BANNED

Default will Providence be Alan Moore's best work

when its all set and done

what an amazing series its been

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

That honor still belongs to From Hell.

But Providence could be his best work of this decade.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    That honor still belongs to From Hell.

But Providence could be his best work of this decade.
    how many issues are in Providence..do you know many he has planned

4 issues in so far

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    how many issues are in Providence..do you know many he has planned
    Twelve.
    ____

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    Twelve.
    ____
    sweet..yeah i think this is going to turn out to be his best series this decade from him like you said

BANNED

its described as the "Watchmen of Horror"

I am enjoying it, but it is far from his best work. And as an HP Lovecraft devotee, unless this book ramps things up for the ending and gives me night terrors and a pseudo-nervous breakdown, it won't rank as a horror classic. Like, my first Lovecraft experiences felt like brainal rape, he is the one dude whose insanity is actually contageous. So far, Providence is decent, but nowhere near as engaging as Watchmen.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 09-29-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I've only gotten the first two issues so far but yeah its really good stuff. I can't say it's his best work yet, by any stretch- but it's rad.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

It's very good, but I don't think it's among his best work yet. I rate From Hell as the best of his completed work, and that has the advantage of Eddie Campbell artwork, which just drips with atmosphere. (I actually think the two released issues of Big Numbers are the best thing he's done, but unfortunately, the book fell off the rails.) I'm not as keen on Burrows artwork, but it works when it works. I do think the book improves by the issue, so there is a chance it will be among Moore's best work when it is done.

BANNED

5 issues in how is everyone loving the series so far

7 more left

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

It hasn't got Cobweb in it or the golden-skinned, golden-eyed grandson of Moriarty bullshitting the devils out of the descendant of Fu Manchu who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men until he explodes. So, no, not for me.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    5 issues in how is everyone loving the series so far

7 more left
    My feelings are pretty much the same as they've been all along. It's a very interesting story with some intriguing thoughts and extrapolations on Lovecraft's work, but the art doesn't invoke the kind of atmosphere I think the book needs. It's well done art on a technical level and the storytelling is solid, but it doesn't really build that kind of suspense that horror comics need. I'm actually enjoying the text portions more because my imagination is doing more of the heavy lifting, and it's working in a Sienkiewicz/Campbell/Muth kinda vibe.

All that said, it is one of the best books on the stands, and I get excited when I hear a new issue is coming out.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 10-30-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    It hasn't got Cobweb in it or the golden-skinned, golden-eyed grandson of Moriarty bullshitting the devils out of the descendant of Fu Manchu who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men until he explodes. So, no, not for me.
    It hasn't got that yet. I have it on good authority that the series takes an unexpected turn in issue eight when Ash Williams and his hooptie fall out of a time portal into the 1920s, and all sorts of ultraviolent hijinks ensue as Mr Black gets more and more shocked and frightened. Hail to the King, baby!

(As I was typing this, I realized that I would read the crap out of this series if it took that turn.)
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 10-30-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It hasn't got that yet. I have it on good authority that the series takes an unexpected turn in issue eight when Ash Williams and his hooptie fall out of a time portal into the 1920s, and all sorts of ultraviolent hijinks ensue as Mr Black gets more and more shocked and frightened. Hail to the King, baby!

(As I was typing this, I realized that I would read the crap out of this series if it took that turn.)
    For me, Moore's real genius has never been his slow, articulate organizational skills, even if that's what gets him mostly noticed. It's when he just veers it something completely silly headlong and in earnest. Moore's mad **** is some of the best. The hotel in WildCATs that affects probabilities to gag ends over and over and then... solves nearly the entire long-running plots just by being there. Splash Brannigan or William Gull just determinedly and nonstop being themselves and pursuing their agendas as if they make all the sense in the world.

So, yes, a late in the game crossover like that would get my attention quite a bit.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)