Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rick Jones Captain Marvel Appreciation - "MARV!"

Captain Marvel is one of the Marvel Universe's original celestial super-heroes.
    Captain Marvel was re-introduced to fans in the pages of the hit '99 series Avengers Forever, which became an instant classic.
    From the pages of the hit Avengers Forever comes an instant classic: Captain Marvel.
    Son of the legendary Mar-Vell, Genis continues the legacy left by his Kree-warrior father.
    There's a catch, though, since Genis shares a body with Rick Jones, longtime Avengers ally.
    Only one of them can exist on Earth at any given moment. Hijinks ensue

Rick is trying to figure out what his life holds for him.
    He's trying to work things out with his estranged wife, Marlo, and trying to understand what it means to be a hero.

Genis, on the other hand, is trying to acclimate to Earth, Rick, and a world full of dangers.
    Will this unlikely duo be able to get along long enough to save the world??

BANNED

Talking Happy 15th anniversary Captain Marvel! 2000-2015

Out of all of the random books of late 90’s to early 00’s period of Marvel, Captain Marvel just might have been my favorite.
    Pairing the moody and immature Genis-Vell with the veteran Rick Jones in the form of Captain Marvel was inspired, and it felt in a lot of ways like some of the more fun, adventurous parts of David’s Incredible Hulk run (it helped that Jones and his wife Marlo were in the book).

This book was woefully underrated and deserved a bigger audience, and it once again showcased how talented David is at managing character relations and the organic bonds that form between them (Nega Bonds, not withstanding).
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 09-23-2015 at 10:26 AM.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Peter Allen David!

Thank you for all the wonderful marvel comics that you have written so far.
    I LOVED “The Death of Jean DeWolff”, your 12 year run on The Incredible Hulk, your run on X-Factor, Spider-Man 2099 and of course, Captain Marvel!

Have a GREAT day PAD!

LOVED this book. Sticking Rick Jones, Marvel's perennial side-kick as the most experiened of this duo was a stroke of genius. This was an extremely clever book, whose lack of success speaks very poorly to Marvel's fandom general taste and IQ. It had everything. Action, humor, clever and unexpected twists galore, and pretty ggod art through most of it's run. Wasting Genis-vell was a real waste of a good character, and I fell sorry that Marvel feels so intent in hammering Carol down our throats as the new Captain Marvel, just so they can finnaly have their Wonder Woman, because we probably will never have a chance of having this book (this duo) back.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    LOVED this book. Sticking Rick Jones, Marvel's perennial side-kick as the most experiened of this duo was a stroke of genius. This was an extremely clever book, whose lack of success speaks very poorly to Marvel's fandom general taste and IQ. It had everything. Action, humor, clever and unexpected twists galore, and pretty ggod art through most of it's run. Wasting Genis-vell was a real waste of a good character, and I fell sorry that Marvel feels so intent in hammering Carol down our throats as the new Captain Marvel, just so they can finnaly have their Wonder Woman, because we probably will never have a chance of having this book (this duo) back.

Peace
    Carol(as Captain Marvel) has had far more relaunch than Greer Grant(Tigra) solo series. I liked her better as Ms. Marvel. Everything that was done to Carol over the years has caused me to lose interest as they have made her into Feminist Military Personal....

I like the Rick Jones Captain Marvel series. Although it might have been cool to see him and Peter Parker working together moreso than Peter and Johnny Storm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Carol(as Captain Marvel) has had far more relaunch than Greer Grant(Tigra) solo series. I liked her better as Ms. Marvel. Everything that was done to Carol over the years has caused me to lose interest as they have made her into Feminist Military Personal....

I like the Rick Jones Captain Marvel series. Although it might have been cool to see him and Peter Parker working together moreso than Peter and Johnny Storm.
    Frank Cho begs to differ!

BANNED

Default Gimme Ms. Marvel's ULTIMATE potential...

