Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Lost momentum: Secret Wars & X-Men

Does anyone understand Marvel's strategy with Hickman's Secret Wars and Bendis' X-Men books? I was reading these regularly right up until the start of summer, and then both books got delayed endlessly. I can't even remember where they left off anymore. And now this "All New" launch is starting next week, and we haven't even seen the end of these other stories. Man, Marvel spends more energy planning events than executing them. We should be hyping up the end of Bendis' X-Men run, and the thrilling Secret Wars. I feel like they aren't even on the schedule anymore. FWIW, I love both runs. Does anyone know if they ever plan to complete those stories? or did they just get cancelled. So weird.

Quote Originally Posted by jwckauman View Post
    Does anyone understand Marvel's strategy with Hickman's Secret Wars and Bendis' X-Men books? I was reading these regularly right up until the start of summer, and then both books got delayed endlessly. I can't even remember where they left off anymore. And now this "All New" launch is starting next week, and we haven't even seen the end of these other stories. Man, Marvel spends more energy planning events than executing them. We should be hyping up the end of Bendis' X-Men run, and the thrilling Secret Wars. I feel like they aren't even on the schedule anymore. FWIW, I love both runs. Does anyone know if they ever plan to complete those stories? or did they just get cancelled. So weird.
    Secret Wars' next issue is gonna be out October 7th and it'll run until December if things go as now planned and there aren't any delays. Uncanny X-Men 600 has been pushed back again and I believe is supposed to be out in November now. Honestly it's completely ridiculous especially with X-Men considering it's ready to ship, they just aren't.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I'm starting to think X-men 600 is being pushed back to not spoil Cyclops status before Secret Wars ends and the new X-books begin. I'm just guessing but it may pertain to what happens to Cyke and why Beast is with the Inhumans, and they do not want to give things away to early. Just a guess.

They've blatantly thrown all regular X-books into some trash can in the corner and don't care if some people are buying nothing, waiting for something we're interested in reading to come back some time around/after Christmas, if they feel like it.

Marvel went from the majority of my pull list to the least, like magic. All I'm reading is X-Men 92. Dropped Inferno.

Suddenly for the first time ever I'm reading more DC and Image than Marvel. As a lifelong (since early 2000s ish) X-Men/Marvel fanboy this has never happened to me. There's been some dark periods but this is wacky. They've seriously just stopped publishing. Its been months.
    Psylocke · Magneto · Archangel / Angel · X-23 · O5
    April 2012 Posts: 351 RIP me

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

"Delayed endlessly?" It's only been 5 weeks since the last Secret Wars issue. Patience. Considering we got two issues in May, we're still pretty much ahead of the game (since the standard is monthly).

But yeah, I think they should have released UXM 600 already. Don't really see the point of delaying it.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Jesus, is this a real question? Uh, no - Marvel is just going to not bother publishing the rest of Secret Wars and never publish X-Men #600. Because that makes total sense.

Yes, delays can be an annoyance. But unless you're a new comics reader, you know that delays are a regular, if unfortunate, occurrence. It sucks but it's not that hard to deal with. If you don't remember where a previous issue left off...reread it.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I'm starting to think X-men 600 is being pushed back to not spoil Cyclops status before Secret Wars ends and the new X-books begin. I'm just guessing but it may pertain to what happens to Cyke and why Beast is with the Inhumans, and they do not want to give things away to early. Just a guess.
    Nah, the story was intended to be the anniversary/wrap-up issue before Secret Wars started. It was written and finished last spring intended for release in May/June. And even since it's 5 month delay, the page amount has been lessened so content is seemingly gone. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no content leading into Secret Wars nevermind the aftermath. They are going to drag out just happened between the X-Men and the Inhumans as long as possible.

Secret Wars proper has been delayed, sure. Secret Wars the event has been ongoing from May until this week, and it still has some issues coming out after ANAD Marvel launches. So yeah, the main book is delayed, but the momentum of the event as a whole hasn't stopped.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I wonder if anyone else here remembers Civil War or the Ultimates second volume

I can understand not liking delays. No one does. But really that's pretty much what almost always happens in big events for both marvel and dc. Not excusing it per say but at this point I pretty much expect it.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I can understand not liking delays. No one does. But really that's pretty much what almost always happens in big events for both marvel and dc. Not excusing it per say but at this point I pretty much expect it.
    The fact it's so prevalent just makes that much more absurd.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

You aren't alone in your complaint, but I don't really understand it. Is this the only thing you are reading? Is it an instant gratification thing? Is it the multi-part story format? How do people complaining about this cope with TV seasons, movies, or trilogies of books? I can't remember when I read GRR Martin's last book, but it certainly hasn't killed my interest or the momentum of his story for me. And yes, I know there are fans who constantly complain about the lateness of his book, but I don't get them either. If the book is good, which generally, I find Secret Wars, momentum isn't lost by waiting. Often, quite the opposite. Anticipation of awesomeness builds.

I'm sure some of it has to do with too much information about the comic industry, as we didn't have release date information when I was a kid buying books off the rack at the local convenience store. I expected an issue in some undetermined future, of course, but didn't worry about it until it showed up. And that's pretty much what I do now. I just wait until it shows up in my pull box.

I don't know. I just get the feeling that some folks are living at their LCBS and doing nothing until the next Secret Wars shows up. I have three rooms where every wall is covered by books, alot of it unread. I wish it looked this neat.

I have a couple of stacks of unread comics threatening to fall over onto my keyboard, that look like this:

As well as 20 plus long boxes of old comics that I need to organize and would love to read again.

I have 40 books checked out from the library, including four acclaimed comic book series I've never read before.

I have 125+ movies in my Netflix queue and 85% of my DVR filled and my movie collection looks something like this:

A hallway is yet another wall for shelves. ; p

And then there's real life and family and friends and a gazillion projects on my to do list. I've just got too much going on to be bothered by the release date of a comic.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

i enjoyed your pics Reviresco. you are more organized than me. i have piles of books and comics laying around, waiting to be sorted or read...or both. its to the point where i'm putting furniture in storage to make room for more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Nah, the story was intended to be the anniversary/wrap-up issue before Secret Wars started. It was written and finished last spring intended for release in May/June. And even since it's 5 month delay, the page amount has been lessened so content is seemingly gone. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no content leading into Secret Wars nevermind the aftermath. They are going to drag out just happened between the X-Men and the Inhumans as long as possible.
    Bendis confirmed there was no page reduction and that the book is pretty much the same it was on May.

Next week All New All Different Marvel gets off and will continue to grow each week. I am sure
    Uncanny X-Men will be of significance, but with the fun just around the corner, I don't really care
    now when Uncanny X-men #600 comes out (I will just pick it up when it does and enjoy).