Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

This book's absolutely fantastic. Loving the slow burn detective noir story we are getting here.

image.jpg
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    We are probably going to get a Penny-Two eventually.
    I hadn't thought about it, but if Eternal is any indication, you might be onto something....

Great...two covert agents using part of their actual name in their codename....and they're related.

-facepalm-
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    This book's absolutely fantastic. Loving the slow burn detective noir story we are getting here.

image.jpg
    So many great panels. I really love the art, and the slow burn, as you said.

The art kinda reminds me of Matt Wagner, but a the coloring seems softer.

Loving it.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

*hugs art*

Gossshh this is why I love comic books, Manapul's art is breath taking!

"Amazeballs". Sorry but I'm probably going to be saying it all week.

The squid fight was pretty epic. The characterizations are definitive. (More gushing deleted for time.) Detective Comics is finally worthy of being the DC namesake again.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    The page of Batman on a church steeple pulling his cowl back down then leaping into war on crime is probably the best Batman page I've seen done this decade.
    I didn't get that page. I didn't understand why he had his cowl off.

My favorite Batman comic being published at this time,it all works the story the art the portrayal of The Batman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    I didn't get that page. I didn't understand why he had his cowl off.
    That crossed my mind. But then I didn't care anymore. Maybe Bruce likes the breeze to blow his hair when he roosts on Gothic steeples.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

image.jpg
    I need a print of that.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    The page of Batman on a church steeple pulling his cowl back down then leaping into war on crime is probably the best Batman page I've seen done this decade.

Doing the police procedural TV show bit and letting us into Harvey's private life is charming as hell. I mean he's a slob, but he's got a great, classic kind of vibe for a slob. An old-school slob. Sports and the booze and Bogart movies and stubble. And two cats, 'cause he's married to the job.

Gorgeous visuals. Real detective work, but they still made time and room for things like SQUID FIGHTS and compassionate conversations and a few more strands of possible clues or red herrings (I really have no idea which is which at this point; middle chapter after all. We get the big dangerous death-trap set-piece this issue, not the answers.)
    Yep it was close to perfection.

Now if they bring back Julie Madison or Silver St. Cloud haha.

But I love that we get an inkling of how Bullock lives.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

The stars of the issue (via Manapul's Instagram):

image.jpg
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. ?man View Post
    It's funny because I was strongly considering to drop Detective Comics once John Layman and Jason Fabok left but I decided to at the very least give it a chance and I'm glad I did because Francis Manupal and Brian Buccellato is knocking it out of the park. What intrigues me the most is the level of depth the characters have on the canvas.
    Same here, I was also thinking of leaving Aquaman too. Glad I stuck around for both.

The art is just exceptional.

The stars of the issue (via Manapul's Instagram):

image.jpg
    It was a great scene, I was a little surprised that he even bothered to turn the TV on though. The stacks of case files fit perfectly, I just expected him to be the type of person that forgets they have a TV until a championship game is on (and I definitely had him pegged as a baseball or hockey guy before basketball). Manapul was right though, the cats stole the scene.

Oh, and; Nightwing #30 and Grayson (because that's all we can talk about around here lately).

I loved the cats too! I immediately thought organic payoff for the next time Selina spares him some pain or hardship in some story because she learns of his love of his cats. But equally great about seeing into Harvey's private life was the call from his mother! We will feel the bond once she shows up and Harvey is concerned for her in some way with these precidented details. Plus, seeing him do thorough detective work for this case is all good props for him.

The idea of Penny-One was probably clever/convenient to start but, by now, Bats should realize this is very dumb codename to keep. I don't like it either. Someone with 1/2 the smarts of Luthor should figure a connection and blow his cover. Of course, someone with 1/4 the smarts of Luthor should have put 2 and 2 together about Nightwing's reveal by now. So... there's that...

This issue was not perfect but overall this issue deserves the ton of praise this thread's giving it. Another nitpick, is if he's going to go with the GOLD belt it defeats the purpose of him ditching the GOLD chest circle if the colorist is allowed to ignore the anti-covert shine whether it's gold or not. Also, why didn't electrocuting the squid with his Batfingertips also shock Batman with the water conductivity?? And are we going to assume Batman prepped with the deus ex machina tech or that is was part of his arsenal to expect from now on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    Also, why didn't electrocuting the squid with his Batfingertips also shock Batman with the water conductivity?? And are we going to assume Batman prepped with the deus ex machina tech or that is was part of his arsenal to expect from now on?
    While it does seem a little Deus Ex, but in practice it's easily explainable. First because it's water he can't use actual ground as a Ground like an electric fence because he would have been shocked too. If you think about the thing as more of a stun gun then: If Batman's suit is the battery, and his fingertips the contact points then yes when the fingertips were exposed the water would have arced the voltage and stunned him too. However if he had pressure switches in the gloves then the current wouldn't have been released until he gripped the tentacle hard enough to trip the switches. The problem with that is he would have to have used both hand on opposite sides of the creature's heart or brain to have any real effect. Otherwise it would have been isolated to just the area he touched like a 9volt battery on your tongue.