Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on the following titles:

Im in the midst of potential adding some additional DC titles to my reading list and am after CBR members general thoughts on the following:

Black Canary
    Doctor Fate
    Cyborg
    Green Arrow (since Ben Percy took over)
    Teen Titans (Will Pfeifer)
    Constantine The Hellblazer
    Martian Manhunter

Am currently two issues into Omega Men. Not sure i get what the fuss is about. But then ive never been particularly attached to Kyle Rayner...

thanks y'all!

Extraordinary Member

I've only read the 8 page stories from the Convergence backups and the #1 issues of the following, but I will say that the 8 page stories are a very good indicator of how they start off:
    Black Canary
    Doctor Fate
    Cyborg
    Green Arrow

I think they were all fine, I'm personally sticking with Cyborg but I'd read any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Im in the midst of potential adding some additional DC titles to my reading list and am after CBR members general thoughts on the following:

Black Canary
    Doctor Fate
    Cyborg
    Martian Manhunter

Am currently two issues into Omega Men. Not sure i get what the fuss is about. But then ive never been particularly attached to Kyle Rayner...

thanks y'all!
    If you like Batgirl, you'll like Black Canary. However, I have seen on the forums that some people still like Black Canary even if they don't care for Batgirl.
    Just a word of caution- Don't go into it expecting a traditional superhero comic.

As for Omega Men, I've never really been a Kyle fan. Actually, I don't think I really have a preference on Green Lanterns. They're all the same to me.
    However, I think the reason I like Omega Men is because it's more sci-fi than superhero. Something you'd expect in 2000 AD and not in a Big 2 comic.

Only two from that list I'm buying are Black Canary and Doctor Fate. If you go with Doctor Fate, keep in mind that it's Paul Levitz who's writing it, and his pace for developing the story is a bit lethargic to some. (Me, I don't mind it at all at present.)

Tried Percy's Green Arrow, but the first arc came off as illogical and idiotic to me. I stopped buying it after #43.

Also not buying Constantine: The Hellblazer since James Tynion is one of the writers and I'm not fond of his stuff.

Ok.

Black Canary: A lot like Batgirl. I dont like it, but that's personal taste. It's pretty popular.
    Doctor Fate: Fun. Character driven, but very light. I like it.
    Cyborg: Really cool. Awesome art. Very nice take on the character.
    Green Arrow: Decent. Follows Lemire's run, which is good. I feel it could be a lot better tho.
    Teen Titans: Awful. I feel like it doesnt go anywhere and i don't like Kenneth Rocafort.
    Constantine The Hellblazer: I don't know. Never read it.
    Martian Manhunter: Fantastic. One of my new favorites. Great writing, great ideas, great art.

Of the new books i also really like:

- Robin, son of Batman: It mught be bc I'm a huge Damian fan. It's fun, well written and i love Gleason's art.
    - Midnighter: Very dark and entertaining.

Hope it helps.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Black Canary
    Doctor Fate
    Cyborg
    Martian Manhunter

thanks y'all!
    Canary is a lot of fun. Very different type of story from what we've seen with her, but it's still very much Dinah, with strong dialogue, great action sequences, and solid pacing. It reads thin, but it's worth it. Honestly, this is the niche Canary should have been in decades ago, it fits her so well.

Read the first couple issues of Fate, and it's solid. I like the story, the main character is (potentially) interesting, and the art is good in that indie-type way that DC and Marvel seem intent on ripping off lately. But it doesnt grab me enough to be a monthly buy; I'll trade wait it if I read it at all. But it's solid enough and is worth looking into, if only for an issue.

Cyborg has been alright. At the moment there are more questions than answers hanging in the title, which makes it difficult to tell if the payoff will be worthwhile. Im enjoying it enough to stick around for the first arc, but whether I stay with the book afterwards will depend on the finale. This is either the beginning of a grand and expansive new mythology for Vic Stone, or a throwaway run that will be written off as nothing more than good intentions. But if you're interested in Cyborg, either as a character or as a concept, check it out. It's certainly not bad.

Arrow's been okay. Not great. Not good enough for me personally to stick with. The art is really solid, the dialogue isnt bad and the concepts are just off kilter enough to have my attention. There's also a slight return to the social commentary, politico subject matter of years past, which I enjoy. But the plot had some major chinks and the climatic ending showdown wasn't all that climatic. Might be worth an issue. Beyond that? Eh......

Titans has been infinitely better under Pfiefer than it was under Lobdell. That said, I'd save my money and wait for Abnett's Titans Hunt series, which starts soon. The current title is okay, and it makes good use of social media and the Titans act more like kids than they have in a while, but it lacks a certain zing. Im inclined to think its less the writer, and more the characters he's using. I think I might just be fed up with the classic Titans lineup.

Havent read the rest, though I hear good things about Martian Manhunter.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Black Canary
    Like the character but can't stand the art. I just can't get past the art, so it's no go for me.

Doctor Fate
    Never read it because I don't like the character

Cyborg
    Really good book. Best on this list. Story and art are fantastic

Never cared for Oliver, so I don't buy or read anything GA. If it was Connor, that would be a different story.

