58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I Believe

14 24.14%
  • Let it Go, My Son

29 50.00%
  • Don't Care

15 25.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Marvel seems to be doing an anti Jaime Reyes so no. Maybe it woulda been better received if they overhaul rebooted Nova for ANAD.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Marvel seems to be doing an anti Jaime Reyes so no. Maybe it woulda been better received if they overhaul rebooted Nova for ANAD.
    While a lot of Rich Rider fans (me included) would love to see him return, Marvel is too busy pushing Sam Alexander. He is recognizable to the kids that watch the Spidey show and Marvel seems to be very invested in Sam right now. I don't know why we can't have both characters. While I don't mind Sam (I do think he's kind of whiny), he's no Rich Rider.

Quote Originally Posted by dvgravity View Post
    While a lot of Rich Rider fans (me included) would love to see him return, Marvel is too busy pushing Sam Alexander. He is recognizable to the kids that watch the Spidey show and Marvel seems to be very invested in Sam right now. I don't know why we can't have both characters. While I don't mind Sam (I do think he's kind of whiny), he's no Rich Rider.
    Just be glad that Sam in the comics is just kind of whiny and not the big jerk and insufferable kid that he is in the cartoon. It would've made losing Rich even more difficult to take .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Frankly, seeing this thread made me excited for half a second. And then reality kicked in. No, he won't be back any time soon.
    Well there is sort of a way he can come back but I don't think anyone will like it.

If Marvel 616 and Ultimate Marvel are merging (or whatever it's called) wouldn't that mean certain folks would be alive in Miles's universe and just pop back up?

Example Falcon's nephew Jim Wilson is dead in 616 universe what if he's alive in Miles's universe?

So would it be logical to guess Rich is also alive somewhere too?

The downside would be Rich's age. If Peter was a teen in Ultimate Marvel-wouldn't Rich along with his dead New Warriors pals be Peter's age as well?

ANd depending on Rich's age and time between Miles starting as Spider-Man-Rich might be near the time he got his powers.

that's a lot of if.

I don't think he'll be returning anytime soon, nor do I really care either way if he does (or does not).

I'm more interested in the Nova Corps as a organization (are there any others left, can it be rebuilt, etc. etc.) then I am the return of Nova-Jesus or whatever Rich is apparently supposed to be.

He'll be back in due time, but ANAD isn't it.

Kid Nova is getting a huge push by being added to the Avengers roster, Marvel probably feels that bringing back Rich would undermine that. Besides, I'd rather have him dead than in the crapfest that is current Marvel Cosmic.
    On ye olde CBR

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    He'll be back in due time, but ANAD isn't it.

Kid Nova is getting a huge push by being added to the Avengers roster, Marvel probably feels that bringing back Rich would undermine that. Besides, I'd rather have him dead than in the crapfest that is current Marvel Cosmic.
    Marvel has tried pushing him hard for FIVE YEARS now, and it just hasn't "worked". This isn't even the first time Sam joined the Avengers (I'm reminded of that awful "let me ask my mom for permission" moment....).

It's like "fetch" in the movie Mean Girls. Stop trying to make "fetch" happen. It's never going to happen.

I'm legitimately weirded out by how doggedly Marvel continues to push Sam, over and over and over, but the reception just isn't there. They had far, far more success with new heroes like Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales... even Spider-Gwen resonated stronger with readers. Richard Rider fans (of which I am admittedly one) have been pretty vocal for his return for many years now. Why they can't have both of them running around boggles my mind, especially when they have nearly eight different Spider-men and Spider-women running around in comics at this very moment.

I don't know. I really don't. I haven't really enjoyed Marvel cosmic in a long time, and there's many reasons for that, but the lack of Richard Rider definitely is the one choice that feels the most arbitrary and illogical to me.

No, they got their Hispanic youth hero now and will be keeping him around.
    Now they will team him up with Ms marvel and Spider Morales to make the foundations of the new Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    No, they got their Hispanic youth hero now and will be keeping him around.
    Now they will team him up with Ms marvel and Spider Morales to make the foundations of the new Young Avengers.
    But isn't Miles Morales half-Latino? Isn't he both a black and Latino youth hero? If Marvel wants a Hispanic hero, Miles fits the bill already.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    But isn't Miles Morales half-Latino? Isn't he both a black and Latino youth hero? If Marvel wants a Hispanic hero, Miles fits the bill already.
    But people look at his Black side. Not much mention of his Latino side...

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    But people look at his Black side. Not much mention of his Latino side...
    Well, that's on Marvel. If they did it like Sam and reminded us, bluntly, of this by having his family talking about tacos and haciendas more often than any family would, I think the point would stick harder. As is, Miles is just as hispanic as Sam.

... Though I'm not sure I like the idea of "race is more important than character" being a factor in using characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Marvel has tried pushing him hard for FIVE YEARS now, and it just hasn't "worked". This isn't even the first time Sam joined the Avengers (I'm reminded of that awful "let me ask my mom for permission" moment....).

It's like "fetch" in the movie Mean Girls. Stop trying to make "fetch" happen. It's never going to happen.

