Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member

Question: I was rereading your Kimetsu No Yaiba breakdown, and I had a question about Terminology.

You refer to a tier between Comic Book Peak Human and Bullet Timer, Ringer.

What exactly is a Ringer?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Question: I was rereading your Kimetsu No Yaiba breakdown, and I had a question about Terminology.

You refer to a tier between Comic Book Peak Human and Bullet Timer, Ringer.

What exactly is a Ringer?
    Ringer is a loose category, primarily used when talking about Lady Shiva back in the day. It's a term for a character whose feats are clearly beyond peak human but lacks the real solid stuff to bring them up the level of bullet timing.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Ringer is a loose category, primarily used when talking about Lady Shiva back in the day. It's a term for a character whose feats are clearly beyond peak human but lacks the real solid stuff to bring them up the level of bullet timing.
    So, to give a hypothetical scenario, say there a comic book where a guy gets shot at, and dodges the bullet while his internal monologue says something to the effect of "I don't need to be faster than a bullet in order to move 1 foot before it moves 10."

Would that be a ringer, or is that the lower end of bullet timer?

So, to give a hypothetical scenario, say there a comic book where a guy gets shot at, and dodges the bullet while his internal monologue says something to the effect of "I don't need to be faster than a bullet in order to move 1 foot before it moves 10."

Would that be a ringer, or is that the lower end of bullet timer?
    That's low end bullet time.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Art Thread on CBR

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Even more specific, it's a term Rumbles use to designate someone who exceeds what comics present as peak human ranges without being 'enhanced'. It is generally used for speed, but realistically applies across the board. The Kingpin, for example, would be a ringer. It just so happens he would be considered such due to his strength and durability.

A lot of people use it just for speed these days, because we DO have a solid category for 'Comic book peak human' and 'bullet-time', but nothing 'in between'. Basically, 'enjoys a speed advantage over a comic book peak human, but is not so fast that they can blitz a comic book peak human'.

It's also in the Rumbles dictionary.

Background - the term, unsurprisingly, comes from a loose interpretation of a Batgirl issue where tapes of Cassandra Cain are being analyzed by a government black ops agency trying to figure out how she does what she does. One of them accuses their superior of 'putting a ringer in', or somesuch. Some people on Rumbles started immediately using that as a term for 'someone who is not superhuman, but still does superhuman stuff'. Really, it's an actual English expression.

Noun. ringer (plural ringers) (slang) Any person or thing that is fraudulent; a fake or impostor.

It's often used in situations like competitions. Say there's an amateur boxing competition. But one sponsor slips in a pro-boxer under a false name. One would accuse them of putting a 'ringer' in the match.

Here, the scientist is basically saying 'You lied to us - she's not actually unenhanced, she's really a metahuman!'
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 11-25-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

"...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

"[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Even more specific, it's a term Rumbles use to designate someone who exceeds what comics present as peak human ranges without being 'enhanced'. It is generally used for speed, but realistically applies across the board. The Kingpin, for example, would be a ringer. It just so happens he would be considered such due to his strength and durability.

A lot of people use it just for speed these days, because we DO have a solid category for 'Comic book peak human' and 'bullet-time', but nothing 'in between'. Basically, 'enjoys a speed advantage over a comic book peak human, but is not so fast that they can blitz a comic book peak human'.

It's also in the Rumbles dictionary.

Background - the term, unsurprisingly, comes from a loose interpretation of a Batgirl issue where tapes of Cassandra Cain are being analyzed by a government black ops agency trying to figure out how she does what she does. One of them accuses their superior of 'putting a ringer in', or somesuch. Some people on Rumbles started immediately using that as a term for 'someone who is not superhuman, but still does superhuman stuff'. Really, it's an actual English expression.

Noun. ringer (plural ringers) (slang) Any person or thing that is fraudulent; a fake or impostor.

It's often used in situations like competitions. Say there's an amateur boxing competition. But one sponsor slips in a pro-boxer under a false name. One would accuse them of putting a 'ringer' in the match.

Here, the scientist is basically saying 'You lied to us - she's not actually unenhanced, she's really a metahuman!'
    Interesting background.

Though personally, I think a Comic Book Writer's idea for Peak Human is probably greater than what the board defines as a peak human, especially the more modern writers. Probably due to power creep, and anime changing the general perception of what an unenhanced person can do.

Interesting background.

Though personally, I think a Comic Book Writer's idea for Peak Human is probably greater than what the board defines as a peak human, especially the more modern writers. Probably due to power creep, and anime changing the general perception of what an unenhanced person can do.
    Comicbook Peak Human is not defined by it's unenhanced origins, it's a level of ability. Captain America is the poster child for CBPH but he is enhanced by the Super Solider Serum. It's a generalised level that is often applied to unenhanced people. Cap and his peers are well beyond what any normal peak human could do.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Art Thread on CBR

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Comicbook Peak Human is not defined by it's unenhanced origins, it's a level of ability. Captain America is the poster child for CBPH but he is enhanced by the Super Solider Serum. It's a generalised level that is often applied to unenhanced people. Cap and his peers are well beyond what any normal peak human could do.
    I know. What I was saying is that, because of changes in pop culture, modern day (by which I mean the last 20 years or so) writers have a different idea of what that level of ability is than older writers did or this board does.

Cap, as you said, is the textbook definition of a CBPH, and this board is very firm on the "CBPH's are not Bullet timers" point. Yet in the books themselves, you have people flat out asking Cap "So how do you dodge bullets?"

(To be 100 percent clear, I'm not arguing that the board should change it's position, I'm just observing the difference in thought processes)