BINARY!!!
    Much, much better!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Oh yeah!!! I so agree!!!
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 09-29-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Loved this title. One of my favorite titles of the 98-04 time period. There was a very fun issue I remember well when Genis-Veil visited Asgard (when it was hovering above NYC after Odin's death) and interacted with Thor and Balder. Genis-Veil was hilarious. Excellent characterization by Peter David.

Firstly - what's with the Captain Marvel (carol) hate?!?! She's been around for decades, has a direct connection to the Captain Marvel legacy and is the logical heir to the title, imo. Haters need to get over yourselves. :P

That said, I LOVED Genis/Cap Marvel!! I don't know if Pacheco came up with the design, but it was an amazingly awesome update! A few tweaks, (blue leggings as opposed to blue underpants) and an interestingly distinctive addition (the haircut and how his face when powered blended into his costume) made me a fan from the get-go!

After that, David crafted a great series with Rick as the anchor and great ChrissCross art!(though I thought he made Genis too muscley and that star emblem way too big) So much fun! It's a shame they ended up having to reboot it and made it a real downer with Genis becoming ... ugh, I don't want to get into it.

Extraordinary Member

I loved the concept, but I grew tired of PAD's crazy/evil/childish Genis from volume two. I actually grew to dislike Genis.

I was hoping he would be rejuvenated during New Thunderbolts, but that seemed like a mercy killing from Zemo.

Kurt's original concept, and depiction in Avengers Forever was just classic.

I wonder if they'll bring him back as Photon at some point. He could make a neat foe for the Ultimates.

I haven't read much with Genis, but he seemed pretty cool in Avengers Forever, if mysterious .

And he ended up romancing and kissing Songbird, the lucky guy .

I, for one, found the crazy Captain Marvel of the second series intriguing. It sure wasn't the same character that I enjoyed so much in the fisrt series, and a lot of what I loved was gone, but I found that what replaced it kept me on my toes. Eventually, PAD did start to steer Genis back to sanity (and might actually gone all the way back, eventually, had the series not been canceled.

As for me being a "hater", and needing to get over myself, for not liking Carol as Captain Marvel (intresting how we are labeled Hater for disliking a change that is popular - is it really? - but it's okay to "hate" changes that were not so well recieved), I'd have no problem if Carol decided to go by Col. Marvel, however a confident and independent woman who crafted her own identity over decades (as mentioned), an identity that still paied homage to her friend, and suddenly choses to demote herself and scrap the identity she created just so she could take over the I.D of said male friend (especially when there are other arguably as deserving as her to carry on the name), sorry that's not a logical story move. That's a marketing plot to push a female character into the position of Marvel's Wonder Woman. And I've often found that marketing plots make for terrible story decisions.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    As for me being a "hater", and needing to get over myself, for not liking Carol as Captain Marvel (intresting how we are labeled Hater for disliking a change that is popular - is it really? - but it's okay to "hate" changes that were not so well recieved), I'd have no problem if Carol decided to go by Col. Marvel, however a confident and independent woman who crafted her own identity over decades (as mentioned), an identity that still paied homage to her friend, and suddenly choses to demote herself and scrap the identity she created just so she could take over the I.D of said male friend (especially when there are other arguably as deserving as her to carry on the name), sorry that's not a logical story move. That's a marketing plot to push a female character into the position of Marvel's Wonder Woman. And I've often found that marketing plots make for terrible story decisions.

Peace
    I use the term "hater" because from my perspective, we are all fans and it's one thing to dislike when something bad happens to one of our beloved characters, but it's a different thing to disparage another character being given positive developments, when it's not really at the expense of another. (as far as I can see, but even so, that's not what you disapprove of) As far as marketing goes, isn't *all of it* marketing?? Especially the last ten years or so, Marvel has been 99% marketing strategy. It's funny that you see Carol as taking a "demotion" at the same time as she's being "pushed" to be Marvel's Wonder Woman. Seems like a promotion to me - I doubt there'd be a "Warbird" or "Binary" movie in the works right now. We're free to disagree on that point, but I meant no offense.