I'm legitimately weirded out by how doggedly Marvel continues to push Sam, over and over and over, but the reception just isn't there. They had far, far more success with new heroes like Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales... even Spider-Gwen resonated stronger with readers. Richard Rider fans (of which I am admittedly one) have been pretty vocal for his return for many years now. Why they can't have both of them running around boggles my mind, especially when they have nearly eight different Spider-men and Spider-women running around in comics at this very moment.

I don't know. I really don't. I haven't really enjoyed Marvel cosmic in a long time, and there's many reasons for that, but the lack of Richard Rider definitely is the one choice that feels the most arbitrary and illogical to me.
    Is Sam not "happened" yet Richard Rider never existed.

RR didn't sale. the amount of people who have read the Annihilation saga is dwarfed by the number of kids who watch Ultimate Spider-Man on tv.

And please don't compare Nova to spider-Men, neither of Sam or Richard are playing in the league if the spider books.

People whining constantly whinning on coment section of comic news website about Sam being Nova don't make him an unpopular character.

Richard rider is a cool character but don't be delusional about his actual potential.

Sam Alexander Disney infinity figure grossed more money than any Richard Rider by product.

BANNED

Rider is never coming back, like Mar-Vell.

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    Is Sam not "happened" yet Richard Rider never existed.
    Hrmmm. Do I tackle this or not... Okay, I'll take the bait.

RR didn't sale.
    RR's on-going series sold more copies than Sam's on-going ever did, and it did so without major Marvel marketing behind it, or putting him front and center in Spider-man and Avengers titles. Issue for issue, Richard's series outsold Sam's. That's not opinion; we have the data on that on record.

the amount of people who have read the Annihilation saga is dwarfed by the number of kids who watch Ultimate Spider-Man on tv.
    And the amount of people who saw The Avengers dwarfs the comics; what's your point? That doesn't stop us from having Sam Wilson as Captain America, Jane as Thor, or Cho as the new Hulk, despite none of that being remotely similar to the biggest superhero movie of all time. Comics, TV, and film aren't one entity; they can be their own thing.

Millions of kids watched the 90s Spider-man show too, but you don't see the comics turning Morbius the Living Vampire into some weird guy with suckers on his hands who drinks "plasma". The Fantasic Four cartoon once replaced The Human Torch with some dorky robot and millions of kids watched that; surprisingly, the robot didn't stick around.

And I could spend all day listing off all the difference between Teen Titans and Teen Titans GO and the comic versions. (In that regard, the animated version of Starfire was MUCH better than the New 52 version...). The point is, these are all totally different mediums with totally different viewers and readerships.

And please don't compare Nova to spider-Men, neither of Sam or Richard are playing in the league if the spider books.
    I'll compare him to whomever I want, thank you very much. You could use that excuse for any hero. "Don't compare Black Widow/Hawkeye/Thor/Luke Cage to Spider-man. They aren't even in the same league!" Who cares if they're in the same league or not? Not everyone's favorite hero is Spider-man, and that's why Marvel has been successful for nearly a decade using heroes that AREN'T Spider-man. They don't have to be Spider-man to be worth our time, money, and attention.

I think Richard Rider is just as "worthy" a hero for attention and marketing as Iron Man and Captain America.

People whining constantly whinning on coment section of comic news website about Sam being Nova don't make him an unpopular character.
    Er, well, I've noticed these comments for five years on every single comic website, game website, and even casual movie news sites. If it's just a "small segment", then they sure get around. I think the simpler answer is that, by and large, most long-time readers prefer the character that's been around for 40 years, and who had one of the best comic storylines in over a decade, over the new kid who hasn't really earned it, is extremely annoying on TV, and in general hasn't done much in half-a-decade to win old fans over. Again, the reception to the new Ms. Marvel versus the new Nova is night and day different. One is praised and recommended, even by fans of the original character. The other isn't.

I'm among them. Ms. Marvel is fantastic.

Richard rider is a cool character but don't be delusional about his actual potential.
    I'm not delusional. I read Annihilation. That's all the context anyone needs to see how much potential he had. But for good measure, his on-going series, War of Kings, and the Thanos Imperative all solidified it. DnA's run with him was like Miller on Daredevil or Alan Moore on Swamp Thing. It made me a full-on believer (along with many others).

Sam Alexander Disney infinity figure grossed more money than any Richard Rider by product.
    The fact he was BUNDLED WITH SPIDER-MAN has nothing to do with that? I mean, heck, you could bundle in The Grizzly (love that guy) and it would outsell 99% of all other merchandise because it was WITH SPIDER-MAN. The fact there is no Richard Rider version means you also can't do a direct comparison.

I mean, I could do the exact same thing and mention that Richard Rider's action figure outsold all others in the Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel Legends set, or that fans VOTED for the Richard Rider version over Sam in the Marvel Heroes game, making Richard the default and Sam the alternative (it was originally the opposite until fans requested Richard instead).

All of that doesn't even matter because, despite what you may think, I LIKE Sam. I just think Richard should come back TOO. They didn't toss Carol to the wolves when a new Ms. Marvel came around, we have a dozen Spider-men swinging around right now... why is it insane to ask for both to co-exist at once?