Default 31 days of Horror Comics

Every year over on the film board we do a monthly challenge where we watch a horror movie a day for October. Now that we've relaunched the board and I have no interest in being a "junior" member after 15 years of posting I feel like doing a project of getting my post count up. So here is the challenge from October 1st to October 31st you read one horror comic a day, you then post a review of what you've read. Most of the Horror comics are classic but if you want to focus on newer books I'm not going to stop you. As we don't have an "other" board this seems like the right place.

Feel free to explore a series of different books or just dive into one, or focus on a theme (Zombies, Vampires, Serial Killers, 50's Crime). Also talk about what other people have chosen.

Hopefully together we will end finding some great stuff to read.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Sounds fun, I'm in! I don't have a lot of horror comics though, so might have to improvise a bit.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I highly recommend anything from Junji Ito.

VIZ Media has recently released three gorgeous hardcovers from him: Uzumaki, Gyo, and Fragments of Horror.

Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

Uzumaki was creepy as hell! Great Japanese horror manga.

Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Sounds fun, I'm in! I don't have a lot of horror comics though, so might have to improvise a bit.
    Sure, be creative if you find an issue of a normal series that feels like a horror comic by all means read that. Three classics I can think of just off the top of my head.

Stuff like Uncanny X-men 143, Kitty Pryde alone in the X-mansion with a demon

Captain America 253, Cap goes to Europe

Hulk: The End

Some series likely have hundred issues that you could come up with looking at Daredevil, Doctor Strange, and Batman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    Sure, be creative if you find an issue of a normal series that feels like a horror comic by all means read that. Three classics I can think of just off the top of my head.

Stuff like Uncanny X-men 143, Kitty Pryde alone in the X-mansion with a demon
    I thought that was a Brood alien. Am I thinking of a different Kitty story?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I thought that was a Brood alien. Am I thinking of a different Kitty story?
    Yeah you are thinking of the first Brood story, this is different this story builds up to that huge Inferno crossover. Claremont was always slipping in horror story's in his X-men run, he did a bunch with depowered Storm.

I read the first Sweet Tooth deluxe yesterday and today (not sure if it's horror but it definitely has a lot of horror elements). It's was a surprisingly fast read but a pretty good one nonetheless. The story is fairly standard but Lemire writes the story very effectively which, combined with Lemire doing the art himself, still makes the story very enjoyable, even though it's something you've seen before quite a few times. It's not the best Vertigo series I've read (probably not in the top 15) but I definitely want to read the rest.

Edit: oh and does Phantom Stranger (the original series) count as horror? I still have 30 issues to go on that bad boy.
    Last edited by victorxd1999; 10-02-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

October 1st - Tales of Suspense #8 (1960)

A giant octopus begins menacing a sea port in the Soviet Union. They ask an American scientist for help and, using a Geiger counter, he realizes that Monstro is merely an ordinary octopus that gained great size due to secret atomic weapons testing of the Reds that will wear off during the next 24 hour period.

This Jack Kirby kid sure did draw pretty I tell ya, seriously look at the detail he put in that cover. Sadly we don't get a full issue of Monstro destorying stuff, but we get three other stories including a very nice little robot story at the end with a good twist.

October 2nd Tales to Astonish 23

An explorer discovers that native African wood carvings are actually an advance fifth column invasion force under the command of their leader named Moomba. Moomba gives his command to strike and all the carvings get up and begin to herd and intimidate their human owners as the wood they are crafted of is so dense that neither fire nor any other human weapons can defeat them. Yup giant evil Tiki gods, watch out Brady Bunch! Anyways not Kirby's best work but the better story is done by Steve Ditko

Just a man hearing a voice on an Asteroid from nowhere, great visuals nice creepy setting totally worth the red.

October 2nd - Tales to Astonish 23 (1961)

Read Arkham Asylum by Morrison

What an amazing and deep read. Would love to read it again, I would probably stare at every page for a few minutes, there's just so much to take in. Brilliant creepy atmosphere as well. The art is bloody amazing. Just brilliant. Definitely going to get more from McKean. Makes me wish Morrison did more horror stories.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Read Arkham Asylum by Morrison

What an amazing and deep read. Would love to read it again, I would probably stare at every page for a few minutes, there's just so much to take in. Brilliant creepy atmosphere as well. The art is bloody amazing. Just brilliant. Definitely going to get more from McKean. Makes me wish Morrison did more horror stories.
    What I've read from Nameless is quite a horror- sci fi book. But yeah he has a talent for horror.

I recently read this classic from Jack Kirby and Joe Simon and was kind of taken aback by its ending: http://comicsalliance.com/haunted-ho...ive-halloween/

Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    I recently read this classic from Jack Kirby and Joe Simon and was kind of taken aback by its ending: http://comicsalliance.com/haunted-ho...ive-halloween/
    Great story and creepy! Thank you for the link.