Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I use the term "hater" because from my perspective, we are all fans and it's one thing to dislike when something bad happens to one of our beloved characters, but it's a different thing to disparage another character being given positive developments, when it's not really at the expense of another. (as far as I can see, but even so, that's not what you disapprove of) As far as marketing goes, isn't *all of it* marketing?? Especially the last ten years or so, Marvel has been 99% marketing strategy. It's funny that you see Carol as taking a "demotion" at the same time as she's being "pushed" to be Marvel's Wonder Woman. Seems like a promotion to me - I doubt there'd be a "Warbird" or "Binary" movie in the works right now. We're free to disagree on that point, but I meant no offense.
    Yes I agree that Marvel has been 99% marketing in the last decade or so. I also think that Marvel has been pretty much 99% crap in the last decade or so. (DC has gone the same way, having pretty much the same effect on me). I've reduced drastically my reading habits due to this. IMHO, there is a HUGE difference between using marketing strategies to push foward a storyline and create a storyline to push foward a marketing strategy (by the way, the change to "crazy Marvel" that so many dislike here, also came from a marketing strategy sort of dictating story directions. IMHO, PAD did wonders with what was forced upon him, proving how great a writer he is). Personally, not a fan of the later. As for Carol's demotion, in-story demotion (a USAF Colonel becoming a Captain), out-story promotion (pushed for a more recognizable presence in the company, though I'll reserve an opinion on if that truly has worked untill after the movie - which I'm hoping will be good).
    Each one is entilted to his own opinion. We're cool.

Peace

Whats missing from the MCU....RICK JONES! He should be the connector between the solo franchise movies. Was super disappointed when they kept him out of the Hulk origin on the second go round. Would love it they gave him the Netflix treatment and showed that he's been around the edges of the heroes origins all along.
    Now casting...that could be tricky....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    LOVED this book. Sticking Rick Jones, Marvel's perennial side-kick as the most experiened of this duo was a stroke of genius. This was an extremely clever book, whose lack of success speaks very poorly to Marvel's fandom general taste and IQ. It had everything. Action, humor, clever and unexpected twists galore, and pretty ggod art through most of it's run. Wasting Genis-vell was a real waste of a good character, and I fell sorry that Marvel feels so intent in hammering Carol down our throats as the new Captain Marvel, just so they can finnaly have their Wonder Woman, because we probably will never have a chance of having this book (this duo) back.

Peace
    Wow. That statement is so accurate!
    To me, the action, humor, clever and unexpected twists galore makes Captain Marvel a great comicbook series.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 09-12-2016 at 05:28 AM.

BANNED

Being molecularly bonded to Captain Marvel, Rick Jones has a very “Quantum Leap”-style way of communicating with him, by seeing the Captain’s reflection in mirrors and reflective surfaces and what not.
    Loved this!
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 09-12-2016 at 05:27 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Loved this title. One of my favorite titles of the 98-04 time period. There was a very fun issue I remember well when Genis-Veil visited Asgard (when it was hovering above NYC after Odin's death) and interacted with Thor and Balder. Genis-Veil was hilarious. Excellent characterization by Peter David.
    So very true!

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Loved this title. One of my favorite titles of the 98-04 time period. There was a very fun issue I remember well when Genis-Veil visited Asgard (when it was hovering above NYC after Odin's death) and interacted with Thor and Balder. Genis-Veil was hilarious. Excellent characterization by Peter David.
    Anyone know what issue this might be?
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

BANNED

Cool Captain Marvel decides he is a god (or God)

...And where do gods live? Asgard, of course!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I LOVED Genis/Cap Marvel!! I don't know if Pacheco came up with the design, but it was an amazingly awesome update! A few tweaks, (blue leggings as opposed to blue underpants) and an interestingly distinctive addition (the haircut and how his face when powered blended into his costume) made me a fan from the get-go!

After that, David crafted a great series with Rick as the anchor and great ChrissCross art!(though I thought he made Genis too muscley and that star emblem way too big) So much fun! It's a shame they ended up having to reboot it and made it a real downer with Genis becoming ... ugh, I don't want to get into it.
    Indeed!
    From awful to AWESOME!
    It was great to see Rick Jones become the secret identity of Captain Marvel after being the secret identity of his late father Captain Mar-Vell!

BANNED

Default Captain Marvel and Songbird’s first kiss. [from Avengers Forever (1998) #7]

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I haven't read much with Genis, but he seemed pretty cool in Avengers Forever, if mysterious .

And he ended up romancing and kissing Songbird, the lucky guy .
    A great way to help her out.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 06-28-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I wonder if they'll bring him back as Photon at some point. He could make a neat foe for the Ultimates.
    Please. If he comes back, he won't use that Photon name anymore.
    Spectrum is way better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Please. If he comes back, he won't use that Photon name anymore.
    Yeah;
    Spidey and Nova can take care of Photon!

Spectrum is way better.
    Yes, he is;
    Spectrum gave the Avengers a run for their money!
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 08-05-2016 at 02:26 AM.

BANNED

Lightbulb

Spectrum is to me a GREAT adversary for Captain Marvel!
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 09-12-2016 at 06:07 AM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

YES! This was a fantastic book by PAD! I wish they would bring Genis back and pair him with Rick again. It was so neat! The interaction between all the characters was written very well. Marvel could easily bring him back.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I, for one, found the crazy Captain Marvel of the second series intriguing. It sure wasn't the same character that I enjoyed so much in the fisrt series, and a lot of what I loved was gone, but I found that what replaced it kept me on my toes. Eventually, PAD did start to steer Genis back to sanity (and might actually gone all the way back, eventually, had the series not been canceled.

As for me being a "hater", and needing to get over myself, for not liking Carol as Captain Marvel (intresting how we are labeled Hater for disliking a change that is popular - is it really? - but it's okay to "hate" changes that were not so well recieved), I'd have no problem if Carol decided to go by Col. Marvel, however a confident and independent woman who crafted her own identity over decades (as mentioned), an identity that still paied homage to her friend, and suddenly choses to demote herself and scrap the identity she created just so she could take over the I.D of said male friend (especially when there are other arguably as deserving as her to carry on the name), sorry that's not a logical story move. That's a marketing plot to push a female character into the position of Marvel's Wonder Woman. And I've often found that marketing plots make for terrible story decisions.

Peace
    So did I.
    For sure!
    Hear, hear!

BANNED

Love Captain Mar-Vell 's selflessness