Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Love the show, I think it's an assett to comedy.

Zimbabwe is just bad in general.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    I don't really think of it as bad for comics. I just think of it as bad. It's not funny. It's pandering. It's low-brow. It's tasteless. There's nothing clever about it. There's nothing creative about it. It's pablum
    Same.

I enjoyed the pilot fine though, but not much from there.

Sometimes i feel it's written by a jock you know, with all the stereotypes that kind of person would have.

Fantastic Member

I've always been half way between being a jock type and a nerd type. That said, I love the show actually. Sure, a lot of the stereotypes don't apply to me, but who cares? I think a lot of people turn a blind eye to the deep characterization that takes place. Sheldon is someone with deep mental issues who lives in a world that is mostly foreign to his default mode of operation. He retreats into fantasy and sci-fi worlds to get away from it. Raj struggles with being a straight man and taken seriously as such with some of his effeminate interests. And plus, at least the use real references. When I first watched the show, I was afraid they were going to use a mixture of shallow Star Trek references and hammy fake sci-fi references. Its not that I don't get the hate for the show, or even think that some of it doesn't have some merit, but I think people turn a blind eye to a lot of the positives.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I thought the show was as funny as any previous sitcom you could name, until last season. Since then, I rarely laugh out loud anymore, which was a frequent occurrence before then. As for its positive or negative impact on comics, I think it has helped more than it has hurt for the most part.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    I've always been half way between being a jock type and a nerd type.
    That's basically me, too. IOW, I love playing baseball and analyzing the stats. It makes for a more balanced life, IMO.

The people on the show actually reads comics and talks about them???

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    The people on the show actually reads comics and talks about them???
    The fictional characters themselves? Constantly.

I don't think it's done a damn thing to the world of comics otherwise more people would be reading (based on their audience levels).
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

i love the show (although I am a little behind, I tend to wait for dvd/blu ray releases instead of watching it as it airs), and quite frankly find a lot in common with the characters. stereotypes exist for a reason, that doesn't mean they're bad
    Romans 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs- heirs of God and co heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory

I mean, I suppose these characters are loved by audiences around the world, so that's kinda good... but honestly, I find the nerd characters of The Big Bang Theory to be, well, unlikable jerks. If they really existed and went to my local comic shop I'd give them a wide berth.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I mean, I suppose these characters are loved by audiences around the world, so that's kinda good... but honestly, I find the nerd characters of The Big Bang Theory to be, well, unlikable jerks. If they really existed and went to my local comic shop I'd give them a wide berth.
    I mean, they've gone way out of their way to save their local comic shop on multiple occasions. It would be shut down easily without them.

Can't say whether it's good or bad for comic book sales, but at least it shows that adults read comic books. On the downside, it seems to imply there is only one type of comic book fan. Be nice if we saw other sorts of people around.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    I would say bad. Whenever I tell anyone about my hobby of collecting comics they always say "Oh! You are like those guys on Big Bang Theory."
    1. I have never watched the show.
    2. From what little I have seen (in commercials and previews) I am nothing like them.
    I get that sometimes, "I was just watching Big Bang Theory and thought of you". If anyone, I guess I'm kind of like Leonard, but otherwise, not really.