Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Darwyn Cooke and Tim Sale's Kryptonite

Just read this and interested in others views.

Anyway, here's my own take. First up, think basic idea Darwin started with was a darn good one. ( Basically he decided to go back to start of Superman's early Metropolis career...when he couldn't be sure about level of his powers and invulnerability in particular, and explore his feelings as he met new challenges. His way into that was to re-write the classic Bill Finger that launched Kryptonite in comics to be more in-line with modern tastes.)

Second, I thought the Tim Sale artwork was wonderful. (In the afterword Tim actually gives Darwin some of the credit for that...the two of them no doubt discussed the exact look they wanted, and Lois Lane's look..for example...was inspired by earlier work by Darwyn.)

Third: pretty good story, with some particularly good touches showing the relationships between the three Kents.

So...yes...I enjoyed the read. But, for me, this felt like a good read, rather than a vey good read. Is that the general verdict?? Or do some have stronger feelings?
    Last edited by JackDaw; 09-28-2015 at 11:54 AM.

I remember really enjoying Kryptonite. It has some interesting ideas and I really love the whole style of the book. There was some good characterization. I'm not sure it's good enough to be called one of Superman's greatest stories, but I do feel it's a underrated story. Definitely better than the average Superman story or even the average comic story in general. It just feels like it doesn't quite make it into great territory for some reason. That being said, I'd recommend it anyone who is interested in a solid Superman story. I guess that while it's a well written and clever Superman story, it lacks any real punch or impact. So it ends up being a tad forgettable. I know I forget to mention it in some of those "recommended reading" threads. I read it and thought "that was really good", then put it down and kind of forgot about it.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I will echo Manduck's thoughts. It's not all that memorable, but solid stuff. I do remember being disappointed that it wasnt canon to the post IC Superman continuity as it was a clever retelling of the Bill Finger Story.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I remember really enjoying Kryptonite. It has some interesting ideas and I really love the whole style of the book. There was some good characterization. I'm not sure it's good enough to be called one of Superman's greatest stories, but I do feel it's a underrated story. Definitely better than the average Superman story or even the average comic story in general. It just feels like it doesn't quite make it into great territory for some reason. That being said, I'd recommend it anyone who is interested in a solid Superman story. I guess that while it's a well written and clever Superman story, it lacks any real punch or impact. So it ends up being a tad forgettable. I know I forget to mention it in some of those "recommended reading" threads. I read it and thought "that was really good", then put it down and kind of forgot about it.
    Yes, that is pretty much how I feel...I couldn't put my finger on just why I didn't like it even more...why it didn't rise above as "solid enjoyable read" for me....mind you that's probably praise from me when I compare it to my thoughts on several; mainstream super hero yarns.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Much as I like Darwyn Cooke, he's not the greatest writer. I think I tend to think Matt Wagner is a better writer, and they're both true writer/pencillers.

Cooke doesn't do anything noticeably bad as a writer, I don't think, but he leaves me underwhelmed. I just don't get caught up in it all like with other writers.

Kryptonite is just solid, I agree.

I think Cooke might need a co-writer often or just pencil while another writes.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”