Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroes Reborn

Default Heroes Reborn

hello all. i did not see a discussion thread for this already opened up.

wanted to see what everyone thought of the return for heroes. the show premiered to a 2 hour return episode last night. some brand new "heroes," some familiar names and faces, and a very dark new setting.

this also follows the multi-part web series (dark matters), where audiences get to follow a special "evo" and see another familiar face in the mix.

did you like it? are you excited for the rest of the show?

i hope that they become more creative with their powers. there is a telekinetic, someone who can walk through walls, and a teleporter so far. plus video game girl. i would like to see some fresh abilities.

i do like that molly walker is back (and is being played by clint eastwood's daughter).
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-25-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

So so many mistakes made, it's like they never even learned from the first Heroes show.

Barely any of the new characters are likable, there are no stakes, the only new competent actors are all villains, walmart value batman enough said about that, the video game sequences that truly made me want to stop watching.

They even made Noah boring by giving him an irritating side kick.

I hope the show really sorts it shit out otherwise I'm going to drop it, on the plus side we don't have to suffer a decline in quality like the last show, this time we're starting at the bottom.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Pilot of season 1 we had some cool powers like flight, Jessica's alternate personality etc in this episode we didn't get anything decent.

We got flight from some dude we never see who outside the great wall of china with a weight on his wrist, the con man has telekinesis, i dont even know what video game girls power is meant to be, the sword seems to be the source of the power, the teleporting power is cool, oh we had that woman who could turn stuff to gold. Does Walmart value batman even have a power? I didn't notice one. His nephew can phase, the previous walmart value batman had super strength i think? Everyone else who had powers died the dude with super speed, the guy with fire etc

Teleporting has been the only interesting power and this is over 2 episodes so they need to up their game.

BANNED

What I saw of it was probably better than any Heroes episode I ever saw. It was definitely a better start than the terribly unfocused first episode of the original series. Color be surprise, but the first episode was good...didn't think that would happen.

The video game but was terrible, or at least it looked terrible. I'm not really sure what was going on with that either because it had already been on for a bit by the time I got home. Were those her powers that kelt that guy watch her like a video game, or did he have some remote viewing power that shows up like a video game? I thought it was the latter, because the bit with the game thing I has didn't even start with the girl there, but then when she used her powers later there was a pixel effect.

This was a really mixed bag. I liked El Vengador (Sp) and our teleporter, but was not crazy about Katana Girl at all. The whole conspiracy angle is old hat for Heroes, but it's not really snagging me this time.
    Frankly, I think the biggest hurdle this show is going to face is... well, it's nothing special anymore. This pilot wasn't bad but compared to the Flash? It was positively dull. The characters in Agents of SHIELD are far more likable. Arrow has soap opera, but it's more bad ass. Gotham has Penguin. Heck, Supergirl's trailers held my attention more than this pilot did.

I could be wrong and this could really wow and dazzle in a few episodes, but this came across as 'average' when other options are at 'good' to 'awesome!'
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Mighty Member

I felt that the teenager with the teleporting power whines too much

The second the Katana Girl storyline went all digital, I thought to myself, "This show will not last".

I still like Bennett and his motivations. I'm not very impressed with anything else yet, but I will give it time.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    The second the Katana Girl storyline went all digital, I thought to myself, "This show will not last".

I still like Bennett and his motivations. I'm not very impressed with anything else yet, but I will give it time.
    Isn't the returning show slated for one season only anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Isn't the returning show slated for one season only anyway?
    I just looked it up. Indeed, it is a 13 episode miniseries.

I didn't know that. I had assumed it was ongoing.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Ok, start. Only the video game scenes really rubbed me the wrong way. I really hope they stop asking questions and starts giving some answers soon though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bluekey View Post
    Ok, start. Only the video game scenes really rubbed me the wrong way. I really hope they stop asking questions and starts giving some answers soon though.
    The whole premise, or at least what I gathered, from the original show was to "ask questions". The beginning and ending narrative of almost every episode posed a question of morality; "what would you do?"

Each episode seemed to, also, continue the mystery "in-universe".

Did you hope for this to change?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post

Pretty much agree

But I hated it all, I mean Noah is still good but him not being dead is hilarious if Rene or Remy or whatever wanted him dead then there was zero reason to not just let the woman shoot him dead in the first place. Or when he came up to kill him why try to choke Noah, shoot him.

Then we got the parents where the black wife is potrayed as dumb, violent and animalistic shoot first ask questions later and the white husband as the brains of the operation and the calm rationale one. Stereotype must.

The kid cant act. Also who wants high school drama.

The Katana Girl lame.

And ..... Oh the Latino in LA storyline okay not bad I liked it.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Default Episodes 1 & 2 "Brave New World, Odessa"

I thought it was a pretty good start to the first episode and it was nice to see some familiar faces show up throughout. I thought there were a couple interesting new additions to the cast I especially enjoyed Henry Zebrowski's character. I wasn't feeling the video game animation scenes though. I had missed most of seasons 3 and 4 but felt this was good enough as a jumping on point.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Spectacular Member

I'll keep watching.

Bad points:

- CG way overused. Ok, you couldn't go to real Tokyo, show probably has a smaller budget. But CG butterfly, CG church? You couldn't find a real butterfly, or build a fake church front on a lot? I've always had a bad reaction to obvious cg. Which brings me to...

- katana girl game. They did a decent rendition of a game with decent graphics, which of course looks incredibly crappy on tv compared to, you know, real things on tv, which is itself a better representation of reality. This is never a good idea.

- katana girl plausibility. Sometimes I wonder if anyone who writes for film or tv has ever seen a computer before. I guess it's possible that that this all has a believable explanation, but I'm not holding my breath.

- not thinking through powers. That scene with Bennett and the Haitian was awful. It reminded me of Peter petrelli struggling to open a vault door when he could walk through walls, and other dumb things that got steadily worse in the old series.

- Visually, the first episode/hour was not well directed. At some point it felt like the episode turned into shots of people standing still and talking directly to the camera.

Good parts:
    - 2nd episode was more enjoyable in general
    - no mention of family honor. (Sometimes I wonder if anyone who writes for film or tv has ever met an Asian person -- I guess so!)
    - I somehow still cared about the katana girl story, despite the lameness of it all.
    - Not much retreading of old stories, which I was worried about. They really should have done this with the first run -- a new cast every volume, with occasional reappearances of some of the original cast.

Compared to the other five "volumes", so far this is in the upper half. First season was great, and I thought Fugitives was very underrated. The other three volumes set a pretty low bar.

I liked it, liked seeing familiar faces and new heroes. I stopped watching about mid season 3, but I was able to follow this without problem. It seems to be tapping into familiar territory (heroes from across the world who eventually will come together to prevent a predicted disaster)
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”