Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

-Black Canary- It's pretty decent with an interesting angle for the character though I'm not sure that I'm going to stick with it. Lot's of people like it but it's starting to wear thin with me for some reason.

-Doctor Fate- This is the best Levitz book in a good long time. It's a very character driven book and I like the world building that it's doing as well. The character work here is also really good.

-Cyborg- Great book with the best take on the character since the reboot started. I'm really loving this one a lot.

-Teen Titans (Will Pfeifer)- Boring as h#**. I thought things couldn't get any worse for this franchise but it did. Pfeiffer's work here is completely by the numbers and just plain dull.

Haven't read the following at all because of lack of interest. The only thing I can say about it is that Tynion, who writers Constantine Hellblazer has been very hit and miss with regard to his overall work with DC. Put him on a book that he's interested in or pair him on writing duties with Scott Snyder and he does okay but put him on one that he has no interest in and it becomes a mess pretty quickly.

Green Arrow (since Ben Percy took over)
    Constantine The Hellblazer
    Martian Manhunter

I'd also recommend Grayson, Midnighter and Gotham Academy
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-26-2015 at 01:10 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Black Canary--one of the best books out right now with a serious indie vibe.
    Doctor Fate--fantastic art! The writing is alright, could be better but could be a lot worse.
    Cyborg--it's good but not good enough to remain on my pull.
    Green Arrow (since Ben Percy took over)--I'm actually enjoying the current run.
    Teen Titans (Will Pfeifer)--again, I'm enjoying it.
    Constantine The Hellblazer--I like it but like Cyborg, it's one that isn't good enough for me to keep pulling.
    Martian Manhunter--I've really liked it so far.

I would also recommend Midnighter, We Are Robin, and Gotham Academy.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Thanks for the responses thus far!

I bought a bunch of #1s to try a few of em out. Based solely on those issues I think Martian Manhunter was the strongest. I kinda like the moody atmosphere and light mystery to it.
    Trust me: If you liked the first issue of MM, you need to stick with the series because it only gets better. I didn't particularly like the first two issues-- I thought there were some good ideas, but overall, I found them kinda bland-- but the series upped its game with issue three and then got even better for issue four. It felt very conventional for the first two issues, but became a wild ride in issue three. I'm hoping it never lets up.

I would recommend Martian Manhunter and Cyborg

You really need to understand the back story of the Omega Men and anything involving the Vega system to enjoy the new series. IMHO, DC has the potential create a space opera platform and translate it to film. Omega Men could be a big part of that.

Always Rakzo

Ah, these threads are always fun. Well, let's see:

Black Canary: Honestly, this is a must own. An action-packed story full of interesting moments that are concentrated on Dinah's personal journey. I'm interested the most though about how Brenden Fletcher is able to change the style from book to book, the tone from here is not the same you can find in either Batgirl or Gotham Academy, it follows its own path and that makes me appreciate it even more.

Doctor Fate: Levitz' best work ever, you might think that this is not saying a lot but is actually a pretty good book. Plot progression is slow, it really takes is time but it certainly compensates it with a really strong character work and dynamics that make you invested in the whole world.

Cyborg: Clunky, that's the only way I can describe it. David Walker is trying to give Vic his own voice but sadly is not doing a great job at making him particularly interesting, the characterization is decent at best. Worst of all though, the writing itself is really heavyhanded with characters continually repeating the same words to get to the point and talking in unnatural ways.

Green Arrow: You know what I just said about Cyborg? Well, Green Arrow not only commits all of those mistakes but it also actually believes it's being SMART about it. Percy is doing one of the worst works I've ever seen and is something that I personally detest, he makes his narration unnecessarily overworked and unnatural to try to sound profound and he fails every. Single. TIME! He doesn't sound enlightened or anything, he sounds simply stupid.

Teen Titans: Better than Lobdell's work without a doubt but still not quite there. The dialogue is sharp and the stories are interesting but Pfeifer sometimes gets some of the characters wrong, especially if he doesn't know anything about them.