Still stinks

Never understood the fascination the fans have of this character. Pass

Martian Manhunter
    Love the character, but it's only been okay, nothing great. The New 52 version seems to be more grim while the old version was more heart and caring. He's like the mirror version of the old MM
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Constantine The Hellblazer - Very Good
    Black Canary - Good
    Cyborg - Have only read #1. It was pretty good.

Doctor Fate - Really enjoyed #1 but after 2 and 3 have dropped.
    Green Arrow - Read 41 thru 44. Dropped it. It was not good.
    Teen Titans - Read the first 6. Not good.
    Martian Manhunter - dropped after 3
    Omega Men - dropped after 3

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Doctor Fate
    Cyborg
    Martian Manhunter
    Just the ones I've stuck with:

Dr Fate is very solid with some imaginative art from Sonny Liew. The story is a bit slow, but that's helped develop Khalid, his family, his "girlfriend", and the early days of medical school. I think it needs to up the pace a bit, but I'm still happy with it.

Cyborg has been ho-hum for me so far. It's just very middle-of-the-road. I expected more out of David Walker after his excellent Shaft mini from Dynamite. Reis is doing his typical good job, but it's just been a very "safe" book so far. I'm hoping it improves soon.

Constantine: Hellblazer is no Hellblazer, but it's been solid so far. The last issue was particularly good, and probably the best Constantine story since HB ended.

I found the first two issues of Martian Manhunter to be kinda blah, but the last two have been fantastic. It's become a crazy, epic storyline, and I think it's the best art I've seen from Eddy Burrows. Of the books you've listed that I've read, this has become the best one.

(I'm hoping that Cyborg has a MM-style rebound this upcoming issue. I want the book to succeed, but it's not really the kinda book I want to read.)

Black Canary is a very art-driven and action-oriented. It's really not that similar to Batgirl. The rock band angle is really just a means to provide Dinah with a supporting cast, as the main plot deals more with her past, aliens, and government conspiracies.

Doctor Fate is a solid book. I ended up dropping it due to its slow plotting, but the characters are decently written, and the artwork is expressive.

Cyborg was ok. It's hard to really get a take on it, as it's only two issues in, and the story has barely started. Out of these, it's probably the most straight-forward superhero book.

Green Arrow has been very promising but also frustrating. Zircher nails the aesthetic down perfectly, and Percy has the right direction for GA, but the plotting is a mess. The writing takes too many shortcuts, and exploits current day headlines without bothering to follow through on them.

Teen Titans, I haven't kept up recently, but it tended to hover between bad and mediocre.

Constantine, I've only read one issue. It's a slow read, but it packs a lot of story into one issue, and the art goes for some neat ideas.

Martian Manhunter is an intriguing sci-fi mystery book. The tone is much more grim than what you'd expect, and are some very interesting ideas at play. A little bit more of the mystery unfolds issue-by-issue.

Omega Men has just been stellar. Each issue is tightly written and well-paced, with the right amount of drama and tension. Characterization is sharp and subtle.

Doctor Fate: I'm really enjoying this one, though the pace is a pretty slow.

Cyborg: Dropped after the first issue, Reis' art is fantastic as usual but I just found the plot/dialogue completely uninteresting

Constantine: The Hellblazer: A little uneven, but I think with the last issue it's really starting to work

Martian Manhunter: Wasn't really doing it for me, but still a great book

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Constantine, Doctor Fate, and Omega Men are all deffinantly worth reading. Black Canery & Martian Manhunter have been good as well.

Green Arrow and Teen Titans are just ok. Cyborg could go either way depending on how future issues play out.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Black Canary- Like others have said, if you like Batgirl, you'll probably like Black Canary. I myself don't care for it but that's just my taste. Also can't stand the art.
    Cyborg- Great art, good take on his character. It's a little slow right now, so hopefully things pick up.
    Green Arrow- Boring and lazy writing. Good art. Dropped it after #42.
    Teen Titans- Still terrible.
    Constantine The Hellblazer- Been pretty good so far, though I'll admit I'm not a big Constantine fan.
    Martian Manhunter- Love it. Absolutely love this comic. Definitely pick this one up.

Thanks for the responses thus far!

I bought a bunch of #1s to try a few of em out. Based solely on those issues I think Martian Manhunter was the strongest. I kinda like the moody atmosphere and light mystery to it.
    Otherwise Black Canary and Doc Fate were both pretty enjoyable too. Though i kinda feel id have to try another issue of both before getting the feel of them.
    Cyborg was a bit meh. Reis art is technically impressive but at the same time i found it a bit boring in that its very "housestyle." Writing wise i dont understand why it took 20-odd pages to set up the villains and hammer home the message of "everybody treats me like a machine, but im a man!"

probably wont bother with Green Arrow or TT.

Undecided on Constantine...

Fantastic Member

Black Canary
    Doctor Fate
    Cyborg
    Martian Manhunter

thanks y'all!
    Doctor Fate - I'm really enjoying this but it is slow and somewhat predictable. It's told very well though so it's worth it.

Martian Manhunter - Awesome book, starts slow/strange but only 4 issues in it has become a thrill ride.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284