Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new Oracle?

Spectacular Member

Default A new Oracle?

Since Barbara Gordon is back to being Batgirl, does anyone think there is need for a new Oracle? It's been brought up often regarding the number of Bat vigilantes residing in Gotham City, and I'm wondering if there is a need for a Bat-traffic controller, expecially in co-ordinating larger cross-over story arcs.

Frankie from Batgirl is seemingly being setup to be the new Oracle, but then again her network of heroes seems limited to Batgirl and Black Canary.

Julia is definitely more of the de-facto Bat-traffic controller in comparison, at least before Bruce got amnesia and she started working for the new Robo-Batman.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I would be cool with either Frankie or Julia.

Incredible Member

Carrie Kelly perhaps

BANNED

I'd rather have an old Oracle...

Incredible Member

What's wrong with Pennyone and Pennytwo?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think the Pennyworths fill that role pretty well. And Barbara could just employ some Oracle-like hacking skills as Batgirl. There really isn't a need for a new Oracle.

I LOVED Oracle, when she started (mainly because Barbra Gordon finally had a role in the Batman books again) ... but over time I think Oracle became a bit of an easy cop-out for storylines ...

... this person behind a keyboard who could be called on anyone at anytime to look through security cameras, close things down, hack into everyones personal information.

It was super cool early 1990's when internet technology was new ... but that role doesn't seem so special anymore.

And I wouldn't think requires sitting in front of a massive super computer. The right person could do it on the go with a laptop, one would assume these days.

Ultimate Member

Julia makes the most sense in that regard, at least to me. She already kind of fills that role to a degree. And Eternal even had her making fun of how lame "Pennytwo" sounded as a codename (because Batman clearly just made it up on the spot), so maybe she decides to get a new one (Oracle).

Im all for a new Oracle, im just not big on the idea of calling the new Oracle "Oracle".
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-27-2015 at 08:42 PM.

I think there is a need for that role in the superhero community. Whether I'd call them Oracle is debatable, I kinda like it just being Babs thing.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

I'm not too big on Julia being the one to get that role, just because she's also very good in the field and I think it would be a waste to lock her into an Oracle position. Running OPs, coming up with plans, coordinating the teams with the ocassional need to get out there and bust heads yes! Having her as the go to for disabling alarms, hacking networks for info, the little tecnie things not so much.

Frankie makes more sense considering her proximity and experience with Babs and Dinah.

I wouldn't my another person fulfilling the Oracle role in DCU. Frankie sure seems headed that way in the current Batgirl run.

However, I wouldn't want this person calling themselves Oracle, it wouldn't feel right. Barbara Gordon was Oracle, just like Dick Grayson was Nightwing. And yes she is Batgirl again and I'm happy with that, but Oracle will always be a part of Barbara, part of her history in comics and of what she represented.

You can give that role to someone else as long as you give them another code name.

All-New Member

Oracle did bugger all really, I mean she was good at looking up stuff in the Internet and hacking into things, but in the end she was just a voice on the other end of the phone. Nothing Alfred doesn't do now since everything seems available from the cave