Constantine: The Hellblazer
    : I'm probably going to talk a bit deeper about this soon but the single question is: Does anyone actually LOVES this?

Martian Manhunter
    : Bizarre, compelling and pretentious as hell, it sometimes feels forced when it tries to push its own style but I suppose that it can fit for the kind of character it's working on.

Always Rakzo

Oh right, forgot to talk about Omega Men.

Omega Men, Omega Men, what can I do with Omega Men?

A quite compelling story full of creative ideas and pretty inventive storytelling that sadly fails a lot of times in terms of execution.

The characters are solid enough but if you want to read this for Kyle Rayner, you better look elsewhere. Here he's portrayed completely insecure of himself and gullible, making him feel completely overwhelmed by the situation and the rest of the cast. This is not only a characterization problem mind you, since Kyle has overcome all those things a long time ago, but is also a writing problem due that he obviously was given this portrayal in particular just because someone needed to fill this role.

And of course, there are some of Tom King's ticks like the necessity to repeat words and phrases to beat the idea until it hits the ground.

"I am so very vain"

Yeah, because that's totally the way how someone would talk about themselves, especially three. Frikking. TIMES. Is not contrived or unnatural at all.

Overall, I would say that is definitely an interesting experience but just take it as that.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Black Canary: If you like non-traditional Superheroes and/or the new Batgirl, you will like this
    Doctor Fate: Most people loathe the art
    Cyborg: Actually a really solid series with good art and writing but many people are not sold on it
    Green Arrow (since Ben Percy took over): People are ambivalent to disappointed
    Teen Titans (Will Pfeifer): I enjoy it but it is not a home run by any means
    Constantine The Hellblazer: It's ok
    Martian Manhunter: It too is alright.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Im in the midst of potential adding some additional DC titles to my reading list and am after CBR members general thoughts on the following:

Black Canary
    Doctor Fate
    Cyborg
    Green Arrow (since Ben Percy took over)
    Teen Titans (Will Pfeifer)
    Constantine The Hellblazer
    Martian Manhunter

Am currently two issues into Omega Men. Not sure i get what the fuss is about. But then ive never been particularly attached to Kyle Rayner...

thanks y'all!
    As much as I enjoy the tv show, I think the current run of Green Arrow is trying too hard to look like it. GA was one of the few things I really like about the new52.

Personally, Im enjoying Dr. Fate, Black Canary and Constantine as well, they seem to have their individual tones to them, with a slight quirkiness to them.

Cyborg and Martian Manhunter are good reads but have me scratching my head (in tandem with a few other books) as to how many alien invasions of Earth are occurring at one time in the DC universe.

I'm new to Teen Titans so I don't have a decent opinion at the moment.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Black Canary--interesting, the new 52 went a long way to almost destroying Canary. Fletcher is working to bring her back, not a traditional hero book...but interesting.
    Cyborg--far better than I expected it to be. Helps that Reis is drawing. Very good.
    Teen Titans (Will Pfeifer)--Pfeifer was given a turd to work with and his attempts to polish it haven't done much. Not even sure why I still pick this up.
    Martian Manhunter--fan freaking tastic! Along with Grayson and Omega Men, my top three favorite DC books right now. Old school, sci-fi, alien invasion, suspense story telling with some mind blowingly great art.

Omega Men--Just different. I was a fan of Kyle's series, but haven't bought anything GL in a long long time (since Hal took back over) but this book is just something different. Not like anything I would expect from DC or Marvel at all really.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Doctor Fate is a solid read that feels authentic, not sure I'm too interested in sticking with it but I wouldn't advise against giving it a go.

Cyborg is okay but not for me, just generic superhero stuff- which is fine but not really my vibe.

Hellblazer is surpringly solid even if it's a soft take on John.

I wanted to read Black Canary since I love the character but it felt safe, like it wanted to be more.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-28-2015 at 04:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

The current John Constantine book has been pretty sharp.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)