Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I hope they don't incorporate him into the MU. He's way too powerful. They should keep him in his own world like DC used to do with Shazam
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Leave Miracleman in his on universe and introduce a new Marvelman version of him in the Marvel Universe. Earth-238 already had a version of Miracleman http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/miracl.htm so why not a version of him on the mainstream Marvel Earth.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

God, I hope not. I'm hoping that Gaiman and Bucky's run finally gets completely, then MM is left to stand on its own as a monument in comics. To bring it into the MU completely dilutes the content. (Yes, I know that technically MM-- or at least his grave-- appears in Moore and Davis' Captain Britain.)

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Leave Miracleman in his on universe and introduce a new Marvelman version of him in the Marvel Universe. Earth-238 already had a version of Miracleman.
    Wasn't one of the main reasons that Marvel acquired the rights to the character was finally to eventually have Marvelman in the Marvel Universe similar to what DC did previously with Captain Marvel which they eventually incorporated into their main universe?

I understand the objections to keep him in his own 'universe' as it completely different from the MU but wasn't the same objections given by Marvel themselves when they introduced the Utimates Universe and asked by fans whether there would be crossovers between the two universes? Things like the Utimates world is more realistic, more gory and true to life.Death happens,no one comes back to life and the good guys have faults and bad habits like us.Yet eventually the crossovers did happen and a couple of characters have even been incorporated eventually in the MU.

I'm not saying they should put MM. In the MU but I can see them doing it eventually if they hold on the rights to the character just for the big 'event' feel and publicity that it would create, if nothing else.

I don't see the point in not using him. I've never understood the "too powerful" thing. Its comics. Just create a threat big enough to require his assistance. Make it story that doesn't rely on powers. Do a story where the MU characters react to the arrival of this new god-like being. The writers are only limited by their imaginations here. All I care about is that we get a good story out of it.

Based on what Marvel has done with Angela, I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Miracleman stands completely and totally in its own continuity and to merge him into the MU would of course require re-working the concept. No point, in my opinion.
    agreed. now a crossover of some sort...that might be doable.

Invincible Member

I don't think the problem is that he's too powerful. It's more that his story is a deconstruction/post-modern reworking of the Shazam/Superman archetype and that simply just doesn't work in the main 616 universe. Plus Marvel already has a handful Superman archetypes in the main universe. MM showing up and being just another powerhouse wouldn't be that unique.

The MiracleMan character has a place in the multiverse, for sure. Whether or not it's in the main 616 universe, I don't know. Lots of the MiracleMan series basically lays waste to the UK and assumes global conflicts that didn't happen (yet) in the 616 world. To whatever degree that the MM story goes into explicit graphic zones, I know that would not be openly embraced by some fans as having that be a part of the main Marvel world. Plus it's somewhat problematic juxtaposing him with Captain Britain, though not impossible.

I guess we'll see. I'd like to see the character on a lot more merchandise, that's for sure. Marvel should be going all out with that aspect.

Hope Marvel don't do it.

And think there's a good chance they won't. It's the sort of thing DC would be much more likely to do. Marvel because they grew large majority of 616 "organically" by creating specific characters for it tend to be less keen on importing characters from all sorts of other places.

It's not that he's too powerful ...plenty of Marvel characters are....just that there's no point. Other writers won't suddenly become as good as Alan Moore because they use one of characters he used (Mick Anglo created, of course). Look at the DC "before Watchmen" shambles.

Spectacular Member

I dont see the benefit of merging him into the Marvel universe. Is there a story you couldn't tell in that universe with an existing superman clone (there are so many), or a new character that fits better and doesn't require compromising Marvelman?

As for shared universes, even within the Marvel universe, there used to be these semi-permeable walls between X-stories, avengers, spider-man, etc... These mashups and crossovers you've had in the near past -- Daredevil and Wolverine on Avengers, Spider-Man teaching at Xavier's -- for the most part didnt produce more interesting stories IMO. I suspect having mutant stories take place in a completely different universe might even be better.

So I think the benefits of having a gigantic shared universe, could probably use some re-examination these days, in an environment where creator-owned standalone stuff seems to be thriving.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Leave Miracleman in his on universe and introduce a new Marvelman version of him in the Marvel Universe. Earth-238 already had a version of Miracleman http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/miracl.htm so why not a version of him on the mainstream Marvel Earth.
    I'm clicking on this thread for the first time and I totally thought I'd be clever and point out he was already in Marvel continuity.

That being said, he was killed by the Fury and that's good enough for me.

Miracle Man has his own reality apart from the 616 (or whatever number they use now). But I'll wager after Gaimen is done with his story some reality hopping story will take place where marvel heroes visit it. Or vice versa.

BANNED

In the stories of Neil Gaiman Miracleman or "Marvelman" he had become the first superhero dictator of comics. A "supposedly benevolent dictator" but still a dictator. Hardly he would be accepted in the Marvel Universe by other superheroes especially Captain America who probably consider Miracleman / Marvelman as the living embodiment of the Nazi ideal of the "Übermensch Aryan" of Master Race he fought all his life to fight. Another detail is that the stories his violence is visceral and portrayed as a thing not a little "beautiful" she is shown in perversity of refinements made to shock the reader even and show that if by chance the same there was a "Superman" walking the world then their struggles would be nothing beautiful to see, it would be rather frightening and we would like not one what would see and we would beg to God that if by chance that being all powerful furious we stay escape alive of his anger. Another that Miracleman / Marvelman exist in the Marvel Universe they would have to bring all your supporting characters like, Miracle Woman / Marvel Woman, The Warpsmiths (only these last completely would turn inside out the universe cosmic of Marvel and affect completely super-teams and superheroes as Guardians of the Galaxy, Silver Surfer, Nova / Richard Rider, Quasar etc) then so I think it would not be a good idea to bring Miracleman / Marvelman to be part of the Universe Marvel.
    Last edited by Sansomon; 04-02-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Spectacular Member

i think marvel was hoping miracleman could be like the sandman, a series perpetually being reprinted but story wise being left alone. i'm not sure it has had that level of sales success, but they still have new gaiman stories to run, and we'll see if his name brings in more curious readers. i just don't see them trying to incorporate that into the mu. miracleman has to have it's own world for the story to work, mm's world building is it's most important part, and it would not work if there were any other metahumans around.