Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Will CBS's "Supergirl" Show Inspire a New DC Comics Title?

Co-Publisher Jim Lee says the company "would be remiss" if it did not capitalize on the hero's newfound level of popularity.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

I hope not, but it will probably happen.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wouldn't say it's newfound- Kara was selling fine enough digits when she got canceled. Glad to see a commitment to her getting some legs though, Bedard's run aside I've enjoyed her NEW 52 book.

Can't say I'm at all interested in the TV program, sadly.

Will Supergirl get "batgirled" and end up in the comics with an outfit even more "practical" than the one on the tv show? Who knows what the braintrust has in mind.

If it were up to me, I'd launch a book in the show continuity, and a second title in the DCU as a platform to draw Supergirl fans into other heroes by having her headline a team book - maybe "JLU" - but not so filled with arcane DCU knowledge. Something with a set team lineup along the lines of "JLI" which was straight up super-heroes but with a bit of lightness and focused on team dynamics. Supergirl here wouldn't really have a personal life so as to not confuse fans of the tv show when things don't line up.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-28-2015 at 07:44 AM.

I was surprised there wasn't a new Supergirl book launched with DC You.

Spectacular Member

I don't know if I would describe the tv costume as "practical" when it's really pretty iconic/traditional. Supergirl was 'batgirled' back when she had the white crop top circa JL Unlimited. Lose the darkening pantyhose on this tv version and translate that to the comics and it's a winner.

The former comic title was a big fat misfire. A clunky costume, a joyless read, a Red Lantern?...no...swing and a miss.

Start it anew, inject some life into the character, as crappy as the movie was Helen Slater's earnest and wide eyed optimism was a winner so echo more of that.

Astonishing Member

The nu 52 comic was pretty good in its first year -- with the exception of those weird knee-less boots. I think the TV show made the right choice in connecting her with the Danvers-- and making her come across as more human than alien.

Will CBS's "Supergirl" Show Inspire a New DC Comics Title?
    Right....

I think we all know what the next DC title SHOULD be...

BatelaanOfBurnside.jpg

Fantastic Member

Don't know why everyone here thinks this implies Lee is hinting there will be a new book soon. To me it comes across as the opposite - he's saying that there won't be, he's just trying to not to say it explicitly. Let's be honest here, if they wanted a Supergirl book they'd already be publishing one. They don't.

Astonishing Member

I think it's pretty much a slam dunk that we'll get something.

I'm more curious as to what sort of creative team might be on it. Would like to see Genevieve Valentine give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    I hope not, but it will probably happen.
    Why not? This show looks pretty fun and a Supergirl comic with that kind of energy would be great. The costume is miles better than it's been in years too.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Why not? This show looks pretty fun and a Supergirl comic with that kind of energy would be great. The costume is miles better than it's been in years too.
    I agree. But this would require DC to be able to see an opportunity right under their noses and to have a vision for Supergirl. They have neither.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Agreed on all counts. It looks like I'm going to love the show. It'd be great to have some sort of comic book tie-in/cash grab (if they can do it for Arrow and Flash, why not Supergirl, too?).
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'm relatively sure they will do a digital first book connected to the show as they have done for both Flash and Arrow in the past. Whether the show will be the impetus for a new Supergirl book in the main DCU is unknown at this point. I hope they do have a new book though.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    Don't know why everyone here thinks this implies Lee is hinting there will be a new book soon. To me it comes across as the opposite - he's saying that there won't be, he's just trying to not to say it explicitly. Let's be honest here, if they wanted a Supergirl book they'd already be publishing one. They don't.
    iDK what is going on in DC, but they are just too dumb at this point. IDK why cancel a book so early, it could going on until september, some good $$$. Then relaunch on october or november, with a more tv show vibe.
    if there was a digital first we would know by now, and DC doesn't launch digital firsts for show outside of CW