Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm surprised you haven't come across the theory before, but - despite there being no evidence of it onscreen - it's long been an urban legend that Velma was secretly a lesbian in the original Scooby Doo cartoons, in much the same way Shaggy/Scooby were supposedly potheads and Fred and Daphne were supposedly doing the nasty when they disappear offscreen to "investigate" something - all most likely just mischievous readings of the work by adult fans over the years who argued that none of this could be shown onscreen because of the sensibilities of the times and the fact that it was a kids' cartoon show.
    Last edited by Brigonos Chomhgaill; 10-02-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Velma's lesbo thing was NEVER an official fact. Same with Shaggy being a stoner. ALL of that was just jokes, so it's frustrating that some people see it as fact.

Mighty Member

Maybe in other incarnations, she wasn't. But they certainly implied in this version that she could have attraction to women as well as men. Maybe even her attempts to force a relationship with Shaggy could be seen in a new light if she was a lesbian.

Also, here's an interview with the showrunner that discusses the show, and even some plans they had for a season three. Spoilers for those that haven't finished it, of course.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Velma's lesbo thing was NEVER an official fact. Same with Shaggy being a stoner. ALL of that was just jokes, so it's frustrating that some people see it as fact.
    I think most people don't care and file it away under "it doesn't do any harm."

I agree with you that Velma is not a lesbian in the original show, as no-one had a sexual orientation in the original Scooby series, not even Fred and Daphne - their being in a relationship was a later addition to the mythos. However, Velma is a lesbian by the end of Mystery Inc, and because Mystery Inc is a prequel despite being set in the present while the original series is set in the 1960s (timey-wimey stuff), it actually retroactively makes Velma a canon lesbian in the original show.

I saw a few episodes, which, from my vantage point, came off as darned bizarre. One featured some guy selling (disgusting) squid ice cream or some such.. bleh.. I wasn't sure whether to take this as a satire of the show or what. it seemed like there were always a bunch of side-plots going on that I couldn't quite grasp.

Well to be fair, it is still Scooby Doo. I remember when I told others about this, people would be really surprised at the thought of a "darker" Scooby Doo show.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigonos Chomhgaill View Post
    I think most people don't care and file it away under "it doesn't do any harm."

I agree with you that Velma is not a lesbian in the original show, as no-one had a sexual orientation in the original Scooby series, not even Fred and Daphne - their being in a relationship was a later addition to the mythos. However, Velma is a lesbian by the end of Mystery Inc, and because Mystery Inc is a prequel despite being set in the present while the original series is set in the 1960s (timey-wimey stuff), it actually retroactively makes Velma a canon lesbian in the original show.
    I admit I didn't catch all of Inc, but I watched a decent sized chunk, when at the end did it make Velma lesbian?

Extraordinary Member

All of you were right.

The creators officially stated by the end that Velma was a lesbian in Mystery Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    All of you were right.

The creators officially stated by the end that Velma was a lesbian in Mystery Inc.
    I'm fine with this, but God I hope people don't start playing this off as if every version of Velma is lesbian.

Incredible Member

Oh man, I loved this show, never thought I woud see plot and character development on a Scooby Doo series, or a Scooby with personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm fine with this, but God I hope people don't start playing this off as if every version of Velma is lesbian.
    Well, James Gunn supported that idea

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brigonos Chomhgaill View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't come across the theory before, but - despite there being no evidence of it onscreen - it's long been an urban legend that Velma was secretly a lesbian in the original Scooby Doo cartoons, in much the same way Shaggy/Scooby were supposedly potheads and Fred and Daphne were supposedly doing the nasty when they disappear offscreen to "investigate" something - all most likely just mischievous readings of the work by adult fans over the years who argued that none of this could be shown onscreen because of the sensibilities of the times and the fact that it was a kids' cartoon show.
    Thee was an internet forum I was on awhile back where they had a couple of writers that worked on the GI Joe cartoon. I was impressed that they put so much thought into all of the various characters and the writers did indeed talk about adult themes/characters/personalities on the show even if they couldn't show it. Off the top of my head, different cobra characters had mental illnesses, Gung-Ho was gay, the various unnamed background characters who appeared also had their own personalities and storylines going on behind the scenes.

I'm guessing that it's inevitable that adult writers think of these things, even when working on children's shows. You're going to want to flesh out your characters as much as you can even if you can't show everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Oh man, I loved this show, never thought I woud see plot and character development on a Scooby Doo series, or a Scooby with personality.

Well, James Gunn supported that idea
    He's as entitled to his wrong opinion as anyone else.

Somebody didn't tell the Scoobynatural writers when Velma was all over Sam Winchester .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Somebody didn't tell the Scoobynatural writers when Velma was all over Sam Winchester .
    A lot of Velma's are at least bi. Velma has had a boyfriend in the DTV series as well

Curiously enough, the one source where you might expect an openly gay Velma, the recently release YA Daphne and Velma book, established Velma as interested in Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    A lot of Velma's are at least bi. Velma has had a boyfriend in the DTV series as well

Curiously enough, the one source where you might expect an openly gay Velma, the recently release YA Daphne and Velma book, established Velma as interested in Fred.
    As a Shapne shipper I am all for Velma x Fred.