Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What does it mean when someone says "I just wanted someone to tell me I'm not crazy"?

I have heard someone else utter this phrase twice on the internet. And I myself have recently used it multiple times in conversations with someone.

For example... when someone is in a fierce debate with another person over which character would win in a rumble, that someone argues KNOWS that with all facts and evidence that character X would beat character Y, but his opponent keeps claiming and arguing the opposite to the point where he will not concede and keeps telling him that character Y is >>>>>> character X repeatedly that no matter what proof or points the guy provides, he will not accept them whatsoever. So this someone gets tired and frustrated, so he decides to go to another board and tell them that he's having an ongoing debate with this guy over character X vs character Y and tells them how idiotic and stubborn his debate opponent (and the opposing side) is being and that he just cannot stand it anymore and feels like he's being driven up the wall and the people on the other board just assumed that he wanted to recruit someone on his side or wanted blind sympathy from everyone, but the guy clears himself up and tells everyone that he just wanted to be told that "he's not crazy" (and later on, someone from the forum tells the guy that he's not wrong and that character X would indeed beat character Y, much to the original poster's satisfaction).

And another example... someone (let's call him Person A) gets into a large-scale confrontation with another poster (let's call him Person B) on an internet forum and a third poster (let's call him Person C) from a different forum happens to stumble upon their conversation and observes the altercation between person A and person B in full detail. While person A and person B are arguing with each other non-stop, person A also posts on the same site that person C is from and say that person C has never posted on the forum person B was arguing with person A on, but lurks there (to give you some particular context for a hypothetical reason, say something like reading comment threads on a Death Battle episode). Person C happens to meet person A in a thread or in a VM and talks with him a bit and tries to sympathize with his frustrations over arguing with person B and after a while, person C doesn't speak to person A much and when he did, he was always nice and friendly to person A never wanting to get him upset for diplomatic reasons. Later on, person A and B (temporarily) gets along with each other and then immediately after start fighting again, so person A goes to the forum that person C is on and tries to tell him about what happened, and then person C tells him to chill out and told him that he assumed that they both got along already, but the next thing you know, person A starts to lash out at person C and starts acting like a bitch to him, saying that he's a fucking idiot simply because person C also happened to partially sympathize with the same opinions as person B and coincidentally shared some of the same interests as person B, and as a result person A not only accuses person C of being a "stalker" and a "troll", but accuses person C of being the same guy as person B, despite lack of proof. Person C strongly corrects him that he is not person B and that he has nothing to do with their argument, and suddenly person A bitches and whines to the whole forum about how person C (or person B) doesn't agree with his opinions and views and other petty stuff and says that person C is person B and keeps insulting him.

and no matter what evidence person C (and even other people) provides to person A that he is NOT person B, person A still adamantly refuses to believe otherwise and made up his mind that person C = person B. So person C gets tired of this and goes to the same board person B to try and find him or his friends to convince person A and the others that he is not person B and goes "I just want someone to tell me i'm not crazy".

well what do you think this phrase means? what does it mean when someone says "tell me i'm not crazy" and sometimes whenever I want someone to tell me i'm not wrong, they always go "if you know you're right and if the others are wrong, why do you make a big deal out of it and act all worried", and it makes me wonder if I could ask others the same question if they assert their views are right and that the opposing ones are wrong.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

It means people don't like to be thought of as crazy and will seek evidence to the contrary

It means they just wanted someone to tell them they're not crazy.

"I can't believe other people are disagreeing with me, and I want someone else to validate my opinion."

Extraordinary Member

Because crazy people usually argue with so much strength and conviction you can get caught up and start to think you're crazy not them. That's when you need a sane person to parachute you out and tell you "Your not crazy."

BANNED

I've only heard it used in the sense of "Please consider this unusual thing I'm seeing, experiencing or thinking. I want to see if someone else has the same interpretation."

BANNED

K, seems like we're all set here.

BANNED

Thanks for the answers guys. But have you guys ever got into an argument and people started saying things that were obviously the opposite of truthfulness to your eyes and that they actually take it seriously? Or said an opinion that you thought no one in their right mind would ever say?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys. But have you guys ever got into an argument and people started saying things that were obviously the opposite of truthfulness to your eyes and that they actually take it seriously? Or said an opinion that you thought no one in their right mind would ever say?
    Refer to my post.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Refer to my post.
    alright... but you ever had any opinion that you thought would be popular and mainstream, but turns it isn't in circles you go to?

Extraordinary Member

alright... but you ever had any opinion that you thought would be popular and mainstream, but turns it isn't in circles you go to?
    Yeah that happens when I go to crazy town. The thing is you usually find out you're there too late because crazy people seem normal at first. Until you say something like the U.S flag is red white and blue and they're like "No it's not." Then they have other people agree with them and you're like WTF???

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Bullet Sniper wonders:

No. Because I couldn't care less whether my opinion is "popular and mainstream", the thought never enters my head.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Incredible Member

Usually the most noticeable examples in my experience involved either Gawker websites or sections of tumbler with radicalized "activists". Recognizing the crazy is important, as you're not going to get them to consider your point and they'll just spout rhetoric that they're incapable of seeing the flaws in. Arguing becomes redundant as they'll simply assert the same thing over and over and when that happens it's best to just walk away.
    You know what's true, you're willing to weigh the validity of their points and try to show them your view and if they're closeminded towards worldviews that aren't their own, they aren't worth your time.

And i have heard some exceptional crazy online (technically read when it's in print) and it can be quite mind-boggling

Every time anyone is religious or pro-guns or homophobic or racist.

BANNED

Sure, I deal with it every day, because most people believe in God and religion. That seems crazy to me.