Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Do You Find Yourself Hating The Avengers, Post-AvX?

I kinda do. I read it years later, like more recently, and as a die-hard X-Men fan I can't help but dislike them. Seems, to me, like there's still an Avengers vs. X-Men vibe out there...

Yes but not because of AvX... I have not enjoyed anything Hickman has written for them. So much for Earth's Mightiest Heroes (made up of gods and cosmic beings fighting in space). The end of AvX only did a few things, showed the hypocrisy of the Avengers and their obvious lack of care for those they are meant to consider friends, showed who's side Wolverine is on and showed the stupidity of all the other X-men (seriously, none of them questioned and they all blindly followed what the Phoenix were doing, when one did, Iceman, Cyclops dismissed it and it was washed under the bridge).

AvX was a mess of a story that was drawn well.

Do I think the Avengers were wrong and irresponsible in how they handled the events of AvX? Yes. Do I hate them? No.

AvX had its share of problem, but I don't think it had anything to do with the Avengers being unlikable. I think it had more to do with poor storytelling and an unrefined narrative. I think the biggest problem is that the Avengers basically provoked the Phoenix Five into the conflict. They threw the first punch. They were the aggressors. Not only that, they were the reason the Phoenix Force ended up in the Phoenix Five to begin with. And when two of them, Emma Frost and Namor, went rogue and attacked Wakanda, the Avengers blamed Cyclops. Namor was working with Black Panther shortly after as though nothing had happened. Marvel has some of the most talented writers in the business working for them. They have no excuses for leaving out those sorts of details.

And for that reason, I really can't hate the Avengers that much. Like any team of characters, they can be victims of poor writing.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

The Avengers aren't even really a set thing to me just Cap and Tony and a fluid roster outside of a couple other regulars I don't care about either way + Thor who is unhateable.

Cap isn't clever and acts and thinks in a predictable way so I don't like him but I also accept the character for what he is. Iron Man is more pragmatic, only non compromisers really conflict with him. So I can't even hate illuminati Tony even though I'm supposed to because Cap is so dull.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Yes but not because of AvX... I have not enjoyed anything Hickman has written for them. So much for Earth's Mightiest Heroes (made up of gods and cosmic beings fighting in space).
    New Avengers is good and likely the book he actually wanted to write and it shows. Avengers when taken on its own was just a mess.
    Last edited by Rotm; 09-24-2015 at 04:07 AM.

Meh. I'm just kind of indifferent to the Avengers these days. Like the Justice League, or honestly most of what Marvel puts out. Besides the X-books, I'm just not into much comic-wise.

Avengers Vs. X-Men.

Me, personally, I don't hate the Avengers.
    I love them, in fact -- when they're not interacting with the X-Men, y'know?
    When they're not, they're fun and heroic and bold. When they do get involved with the X-Men, its like their brains rewire and they become total idiots.

I still feel very passionately that AvX WOULD HAVE worked and would have worked REALLY well, if it hadn't been such a straight forward US vs THEM situation.
    All the paranoia and doubt was easily and readily planted since House of M to legitimize those feelings within the X-Men, but I wish wish WISH that they'd have joined together to fight a COMMON foe rather than one of their own -- who grew mad with power while possessed by a cosmic entity.

The REAL enemy should have been the SHI'AR.
    THEY should have been the ones tracking the Phoenix. THEY should have been the ones threatening Earth and insisting on "taking" Hope. Cable and Rachel should have been Hope's advisers -- not Spiderman.
    The Avengers should have been AVENGERS and been PROTECTING the X-Men. Then SWORD and Agent Brand could have been the ones to make the unfortunate hard choices, leading to further doubt/suspect the Avengers' motives, thus leading to the battle lines being drawn but in the end they would all come together to fend off the Shi'Ar and "release" the Phoenix.

Alas.... it was just grudge match city.
    But no....I don't hate the Avengers. I love the Avengers. Just not when they interact with my X-family. Then it gets personal.

Well, i dont know, except for the likes of Iron Man and Captain America, maybe hate is a too strong word for what i feel for them.

Don't know about hate exactly but I was never much of an Avengers fan in the first place. Always been X Men in the same way I always liked Batman more than Superman I like my heroes a bit damaged. As far as AvX I do hate how Cyclops is always the bad guy when if you look at it most of what the Avengers was doing is wrong. They tried and sometimes succseeded in forcefully kidnapping minors and attacked the X Men when they tried to defend said minors. They caused the Phoenix to split into five people and then when those people did things to benefit others they attacked them which later caused the death of Xavier. After everything they made Cyclops and the others who took in the phoenix force scapegoats for their own mistakes and forced minors to join Wolverine's school where they could be watched. Cyclops was locked up on charges which were a direct result of the Avengers actions.

Yet somehow we are supposed to believe Cyclops is some out of control terrorist and the Avengers are the good guys when all he did was try to protect mutant children.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotm View Post
    New Avengers is good and likely the book he actually wanted to write and it shows. Avengers when taken on its own was just a mess.
    It might have been, but I'll never know. I shouldn't have to read 2 books to understand 1. Bad writing from Hickman overall.

Mighty Member

The Avengers these days seem to be government stooges whose every thought and action are decided by SHIELD.

I really wish the comics had done something like the movies did with Captain America 2 - SHIELD ultimately brought down from the inside.

It would have been terrific if the Avengers - or at least some of them - ended up going into hiding alongside the X Men.
    Last edited by Ravin' Ray; 09-24-2015 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Deleted politics reference

They've ultimately marginalised Tony and Rogers influence and never really let Wanda be a main team charter member again, so I've gotten over it.

I don't hate them... but for me they have a really big double moral, so I lost a lot of respect for them... specially Captain America!!!

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Yes but not because of AvX... I have not enjoyed anything Hickman has written for them. So much for Earth's Mightiest Heroes (made up of gods and cosmic beings fighting in space). The end of AvX only did a few things, showed the hypocrisy of the Avengers and their obvious lack of care for those they are meant to consider friends, showed who's side Wolverine is on and showed the stupidity of all the other X-men (seriously, none of them questioned and they all blindly followed what the Phoenix were doing, when one did, Iceman, Cyclops dismissed it and it was washed under the bridge).

AvX was a mess of a story that was drawn well.
    Complete opposite, I loved the Avengers like I never did before AvX. Not because of the crossover but because I loved Hickman's take on the series, especially Infinity. It became the first time in my life that I actually followed anything outside of X-Men or Spiderman. I own the digital and collected hard editions (Infinity). It was like nothing else I read in a Marvel title. Star Wars with Superheroes.

AvX was trash. Don't get me wrong. I hated AvX and the basis for the story. I'm ashamed that I actually followed it. It was more out of habit than interest. The start was OK, the beach fight looked like something out of Looney Toons, follow through was ridiculous, the switch was nonsensical and the ending was a joke.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 09-24-2015 at 06:33 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

It might have been, but I'll never know. I shouldn't have to read 2 books to understand 1. Bad writing from Hickman overall.
    Touché. It was complex, but that's happens when one guy writes 2- 3 books (not in a Bendis way). It reminded me of when Claremont controlled the whole X-Men universe. But again, I thought it was pretty darn good.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

It mostly made me hate Captain America even more, so nothing really changed.

The rest of the Avengers just follow orders.