Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

That series had some decent art, but the insane Genis stuff just went on too long and really made him a character I just didnt want to read about anymore
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

BANNED

To me, aside from the decent art, the color art by Chris Sotomayor was outstanding!

BANNED

Avengers #2 Nov 1963
    First appearance of the Space Phantom in "The Avengers Battle the Space Phantom!"
    Iron Man, Thor and the Hulk are awaiting Ant-Man and the Wasp in Tony Stark's library so they can begin their meeting.
    There is already tension among the ranks of this new super-team as Thor and Hulk bicker.
    Before anything can come of it, Ant-Man and the Wasp make a sudden entrance, seemingly appearing out of nowhere.
    Ant-Man, (now using the name Giant-Man) explains by showing the team his new size-changing capsules.

Elsewhere, the eerie Space Phantom arrives on Earth, under the guise of a fragment of meteorite.
    He plans to destroy the Avengers so that his race can invade the planet.
    He takes the appearance of a passerby, sending him to Limbo.

Later, the Space Phantom (under the guise of the passerby) approaches the Avengers Mansion.
    He is spotted by the team and the Hulk goes to investigate.
    The man takes the Hulk off-guard and assumes his form, sending him to Limbo in place of the man.
    The Phantom (this time under the guise of the Hulk) returns to the team and taunts Iron Man and Thor,
    causing a miniature brawl and heightening the tensions in the team before leaving.
    Outside, he spots the man he replaced earlier trying to warn everybody and decides to cause more havoc as the Hulk.
    "The Hulk" is approached by his friend Rick Jones, who convinces him to escape before the police arrive.

Rick realises something is wrong with the way "Hulk" is acting and the Phantom reveals himself, before leaving.

He arrives at one of Tony Stark's operations plants and, still posing as the Hulk, destroys a new experimental anti-missile defence weapon.
    Iron Man is told the news and faces off against the "Hulk".
    Iron Man proves to be too much for him however and the Phantom flees by taking the form of a passing wasp,
    leaving a confused and dazed Hulk behind. Iron Man and the Hulk continue to battle.

Meanwhile, Rick Jones communicates with Giant-Man and explains the situation to the Wasp and him.

They catch up with Iron Man and Hulk and break up the fight.
    The Phantom, still in the form of a wasp, attacks the Wasp and flees to a nearby factory.
    After aiding the Wasp, Giant-Man is taken by surprise by the Space Phantom and replaced.
    This time the Wasp and the Hulk saw it happen and know this "Giant-Man" is fake.
    They battle and Iron Man eventually catches up only to be replaced.
    Hulk catches the Space Phantom in the act yet again and the newly-returned Giant-Man teams up with the Hulk to fight the fake "Iron Man".

Across town, it is revealed that the Wasp left to search for Thor.
    She finds him with the help of Dr. Donald Blake and the duo race back to the factory to assist the rest of the team.
    The Wasp shrinks down and damages the mechanism of the Iron Man suit and Thor creates a thunderstorm, causing the armour to rust.
    In a final desperate attempt to succeed, the Space Phantom decides to take Thor's form.
    Unfortunately for the Phantom his power only works on mortal beings and it backfires, sending him to Limbo instead.
    After the battle, the Hulk expresses his sadness at his recent treatment in the team and decides to quit.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Paul Reinman

so what is rick's status quo right now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so what is rick's status quo right now?
    Dead. He was executed by Hydra after being caught helping the Resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Dead. He was executed by Hydra after being caught helping the Resistance.
    !!!!!!!!! so what has been the Hulk's reaction to this?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    !!!!!!!!! so what has been the Hulk's reaction to this?
    Hulk/Banner was already dead at the time. I'm not sure if he's found out about it since his return or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Hulk/Banner was already dead at the time. I'm not sure if he's found out about it since his return or not.
    I'm guessing Banner knows by now.

Ewing has referenced Rick's death. I'm guessing we're gonna double back on it eventually. Currently Banner is staying away from his supporting cast because he knows they're being watched.

He hasn't visited Rick's grave because of this.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Carlos Pacheco!!!

Rick Jones, who knew Captain Mar-Vell like a son, has a chat with the son of Captain Mar-Vell.

From Avengers Forever #3 Feb 1999. Art by Carlos Pacheco https://www.facebook.com/MightyCon/p...267057/?type=3

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The photon-blasts were an important addition to Mar-Vell for me as a kid. It really rounded out his power-set.

I love having that Thanos War trade on my bookcase. I used to have most of the Life of Captain Marvel reprint comic, printed on baxter paper and no adds, but the Thanos War trade is even better. Love that epic scope that Starlin handled so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    so much so as a kid I felt Mar-vell was the third most powerful Marvel character behind Hulk and Thor. Until Marvel came out with those books that listed power levels that crushed me. Only press 15 tons come on man, how did he survive getting smacked by the Hulk or Namor? That's Spidey level, smh. I still claim that was an editorial mistake.
    I agree with your claim.

BANNED

Vell also had like a few power ups. One he got the negabands, with let him convert his psionic energy into physical powers. Then he got the mental upgrade by Eon which let him channel his existing strength extremely precisely. Then I think he got one with the watcher watching him get executed by his kree which made him physically better (and I think gave him photon blasts?)

Also, anyone think the whole "convert mental energy to physical" was sort of green lantern or gladiator like?

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Vell also had like a few power ups. One he got the negabands, with let him convert his psionic energy into physical powers. Then he got the mental upgrade by Eon which let him channel his existing strength extremely precisely. Then I think he got one with the watcher watching him get executed by his kree which made him physically better (and I think gave him photon blasts?)
    The MU Handbook said that the photon-blasts/photon trail were the result of Professor Savannah's photon-ray treatment, though in the actual comic the photon trail was said to be a side-effect of his encounter with Eon, and the photon blasts were never explained (Gerry Conway has him use them without explanation in issue #47).

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Also, anyone think the whole "convert mental energy to physical" was sort of green lantern or gladiator like?
    It had the potential to be like that, but it was underused. Nobody seemed to get a good grasp on Marv-Vell's power-set - several writers thought Mar-Vell was using his own Kree super-strength without augmentation, and seemed to think that was much greater than the handbook stated Kree strength to be; also the Supreme Intelligence also states he had kept the powers Ronan and Zarek had granted him (when they were pretending to be Zo), though it seems what he was referring to was just the ability to survive in space. Really, everybody seemed so confused as to where his powers were coming from and what they were.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Captain Marvel #13 Oct 2003
    "Pop"
    Captain Marvel saves the planet Illera

from the sinister Burstarr...

and then refuses to leave!

Written by PETER DAVID. Pencils by MICHAEL RYAN.

So ungrateful.

lmao

BANNED

Who? Captain Marvel or Burstarr? And for what?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Who? Captain Marvel or Burstarr? And for what?
    I'm talking about the story where it was stretching the idea of how "ungrateful" people are to be saved by oppressive people lol