does Marvel itself say, presentation-wise (which, I'll note, is meaningless with regards to Rumbles as it comes from the Marvel wiki, but just for fun...)? Edit: this next part is actually meaningless, because 'marvel.wiki' not marvel.com.

Emphasis mine.

So here Marvel is going on about how sure, Adamantium COULD cut anything. But its capacity to slice through an object will also depend on that object's durability (why, why do they use 'density'? Gold is far more dense than steel, and steel is a crapton harder to cut) AND the force behind the cutting attempt.

Which, again, is coming off marvelwiki so.

Wolverine not being some Class 20 fellow, I personally feel that means he's not exactly slicing through things to which steel is the equivalent of saranwrap. Things like the Hulk's body, for example.

Mileage may vary.

I also feel similarly about him in general, WITHOUT the marvel.wiki thing.

Much edited due to stupid thoughts and carrying on a conversation while writing.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 09-24-2015 at 11:17 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate